Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day to all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, and im going to need lots of help. I have been looking for the right Ducati for many months and finally picked up a really nice 08' 848. I literally looked at 7 bikes before I got this one, really wanted a 748R but could not find a nice one. So I picked her up, rode it home. Next day I got it out and put about 100kms on it.

In less than 18hrs of ownership first day out, the engine ate the big ends bearings, which I noticed by a serious knock when I stopped at an intersection and the oil px light flickered. Obviously turned it off and got rescued. The next day I got the oil out, the screen and cut the filter. As you can imagine the oil drain magnet has ferrous metal, so there's the journal gone and the oil had a glint of bronze to it. The screen was where the action was, flecks of bronze up to 5mm x 2mm and when I cut the oil filter open it was like glitter with some oil.

Still smiling though, I absolutely love the bike and am determined to fix her. Bit of background for me, Im a car mechanic by trade,then an aircraft engineer and now moved onto a job for the last 5 years where I haven't had my hands dirty for a while.

So im going to need lots of help, because I want to attack this one myself as a learning experience and because the quote I got to drop it off and pick it up to have this work done was more than the bike. I have the engine out and took my time bag everything so its not an act of god to get this thing back together. I am a little dubious about it but think I can handle it.

Im really struggling to find a usable used crank and rods that just need bearings and a refit anywhere in the world. I spoke to an engine reconditioner today and they can grind, spray metal, grind and polish back to stock size, and close and hone the rods, $550 Aud, I think this is going to be the best option. While it is apart it is going to get a refresh as I notice the value guides are leaking and it wouldnt be smart to just do half a job. There's a few engines running on ebay but they could have the same issues after laying on their side after a stack.

Can anyone recommend the best, usable detailed manual for this job? im looking for real structured step by step if able. I have the workshop manual and will be getting stuck into that before I set off.

Please point out any pitfalls or anything of note before I get going on this. I have not had a motorcycle engine apart like this before, so if I need to be told this is too complicated for me to do, please say so.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance, I expect to be getting it apart in a month as I will be on leave for a few weeks, but its on the bench, I intend on a top to bottom refresh, so will have the parts on hand to start.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rob, don't know if you bought it private party or from a local dealer, but did you at least contact who you bought it from and tell them the bike crapped out the first day you owned it?

I would assume anybody with a least a little bit of decency would try to work something out with you there? I would at least call them and ask before you start doing anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there, Yes he was the first to hear about it. The filter had road grime on it and had not been changed out since last and it was riding fine for the few hundred K's I had it. He is paying me some money back after I sent a quote from a Ducati mechanic to him. Im by no means happy about it but have to deal with it, so I will.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Hey there, Yes he was the first to hear about it. The filter had road grime on it and had not been changed out since last and it was riding fine for the few hundred K's I had it. He is paying me some money back after I sent a quote from a Ducati mechanic to him. Im by no means happy about it but have to deal with it, so I will.

Cheers.
Good attitude sir! It is what it is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there, an update on the progress of the rebuild.

Great news! I finished the rebuild and have put 1000kms on the bike, and it is running beautifully. I am really happy with the bike now that I have had a chance to actually ride it. The performance is impressive and the handling is sublime. Everything and more than expected from the 848.

I will take this opportunity to whole heartedly thank one member of this forum, and that is xracer, who tirelessly mentored me through the entire process from motor on the bench through to the first test ride. His expertise and ability to share his knowledge in a simple manner is the sole reason I managed to complete this rebuild. Thanks xracer.

A break down of the rebuild. I had the motor in bags on the bench and through a few contacts was told I could have the crank ground to .25 under with shells available to match. I went ahead with that and had the rods closed and honed also. Between work sending me away for 4 months and the local engine guy taking longer than that to do the job, I finally had all the parts to put it back together. When measured the new grind and shells were right on for size, so was a good start.

I decided to not do a top end rebuild as with only 16000kms it was a young engine. It took me about 5 days working in the garage to knock it over from crank and rods on the bench to the test ride on New Year’s Eve just before dark. New orings and belts among other bits and pieces were replaced. All done and finished the rebuild cost about $2000 AUD.

So that’s about it, I’m just enjoying the bike now. It just got a new set is Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3’s and they’re a great tyre. I have had a few 400km day rides and it’s comfortable enough for that. I intend to take it to a track day in the future.

Thanks again xracer.

Cheers,

Rob.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts