Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After my SP3 got stolen, I am so paranoid about losing my SPS. I have bumped up the security at home and obviously have insurance but the issue is really that if I lost the bike, I couldn't replace it. I have been pondering fitting a GPS tracker but am not sure how effective they are (need line of sight with the sky, own power supply etc.) and also whether I could fit one to the bike in a discreet enough location that it would basically be invisible to any thief.

Question is - are these things worthwhile and if so, any suggestions for locations on a 916 Monoposto?

Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you're nerdy enough like me you can build your own solution.

I recently used and Arduino + GPS module for tracking lap times (which v1 failed pretty badly. v2 is getting tested on 6/30).

But something like a lowjack is totally possible with a cellular and/or wifi connection. I've never used lowjack but it seems like it would do what you need if you don't want to build one.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
On the bike, I would hide it somewhere behind the loom going to the ignition wire/and handle bar controls. I would splice it in on the hot wire before the starter solenoid. Hide it anywhere you see fit. The hot wire being on even with ignition switch/button to off is the key.

In the truck, your choice. Constant power feed to stereo or the brake switch. Both are easy to get to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

After my SP3 got stolen, I am so paranoid about losing my SPS. I have bumped up the security at home and obviously have insurance but the issue is really that if I lost the bike, I couldn't replace it. I have been pondering fitting small 4G GPS tracker but am not sure how effective they are (need line of sight with the sky, own power supply etc.) and also whether I could fit one to the bike in a discreet enough location that it would basically be invisible to any thief.

Question is - are these things worthwhile and if so, any suggestions for locations on a 916 Monoposto?

Thanks
Luke
They are absolutely necessary. I live in a city with a high rate of theft, and when I got a new motorcycle, I started researching how to install GPS tracking equipment. The first recommendation is AMERICALOC, which is compact and has a battery life of several weeks. Second is Spytec, which has a battery life of up to two weeks. They are not just vehicle trackers, they are personal trackers equipped with SOS functions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts