Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having problems with my clutch not engaging.... I recently changed out the clutch and break levers and now when I try to put it into gear, the bike stalls out. The bike stand was up but it still stalls out....

When the engine is off I have the bike in gear and lever pulled in, the bike still wont move forward or back as if the clutch isn't even being pulled in.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would start with the hydraulic slave cylinder which is on the left side of the transmission. These things are notorious for leaking and therefore not transmitting the force from the clutch master on the bar. Sometimes these things leak behind, down the shift rod that goes through the trans to the other side at the clutch and they don't contain much fluid, so you can't even see a leak under the bike that would tell you something's up. I would take the left fairing off, take the slave off, look for leaks and see if any of the gaskets are torn - also not uncommon. You should also first check to see if there is fluid in the master on the bar. If everything checks out, you probably have air in the system (bleed it out) or a frozen shifter rod - also not uncommon. Pull the rod out, clean the hole with a gun cleaning rod and brush, renew the O-rings and grease it all up with synthetic grease.

Also, I would check the clutch side (right) of things for a ham sandwich stuck in there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
As perhaps a more obvious comment, if everything was hunky dory before you did this work, the work you did may have changed something. A wrong or forgotten part, wrong clutch lever, something. Go back and double check - you can see if the slave is working by loosening from the bike and working the clutch lever w/o hurting anything - see if the small post is moving in and out as you work the lever. If it works under actuation off the bike, you will need to force the small post back in since the clutch pack spring normally does that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have to ask why you changed the clutch/brake levers - upgrade? Put the old clutch lever back in and see if it all works.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bleed your system and adjust your levers accordingly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like your clutch lever isn't doing what it's supposed to. Was the lever definitely designed for your bike?

It should be easy enough to remove the rubber cover that hides where the lever actuates the master cylinder, and watch what happens when you squeeze the lever. Does the lever push the piston in? Is there too much free movement before it engages and starts pushing?

·
Registered
463 Posts
When the engine is off I have the bike in gear and lever pulled in, the bike still wont move forward or back as if the clutch isn't even being pulled in.
Sounds like your clutch lever isn't doing what it's supposed to. Was the lever definitely designed for your bike?

It should be easy enough to remove the rubber cover that hides where the lever actuates the master cylinder, and watch what happens when you squeeze the lever. Does the lever push the piston in? Is there too much free movement before it engages and starts pushing?
Not according to the above.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My last response was to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythem

Sounds like the clutch interlock circuit switch to me - there'll be a switch at the lever that's opened/closed by the clutch action - look for 2 wires connecting with spade connectors (I think) to a switch near the base of the lever. Did you disconnect anything when you put the new lever that you didn't reconnect? Is the new lever compatible with the clutch switch?

Though this shouldn't be a problem unless another part of the interlock circuit is playing up - next candidate would be the sidestand switch.

Both of these are easy to check with a multimeter.
Not to the altered message.

·
Administrator
12,897 Posts
Hi @c_cuningham2 and welcome to Ducati.ms! We are super happy to have you here.

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts