Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, what's a current, average valuation for a 916 with low mileage in excellent condition? Just trying to get a ballpark range, as I know they've become more desirable.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Depends on condition, originality/modifications and if it is a Varese or Bologna produced. In general, an original low mileage Varese produced bike in excellent condition will command the highest price. Rising prices are due to these bikes becoming collectible as they age and collectors value originality.A low mileage all original Varese 916 can command ~$10K, while a modified low mileage Bologna 916 produced the same year can only be worth $5K.

·
Registered
385 Posts
While certainly originality and mileage are factors, scarcity is predominate one that affects value. Contrary to popular belief, Ducati really didn't make many of these. Plus with the yahoos over the past 15 years buying them at $5k and then crashing or just throwing them out, each year there are fewer and fewer good ones left.

·
Matt
644 Posts
i don't understand why people pay more for the ones built in varese. apart from them being the oldest i guess.
I agree with Ray...and to build on what he said, I think the Varese bikes are only more valuable in scenarios where they are original, in excellent condition and have very low mileage. Once you get into bikes that are higher mileage and/or modified and/or not well maintained I think there's really no incremental differential with a Varese bike compared to a Bologna built bike. For me the Varese bikes are desirable as they were the first of the 916's and the story (often embellished) of why they were built at Varese is interesting. And even where the Varese can command a higher price, it's pretty subtle compared to the early SP's vs. the base 916's.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
“It’s loud, it’s hot, it’s uncomfortable, but it’s great. You can’t not have a smile on your face.”

As far as descriptions of the 916 series go, this one, from the Hagerty article linked above, is just about perfect. My only issue with it (the article) is the authors following assertion:

"Plastic fairings are becoming accepted in the collectible-motorcycle world, and which fairing would buyers want more than the red one gracing the Ducati 916?"

Everyone knows that the 916 series bikes in "Giallo" are better looking... ;)

Edit: Replaced linked PhotoFucket pic...

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Well, Hagerty just put the 916 on its Top 10 Bull List... so clearly they're expecting prices to climb.

Only 412 made it to the US in '95 (only market to get the mono), so 25 years later they're not exactly common.
the mono (916 strada) was the euro 1994 model year bike. for 1995 we got the biposto. don't understand why they did it that way in terms of production logistics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Belter- it's a good question. The US bikes even all got an Öhlins rear after someone stateside complained about the Showa rebound damping.

I think Cagiva really wanted to crack the US (like every italian firm back then) and were willing to continue making the P8 Strada, even though it cost more to produce, because they believed a Monoposto would sell better in the states than a Biposto.

Any former Cagiva North America employees lurking that can clarify the reason?

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
I realize that is an unpopular view, and am equally aware that, at least to the best of my knowledge, the 916 was never offered in any other livery than Rosso, but IMO, the 916 Series bikes look far better, and far less cliche', in yellow.

Am kind of partial to the '02 slab side fairings as well... ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
They made a bunch of yellow 916s in 1998....

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
They made a bunch of yellow 916s in 1998....

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I've literally never seen one...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I realize that is an unpopular view, and am equally aware that, at least to the best of my knowledge, the 916 was never offered in any other livery than Rosso, but IMO, the 916 Series bikes look far better, and far less cliche', in yellow.
That bike would look good in purple with pink polka dots....

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
That bike would look good in purple with pink polka dots....
I wish I could share what’s in my photo folder right now...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I've literally never seen one...
Have they ever made 95 Ducati 916s in yellow? I always thought that the 748 was yellow and the 916 red but from times to time I see some yellow early 916 popping up for sale.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
pre 98 my the only euro spec yellow 748 was the sp. they may have made single seat sp look ones for the usa in yellow? 98 onwards they made red and yellow all round. don't think we got any yellow 916 though, don't recall now. lots of yellow 996.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts