Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All . Having changed the bulb for a new one, how can i check the low petrol warning sensor or wiring for this unit and what voltages should i be looking at connections, your help is required thanks again. john.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Voltages etc.

I expect that this is the case. When there is sufficient fuel in the tank, one wire will be at 12V nominal and the other at zero. When the fuel level drops, both wires will be at 12V nominal so 12V gets connected to the bulb.

Simple way would be to siphon or drain out fuel to see if the low fuel light comes on. There should be about 4 litres (a bit less than an Imperial gallon) left in the tank before it comes on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low petrol light sensor

Hi Thanks for that, i have shorted out the supply to the sensor and the light comes on so a bad sensor is what it is, have priced a sensor in the uk dealerships and at £95 i think i will just keep a eye on the tank level.Thanks again john.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
95 Quid !!!!!

I would be looking at other solutions for that price.

Guessing, it is probably a float switch inside the outer sleeve. It could be as simple as stuck, like carby float bowl needles get stuck. I would remove it and give it a tap with a screwdriver handle or similar to see if it frees.

Mine will be out in a week or so when the tank goes for a respray, so if you can wait, I can test it right way up and upside down to see if if is a float switch.

Alternatively if someone has one on the bench, they could test resistance with it the right way up and upside down. I.e. low resistance and open circuit respectively.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts