Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am new to this site and am learning alot from reading all your assistance. I have a 2002 Ducati 750ss ie with half fairing. However, I have an issue and was wondering maybe someone can lend a hand.

My bike will not start... The ignition is on, kickstand up, hearing the 1-2 sec injector, battery charged and starter turns but it doesnt start. Any other thoughts to make the bike run? I called the dealer and he said something about the solenoid white connector as the culprit. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Does it have spark?

You can pull a plug wire off, put another plug in the wire and hold the plug (metal to metal) against the motor. Press the starter and see if there is a spark.

How old is the fuel? When did it last run? Have you done any repairs/mods to it since it last ran?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello -

Yes I have the kill switch off.

I tried the spark plug trick and there is no spark. What could be the issue here?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the misunderstanding but the kill switch is actually on so thats not the issue. Thanks for your correction.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Time to start looking around.
Check all the fuses.
Look at the wiring connections, any brittle or cracked insulation around the connections.
Check the coils and wiring for solid connections.
Check the multi-pin plug on the ECU.
Look for corrosion, or damaged wires.

Check the crankshaft pickup sensor on the left side of the engine case. Someone here recently had a non-start problem, cleaned the sensor and a it ran fine afterwards.

It's something fairly simple, if it ran ok, you parked and now it won't start, something providing power to the coils is probably disconnected.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jack - I really appreciate all your inputs here!

Connections seems in place, no corrosion or anything unusual. Cheacked all fuses next to the battery and it all seems fine. However, when I attached the optimate battery desulfater/charger, it indicated that the battery is weak. Not sure if this is the culprit or just weak due to multiple attempts to start the bike.

Another side note...when I initially tried to start the bike, I heard a backfire from the exhaust but wouldnt start. Is that something I should concerned? Now I dont hear any backfiring from the exhaust, just starter/engine turning...

Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello -

Yes I have the kill switch off.

I tried the spark plug trick and there is no spark. What could be the issue here?

Thanks!!
If you did the trick correctly and got no spark, then that's the culprit for the no start. But now the only reliable way to pin point the problem would be to use a Volt meter or DMM and see if you're getting 12V power to the coils.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got it to start. Left the battery tender for 24 hrs and it finally started right up. Thanks for all your assistance!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
jumper cables from truck battery too much?

this sounds funny but oh well...

If i connect my jumper cables straight up to my wires that go to the battery is that too much and make it not crank? i can turn the key on and i get spark. i can flip the switch back and forth while im cranking it and sometimes it sounds like its about to crank up (it sputters) then i can turn the key off and back on and once every 10 times i do it it backfires...any suggestions?

btw...its a 1994 750SS

·
Registered
17 Posts
I finally got it to start. Left the battery tender for 24 hrs and it finally started right up. Thanks for all your assistance!!
like I am new tooo but I have found out dukes don't like even half flat batteries:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
so i am having a similiar problem with my '07 800ss, a good battery one day with an easy start up, in about 24-48 hrs, the battery goes so flat that i only get a clicking noise. several hours 12hr on the battery tender and the battery is good again....sometimes for days even several weeks. skip a day riding and the battery is gone.

i guess that means i need a new battery, huh? i can leave my bike on teh battery tender every night and be fine for the rest of the season but after ~14k miles does that sound right, time for a new battery? what's the best replacement, where do i start looking? forum sponsors? ;)

btw, after reading some of the other threads, seems i need to start with checking all the connections and cleaning, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After using the bike for 4 days, it suddenly died again. I heard a loud backfire after multiple attempts to start but no luck. Even tried to jumpstart from my car but the engine just turns and wont start.

When I initially solved this problem, all I did was replaced the plugs and put it on battery tender overnight. Do you guys think that the spark plug is the culprit? Could the engine be damaging the spark plugs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so when i start the engine, i dont need to slide the choke down? i thought you have to slide it down during cold start. please clarify.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked all the connections from the solenoid/coil/starter/ecu etc, fuses are ok, battery read 13.12v 190cca but bike still doesnt start. I also tried attaching both plugs to the frame while starting but no spark at all. What could be next here...ECU?? If so, where can I buy a replacement and how much do they cost? Could the regulator be bad as well?

Thanks for all you input here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts