Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 916 I am trying to get running. The bike would crank just fine and fire periodically. New plugs, oil, filter, and gas. I kept cranking the bike (10 or 15 seconds) to see if I could get her to fire and run. The bike stopped cranking and I noticed a little smoke by the solenoid, which I believe was from the hot battery wire touching plastic. Battery light on on the dash. Got a battery from a different bike, replaced the solenoid and bike would crank for a split second (clutch spins a few inches). Starter doesn't do anything after. Is the starter toast?

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Could be poor battery cable connection(s) including engine ground point and connection at the starter motor. You can replace the starter motor brushes.

I'd also be sure the second battery you tried is good.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be poor battery cable connection(s) including engine ground point and connection at the starter motor. You can replace the starter motor brushes.

I'd also be sure the second battery you tried is good.

Yeah I think it's electrical. Power wire gets super hot even after one push of the starter.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yeah I think it's electrical. Power wire gets super hot even after one push of the starter.
If it's getting that hot, you have a short. Quite possibly in the starter winding....sean

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's getting that hot, you have a short. Quite possibly in the starter winding....sean

I think I need to replace the starter.

Took everything apart, put it back together and gave the starter to pushes only so I could definitely track where the heat source was.

I believe it's from the starter has the solenoid terminal from the starter to solenoid is hot, as is the terminal that goes to the battery.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,180 Posts
What you can do is remove the two main cables from the solenoid, activate it with the start button and check the resistance across the main terminals is close to zero to determine their condition.
Make sure to insulate the battery cable at the solenoid end to prevent an accidental direct short though.

Reactions: mvric and vtwin

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got a chance to dive into this.

It looks like I have a seized idler gear. I can’t get it out of the engine, if anyone has any recommendations they would be appreciated.

6mm bolt and clip are off

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the gear off. A little scoring on the gear, but the shaft has some tanglible scratches. Can’t this be smoothed down, or does it require a new shaft?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
depends how keen you are. can be hard to get out. heat the cases a lot. i weld a nut to the end of the shaft that i can screw the slide hammer into and slide it out.

new shaft is always the best solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts