Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after selling my 92 SS and pineing for a year over it i have had no choice but to buy another 2V Duke.

Picked up a 100% bog standard 2000 M900 sie, complete with all the correct carbon bits and ohlins shock. 40t miles, 2 owners.

Aside from giving it a full service i remember raising the rear rideheight of my old 98 m900 with spacers on the suspension hoop, i think (grey matter isnt what it used to be) , can anyone point me in the right direction here.?

Mille Grazie

Chris

·
Registered
393 Posts
Back in the day, I wasn't able to find a source for the sort of connecting spacers I think you're referring to.

To increase my Monster's rear ride height, I opted to not add a connecting spacer to the short OE male heim joints/rod ends, but instead installed two pieces of stainless steel threaded rod in my hoop, each 4" or less in length, and substituted a female heim joint/rod end on the end of each. I bought my heim joints here: Aircraft Rod Ends - Male Rod Ends & Female Rod Ends
but McMaster-Carr also sells them.

jD

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhhh, sounds like a plan. How much did you raise the rear by? I have 25mm tucked away in my memory but so dukes, so many years ... ;)

Chris

·
Registered
393 Posts
ahhhh, sounds like a plan. How much did you raise the rear by? I have 25mm tucked away in my memory but so dukes, so many years ... ;)

Chris
Probably closer to two inches. Out of necessity. I had previously installed a pair of 3-way adjustable forks from an 888, which required me to raise the top clamp and handlebar in order to clear the adjusters on the tops of the forks, which in turn made it feel like I was riding a chopper.

I sold the bike about five years ago, so my memory has faded. I may have a photo stored somewhere and will look for it.

I said the threaded rod pieces were four inches or less. I'm thinking now that each was probably around six inches in length.

I also forgot to mention that because the bike was now taller, I had to add a pad to my kickstand. There are photos of the pad in this thread:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Found a photo of the installed heim joint/rod end. You can see it on the far left side of the photo, up against the bottom of the hoop.

I also forgot to mention it before, but I had installed an aftermarket hoop that was definitely taller than the oe hoop, so it wasn't necessary to use very much of the length of the threaded rod. YMMV.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
No new parts needed on the hoop style simply adjust to the height you are looking for. most of the time the trade off will be a too steep swingarm angle will have the front moving on high speed stuff so people throw on dampers where if they simply set the back down a bit the bike is fine. That said some like a bike that wheelies easier or is a shorter wheelbase for fast transitions so they adjust to the maximum the threads will safely allow.

Often prople adjust to the max for street use and then complain the bike needs a damper because the bike is now unstable. try it at the max and then bring it back a turn or two until you regain stability. you never did give all the details though to make a full recommendation.

Street or track?
clip ons or ape hangers?
stock springs or correct springs (not stock ever)?
what are you looking to do? are you looking to make it less stable but faster to turn or build a tail up custom "special" where it does not need to function well ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ducvet,

lots of questions. Ok, I have had lots of 2V Dukes over the last 20 years, Monsters and Supersports (Carb and ie) and last year i sold my 92SS which had a 900ie Motor in it from a Monster. Whilst i have always ... gelled well with the SS's i have had, i really clicked with the 99 900 Monster i had for a few years, here she is:
I sold her because i became a Dad and in a 2 year period rode 600km so ...
Anyway, that bike had a raised rear with spacers of some kind (from the P.O.) and Öhlins shock and GSXR Fork internals and it was absolutely fantastic for Carving curves. Really the best handling bike - or the one i got on best with ever!
Fast forward and i have an Aprilia Mille-R which i currently use for Trackdays and longer trips (20/80) and my V50 Guzzi for pottering around town. There is a gap between the two to fill and having sold my other Guzzi i am looking to make a "Monster" sized hole in my Bank account. So i have my eye on a 2000 900sie Monster with about 22tMiles on it. 2 owners for 2600 euro and it needs a full service (which i will do).
I guess i plan to ride it some around town, some country roads and maybe toe odd track day. This will probably be the bike i keep when age kicks me off the Mille.
I am a resonably competent mechanic, having serviced and repaired my 2Vs and Mille for the last 20 years as well as "playing" with mapping etc with GUZZIdiag.

Ultimately i dont need another Bike, but ... thats never stopped me before.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Ultimately i dont need another Bike, but ... thats never stopped me before.
And it never should stop you!

I do get it as i have a few monsters after not getting them at first now I like them quite a bit (maybe too much). monster #1 was built to be a track bike and it works very well for that but may be a bit much for riding unknown roads where neutral handling often trumps handling speed. My second was built to be more upright and comfortable for longer rides and it is built to handle very well based on my track bike.

That said the wide tube bars coupled with the chassis setup makes it a bike that needs a lighter touch than the track bike. Wide bars have more leverage than clip ons so coupled with agressive geometry can equal a nervous bike at speed. I may drop my swingarm angle in the future to calm things down as I am not a Damper fan so though I have one for it I am not likely to put it on. One of the challenges with a monster is too many options the tendency is to build it into what you like from the other bikes and in the end you end up with a bike that is too similar when you are shooting for a bike that is in between. The bike can be built but do you have the self control to not build a track focused bike, restraint is hard in my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Ducvet, i know exactly what you mean, my first Ducati was a brand new 900ssie, 1999, and i subsequently spent more than the same as i had paid for the Bike on uprgrades over the following 3 years turning it into a 170kg (fully tanked) track bike that i tortured myself with on country roads. I now have the Aprilia for that and have to say, its ACE! See attached.
I am older now - not wiser, but older - and plan on keeping the monster closer to stock. A good suspension setup, for road use, stock bars, lighter flywheel maybe, Air FIlter, Exhaust, Clutch etc etc. Basically bolt on Mods but the 944 kit can stay on the shelf, for now.
Maybe next winter a teardown and a paint job for the ... painted bits and mechanical overhaul where required but not just for the sake of taking something to pieces. Maybe i am wiser? Doubtful, lazier maybe.

Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Good luck battling those demons, they are with us for life I am afraid.

I am at the shop so my street monster is here. About 8mm from bottom thread to bottom of locknut.
Keep in mind this is also based on about 1-1/4" front and rear sag with forks set in the trees to give 24 degree static rake. This is a bit aggressive for the street IMHO and with stock bars I would consider dropping to 5mm which may make the rear more supple while taking a bit of weight of weight off the front.

It handles great but is a little nervous due to the wide front bars. Same set up on the track bike with clip ons is dead stable even with less trail (supersport trees).

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fantastic! Many thanks. I waiting for the Monster to arrive, sometime in the next week as it's on its way from the south of Germany and way too far for me to ride in the weather that we currently have.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts