Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, just writting to find out if anyone can help me with a error that i'm having. i just bought a ducati 749 from a insurance company and they gave me the bike with no keys. they told me that the bike didn't have keys when they got the bike. i guess it got loss or something. well now i have the bike ready to ride fixed up and everything but the bike won't start. i bought a new ignition switch which it came with 2 black keys and a red key and a code card. i installed that onto the bike but the bike doesn't start. does anyone knows what else do i need to buy to get the bike started? thanx for the space

·
Registered
41 Posts
To make it work there has to be matching ECU + RED KEY + 2 BLACK KEYS + INSTRUMENT PANEL from the same bike. As far as I know you can use one ecu only once. If you use red key on the bike once then the ecu cannot be used on another bike.

As far as I know it is possible to change original ecu to FIM Ecu, which has a possibility to disable immobilizer. FIM Ecu costs about 600 USD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about if i was to buy a new instrument panel and a new ecu would that work. would i need to match all that together or is just plug and play?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You must take it to the dealer and they will reset the system for youto allow you to start the bike with the new keys ... they are the only ones with the correct equipment to do so.

·
comrade moderator
27,259 Posts
This is why filling out a profile when you register for the forum would be quite helpful to the folks trying to help you.

Where are you that there aren't any Ducati dealers?

·
Registered
319 Posts
migz123 said:
You must take it to the dealer and they will reset the system for you to allow you to start the bike with the new keys ... they are the only ones with the correct equipment to do so.
I am afraid that will not work! According to a source at Magneti Marelli, there is only one guy at Magnetti headquarters in Italy that knows how to reset the immobilizer code in the ECU.

If you think about it, it makes sense. The only reason to have an anti-theft device is to prevent people from stealing a bike and switching the ignition key assembly. I guess Magnetti Marelli is afraid that if the capability of resetting the code is given out, it might eventually get into the wrong hands.

At the factory when a virgin immobilizer is first turned on, the VERY FIRST key that is used to turn the bike on, becomes a master key. There are no physical differences between the black key and the red key. The red color is for the owners to distinguish which key is the master key. The immobilizer then generates a code that is stored in the ECU.

Every time the red key is inserted into the ignition switch, the immobilizer then recognizes that the next key being used is going to be programmed. The immobilizer can recognize and program up to 8 keys, including the master key. Every time the RED key or a programmed key is used, the immobilizer generates a similar code as the code generated the first time the RED key was used. The proper matching of the code stored in the ECU and the code generated by the immobilizer is what causes the ECU to allow a bike to get started when a key is inserted into the ingition switch.

If an unrecognized key is inserted into the ignition switch or a different ingition switch and immoblizer control box is used, the immobilizer will not provide the proper code to the ECU to enable the bike to get started. If you are buying a new or used ignition switch with a red key, it should also include the matching immobilizer control box and the ECU or it will not work.

On the bikes with the new digital dashes (5A ECU) [2004 and later model years] the dash has the immobilizer function built into it, there is no longer a separate immobilizer box. This means that the ECU is now mated to the dash. So losing keys just got a lot more expensive. If buying new or used parts you would need the red key, dash and ECU as a matched set.

BTW, the communication between the immobilizer and ECU is encrypted serial. It means that the actual communication is ALWAYS changing, in that you cannot monitor and capture the signal coming out of the immobilizer and play it back electronically to try and fool the ECU.

Your other option is buy an FIM ECU, but you will lose the functionality of the immobilizer.

-Fariborz

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I've spoken to people who've attempted to use the FIM computer to get around the immobilizer, and it may work... for a while.

But in a few weeks, problems arise with the CANBUS system, and the dash will stop communicating, and you will have no instrumentation.

Or worse, you will have to rely on the "code" to start you bike. Which it doesn't sound like this gentleman has.

I think you need to step up and buy a whole system. Sad, but its what I was facing when I got my salvaged bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks for the information Fariboz, and a great explanation too ...

Looks like we have a misunderstanding: I replied to him in response to his previous message - that he understood it has to be done as a whole set, it is not "plug and play" and that dealer would be able to help him to get the new set programmed to his existing keys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts