Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start my ducati 848 today but it wouldnt start, I used it some days ago but it ran quite bad. Had some engine stops and it was hard to start, felt weak.

The fuel that have been in the tank is quite old, the bike have been in the garage for about 2 years.

I unscrewed the fuel pump from the tank and emptied all the old fuel and put some new fuel and a bit of fuel injection cleaning.

The batteri is currently being charged but i doubt that it is the problem, the dash shows 12.1v.

When I turn on the ignition I can here the fuel pump starting, and when I push the start button the engine doesn't start.

Can anybody give me some tips and tricks on this.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If it's like that video, then check:

Spark: are the plugs OK?

Fuel: any restrictions to flow? (plugged filter screens, etc)

Air: clean filter? No obstructions to air path?

If that doesn't turn up a clue, then it might be official mechanic time :(

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Tried to start my ducati 848 today but it wouldnt start, I used it some days ago but it ran quite bad. Had some engine stops and it was hard to start, felt weak.

The fuel that have been in the tank is quite old, the bike have been in the garage for about 2 years.

I unscrewed the fuel pump from the tank and emptied all the old fuel and put some new fuel and a bit of fuel injection cleaning.

The batteri is currently being charged but i doubt that it is the problem, the dash shows 12.1v.

When I turn on the ignition I can here the fuel pump starting, and when I push the start button the engine doesn't start.

Can anybody give me some tips and tricks on this.
It's Your battery. Trust Me...I know. Get a new one, charge it, and You'll be good.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fuel filter looked okej.

Airfilter is okej

Will check the spark tomarrow

If it's like that video, then check:

Spark: are the plugs OK?

Fuel: any restrictions to flow? (plugged filter screens, etc)

Air: clean filter? No obstructions to air path?

If that doesn't turn up a clue, then it might be official mechanic time :(

·
8,971 Posts
The fuel filter looked okej.

Airfilter is okej

Will check the spark tomarrow
You got a way to jump start it with cables from a car? If You do, then do it. that'll prove My point. 12.1v ain't gonna cut it. It'll start the fuel pump, and turn on some lights, but nothing else. Go ahead, try it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got a way to jump start it with cables from a car? If You do, then do it. that'll prove My point. 12.1v ain't gonna cut it. It'll start the fuel pump, and turn on some lights, but nothing else. Go ahead, try it.
metalhead is right

12.1 = battery wont turn motor .
Alright then i will try this tommarow!

Will also check the sparks

Big thanks to everyone :)

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Alright then i will try this tommarow!

Will also check the sparks

Big thanks to everyone :)
do the battery first before checking the sparks - its your most obvious problem.

btw , i have never been comfortable ( although i cant say why ) using a car to kickstart a bike - so i have always used another bike , which works fine

Maybe someone can debunk my fear ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would pull the spark plugs out and try a new set,before you fit the new ones check for spark,(with the new plugs) this a bit difficult because you have to push the plug into the plug cap and hold it there in order for it to make contact. I have seen old plugs that still spark ok when out of the bike, but fail to start when fitted. Your battery sounds fine and because you can smell fuel when turning over i'd say it's spark related. good luck.

·
8,971 Posts
I would pull the spark plugs out and try a new set,before you fit the new ones check for spark,(with the new plugs) this a bit difficult because you have to push the plug into the plug cap and hold it there in order for it to make contact. I have seen old plugs that still spark ok when out of the bike, but fail to start when fitted. Your battery sounds fine and because you can smell fuel when turning over i'd say it's spark related. good luck.
My bad. Just read this. Go try this. Good starting point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you giving any gas at the moment? I would turn the gas throttle tiny bit while pushing the start button
its your battery
had the exact same problem, i charged the battery and give a little gas while starting

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you giving any gas at the moment? I would turn the gas throttle tiny bit while pushing the start button
its your battery
had the exact same problem, i charged the battery and give a little gas while starting
Have tried with some gas.

Will try to jump start it with power from my car.

Its not that much of gas smell from the exhausts.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I dunno guys, nothing good can come from a bike sitting in storage for two years with old/bad gas. It's amazing how quickly gas goes bad these days. I'd flush the system, put some new gas in, check the plugs and crank it a few times to get some fresh gas in there. Also might as well change the filter b/c undoubtedly you have condensation build up which wreaks havoc on any motor of any vehicle.

Constantly battle this with my '69 Mustang and pulling it out each year from winter storage.

Also with sitting two years a lot of gunk can get built up and settle in all the most inconvenient (for you) locations within the fuel system.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I dunno guys, nothing good can come from a bike sitting in storage for two years with old/bad gas. It's amazing how quickly gas goes bad these days. I'd flush the system, put some new gas in, check the plugs and crank it a few times to get some fresh gas in there. Also might as well change the filter b/c undoubtedly you have condensation build up which wreaks havoc on any motor of any vehicle.

Constantly battle this with my '69 Mustang and pulling it out each year from winter storage.

Also with sitting two years a lot of gunk can get built up and settle in all the most inconvenient (for you) locations within the fuel system.
i would do the same. before you go and do anything else. dump the gas in the tank, flush out the rest of the system. make sure the fuel filters aren't clogged. change out your plugs.

im sure once you flush it all out, clean up the green gunk you have in your tank or filter, add new gas, put in new plugs, and charged battery. it should start right up.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looking at the video, to me it sounds like it's spinning ok, and if you say you can smell gas from the exhaust, my next guess would be to check the sparks, as others have suggested already.

It would be good to get it hooked to a diagnostics tool (at the dealer..) to see if it's giving some error codes?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Looking at the video, to me it sounds like it's spinning ok, and if you say you can smell gas from the exhaust, my next guess would be to check the sparks, as others have suggested already.

It would be good to get it hooked to a diagnostics tool (at the dealer..) to see if it's giving some error codes?
Have taken out the sparks and they are looking quite done. Tested them and one of them was not giving any sparks. imgur: the simple image sharer

Will go and buy new ones tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts