Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Duc 749 bi posto and I found out the battery is toast today. 1st of all can anyone recomend a certian battery or are they all the same? 2nd I jumped the old battery today and took the bike for a ride hoping it would charge the battery and it didnt it just kept reading 9.8. The bike ran fine for my 30 min ride but rigth when I was pulling into my house the check engine light went on, would this happen because the battery is low? Why was it not on when I was riding (the battery volts read the same the whole time) ? Any help would be awesome, as my ducati dealer is quite a distance from my house.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a 2005 Duc 749 bi posto and I found out the battery is toast today. 1st of all can anyone recomend a certian battery or are they all the same? 2nd I jumped the old battery today and took the bike for a ride hoping it would charge the battery and it didnt it just kept reading 9.8. The bike ran fine for my 30 min ride but rigth when I was pulling into my house the check engine light went on, would this happen because the battery is low? Why was it not on when I was riding (the battery volts read the same the whole time) ? Any help would be awesome, as my ducati dealer is quite a distance from my house.

Tough to say about the check engine light but you need a good battery to test that and rule out any battery related after effects. I would stick with the factory type battery which is a YUASA battery but thats just me :)

Migrane

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
the low voltage could most definitely be the cause of the check engine light. you know the battery is toast, so i wouldnt worry about it until u replace it, then see what happens. i replaced my battery recently and it doesnt really suprise me that batteries have a short life being mounted to the side of the friggen motor!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Once the battery goes...a Ducati is toast. A new battery will fix it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd replace the battery and your issues will most likely go away. I just had issues with a battery on my 749. I don't remember if the check engine light was on when I had the battery problem.

When I replaced the battery, I went to the local stealership. The OEM battery is a Yuasa yt12b-bs...I think. Your replacement must be an "Absorbed glass mat" battery since it sits on it's side. They had the yuasa battery there for about $90. It came as a kit where you had to add the acid. Then it has to be charged. I was about to purchase it when the parts dude recommended a different battery. They are also a yamaha dealership. Yamaha sell the exact same replacement battery already put together factory sealed for about $15 less. I opted for that. Worked like a champ.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Old battery was the first thing I replaced about three weeks after I picked up my 06 749S last August. Went with Yuasa. Battery Tender Plus was my second purchase and my bike stays on the tender full time now. No issues since then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd replace the battery and your issues will most likely go away. I just had issues with a battery on my 749. I don't remember if the check engine light was on when I had the battery problem.

When I replaced the battery, I went to the local stealership. The OEM battery is a Yuasa yt12b-bs...I think. Your replacement must be an "Absorbed glass mat" battery since it sits on it's side. They had the yuasa battery there for about $90. It came as a kit where you had to add the acid. Then it has to be charged. I was about to purchase it when the parts dude recommended a different battery. They are also a yamaha dealership. Yamaha sell the exact same replacement battery already put together factory sealed for about $15 less. I opted for that. Worked like a champ.

Best of luck.
I did this. yt12b-bs sounds very right. Mine died, was about 100$ to replace. New one is a champ. Voltage gets low every now and then, just tender that baby back up and and it holds 13.8-14.0 like no tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts