Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone?

This weekend while riding around on the 848 my "Motorycle Maintenance Light" came on. It first happened while stuck in highway traffic where the bike temp was over 210 degrees for about 10mins. I pretty much rode around all day and over the course of the day it happened a total of 4 times. It's normally very short lived but when the maintenance light does come on all of my lights completely go out. I noticed that this issue seems to only happen when I'm at low RPMs.

Anyone have experience with this?

Also, I recently replaced my battery and shortly before that I had installed the CustomLed Integrated Tailight and Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator. Not sure if these electrical changes are in anyway related but figured I mention it to you guys.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replaced the voltage regulator and everything seems to be working fine. Cooling fan kicking in was causing the voltage to spike to 18 volts, which in turn was activating the safety cut-off for the instrument panel and headlights. The VR was replaced 3 years ago with the 848 VR recall but for whatever reason it went bad. Oh well...

Not sure if any of you more experienced folk can chime in but I gave some serious thought to installing a used VR from a 748. The serial numbers are different but the parts look exactly the same with the exception of one of the wire bundles from the 748 VR being longer. I ran the bike with the 748 VR for a few minutes and everything was fine. Would have saved me $170, but I ultimately decided the savings would not have been worth taking a chance with the bike electronics so I installed the VR for the 848 I picked up from the dealer instead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts