Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ,

I'm Pascal and from Belgium .
I own a Ducati Multistrada Enduro and just bought a ducati 888 strada from '93 and I have some questions for future upgrades.
Is it possible to change the suspension to an ohlins ?
I read a few things but it wasn't sure about some things.
Do I have to change the " triple clamps " ?
It's not necessary for a modern ohlins with radial brakes ( like the 1098 ohlins ) but i think the problem is that i don't find another option
for a more classic ohlins like the ones that were used in the 996/998 .
I read somewhere that someone replaced his original showa from his strada to an ohlins FG43 but i can't find such a fork on the internet either.
All info will be more then welcome.
Thanks in advance .

Grtz ,
Pascal

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
There were some FG43 that are the correct dimensions so they would be a drop in. I am not sure of current new versions but I did sell a set a couple years ago that was for a early supersport/monster and these are going to work easily.

Another route would be to have some built/modified for you, my current monster Ohlins I built into a set that fit the monster trees instead of modifying the stock trees.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Remember that the 888 SP4 came with Ohlins so there are sets out there. I would go with Ducvet's recommendation and look for a drop in set and maybe update the internals a little, with a rebuild at least, if it's been a while since they were serviced.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Is it possible to change the suspension to an ohlins ?
I read a few things but it wasn't sure about some things.
Do I have to change the " triple clamps " ?
It's not necessary for a modern ohlins with radial brakes ( like the 1098 ohlins ) but i think the problem is that i don't find another option
for a more classic ohlins like the ones that were used in the 996/998 .
I read somewhere that someone replaced his original showa from his strada to an ohlins FG43 but i can't find such a fork on the internet either.
All info will be more then welcome.
Hello Pascal.

At the rear, Ohlins shocks are available and even period ones are completely rebuildable. They perform well (though not like a new TTX). You can also use the Ohlins shock for the old M900s, they just have a longer reservoir hose.

As far as the forks go, some of the 851/888 SP models originally used the Ohlins FG9050, but they are tough to find, tough to get some replacement parts for, and most importantly--their performance is poor compared to more modern equipment. The FG43s will be much better, but use a larger axle, so you will either have to use a newer wheel or sleeve the old axle in the fork bottoms. On my ex racebike project I originally went with the adjustable Showas and the 25mm cartridge kit from GP Suspension but then switched to the FG43s for more of a WSB look and to use the Marchesini Mg 5 spokes. The performance of the GP Suspension kit is every bit as good though.

To fit the FG43s, I got some corse replica triples in 53/56mm. I actually still have the takeoff Showas, as well as their adjustable offset billet triples.

Here are some photos of the Showas and Ohlins:

Attachments

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply :)

Hello Pascal.

At the rear, Ohlins shocks are available and even period ones are completely rebuildable. They perform well (though not like a new TTX). You can also use the Ohlins shock for the old M900s, they just have a longer reservoir hose.

As far as the forks go, some of the 851/888 SP models originally used the Ohlins FG9050, but they are tough to find, tough to get some replacement parts for, and most importantly--their performance is poor compared to more modern equipment. The FG43s will be much better, but use a larger axle, so you will either have to use a newer wheel or sleeve the old axle in the fork bottoms. On my ex racebike project I originally went with the adjustable Showas and the 25mm cartridge kit from GP Suspension but then switched to the FG43s for more of a WSB look and to use the Marchesini Mg 5 spokes. The performance of the GP Suspension kit is every bit as good though.

To fit the FG43s, I got some corse replica triples in 53/56mm. I actually still have the takeoff Showas, as well as their adjustable offset billet triples.

Here are some photos of the Showas and Ohlins:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts