Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can it cost a DUCATI 750 IMOLA (For Race Only)
1972 -1973.?
Is the bike that Bruno Spaggiari race in Imola.

ORIGINAL BIKE, NO REPLICA!

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think the bike was sold recently at auction. I do not remember which one, or for how much money, but I am sure this important piece of Ducati history is worth a fortune.
Do you live in Peru? I hope to visit one day. I have been to Brasil and Argentina. Maybe Peru will be the next country to visit.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ducati 750

I dont know if is the same bike that race in Italy, but my brother saw it and he said that was a race bike.
The Bike belongs to a girl that inherited from his father.. She dont know how much it cost!
I dont know how much money to offer!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
while it is very unlikely that the bike you have found is one that was raced at Imola, it would be a great bike to have. unless there is positive proof that it was raced by a known and famous racer, the value is MUCH less than one that has positive identification. sorry I cannot give you more to go on. do some research and try to get photos of it so that we can all see it. good luck

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Oh really ? Then post the engine and frame numbers for us.
ducatiperu said:
ORIGINAL BIKE, NO REPLICA!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too would be interested in the numbers. According to the Ducati website they have both Smart's and Spaggiari's bikes on display. I believe that Spaggiari's bike was in Australia for many years owned by Ron Angel - later sold to someone in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I push started it

In late 1972 maybe early 1973 I was walking up a street in Balwyn, Melbourne and I saw a Ducati in a driveway of a block of units on a racing stand. It looked like a 750SS but it had different pipes and a strange looking fairing. I owned a 160 Monza Jnr at the time and I was 16. I went up to the bike and found the guy that owned it in a garage, he told me that it was the 750 Imola and recounted to me its history as he knew it. He said that it was the bike that Bruno Spaggiari raced in Imola to second place. He had bought it from Ron Angel the Ducati distributor in Melbournae at that time, who I later worked for as an assistant mechanic. While I was working for Ron I also started the Ducati Owners Club of Victoria along with the guy who worked behind the spare parts counter.

The bike was not in good condition from his account when he got it and he had had to spend a lot of money on it to get it back to working condition. It had been raced by Ron Angel with Kenny Blake as the rider for a couple of years (Kenny later died at the Isle of Man TT) and he said that the plugs had been melted into the heads. He said he'd had to have the melted plugs machined out of the heads and had had the heads welded and remachined to fit the new plug holes. It was a racing bike for sure with no electricals except for a simple rotating switch which literally span 180 degrees to contect two exposed conector points, the word switch is a grand name for this basic piece of technology. I remember the fairing had two tubes in the front of it either side of the racing number, this he told me was to equalize the air pressure inside the fairing.

I got to know this guy, whose name I unfortunatly can't remember, I'm 51 now, and we went around Victoria racing it a various meetings. I remember going to Winton Raceway in central Victoria and Calder raceway outside of Melbourne. I was his helper, getting the bike on and off the trailer and what not. I also push started the thing many times for him. This I remember vivadly, I'd put both hands onto the back of the bike and push like hell as he put it into second and dropped the clutch. If we were lucky it would start straight away and I'd feel the force of the explosions as they came out of the baffleless reverse cone racing pipes. The explosions banged into my chest and I can remember the sound of the thing as it fired up to this day. It had the original racing pipes and they came out of the heads and up along the side of the bike half way up. It was like thunder standing right behind it as he took off and went up pit lane onto the track. I'd watch him race it and I was in awe of the sound it made as he wound it out up the straight. He once offered to sell it to me for $2000, a fortune in those days for a 16 year old, I asked my old man to lend me the money and he just laughed at me, if only he'd known. It remains one of my precious memories from my youth, the sound it made and the feeling of the exhaust hitting me on the chest.

It was Bruno Spaggiari's bike for sure, I knew Ron and I knew he'd owned it. I'd like to buy it today but I suspect that I still wouldn't be able to afford it.

I hope that this helps put any doubt about this bike to bed.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
There is a 750SS round case registry that was started by John Stein and/or Phil Schilling. ALL of these bikes are EXTREMELY well documented and a websearch should get you in touch with the right people.

Then again, if you can snap up a round case anything for 10K USD, buy it !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts