Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 749 dark version. With low miles. Only about 4000 miles. And on takeoff the bike acts a bit sluggish compared to when I first got it. I was thinking it was maybe cause it needed an oil change but people are telling me they dont think its oil related. I doubt its clutch related but its possible. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could possibly be. I dont really want to take it to Ducati so they can inspect it cause id be willing to bet theyll charge me a lot just to look at the bike. I dont want to pay a lot for something that might not even be a big issue. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
really hard to get a good guess based on the info you provided.
need more info to narrow it down.
did you do the 600 mile service?
ever changed the oil in 4000k miles?
checked plugs?
checked fuel filter?
how old is the gas in the tank?
checked for lose wires?
again. not enough info.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sluggish as in it revs high, but the bike doesn't move --> Clutch issue.

Sluggish as in it doesn't want to rev --> Check Plugs, Pinch in the gas hose,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More like it does rev and the clutch doesnt want to engage kinda it will though after a certain point but not as easy as before. i gotta give it a lot of gas in order for it to take off good without it doing a jittery noise. I barely bought oil to do the oil change. I thought it was cause the oil is old but everyone is saying that it shouldnt be an oil issue. Imma do the oil change tommorow morning along with the oil filter. Imma look for the air filter to see if thats dirty and check the spark plugs to see if i find anything. Has anyone taken their bikes directly to ducati for inspections? Anyone know around how much they charge just to inspect a bike?

·
Registered
857 Posts
More like it does rev and the clutch doesnt want to engage kinda it will though after a certain point but not as easy as before. i gotta give it a lot of gas in order for it to take off good without it doing a jittery noise. I barely bought oil to do the oil change. I thought it was cause the oil is old but everyone is saying that it shouldnt be an oil issue. Imma do the oil change tommorow morning along with the oil filter. Imma look for the air filter to see if thats dirty and check the spark plugs to see if i find anything. Has anyone taken their bikes directly to ducati for inspections? Anyone know around how much they charge just to inspect a bike?
You can change the oil so you can feel better :)

But, it sounds like the problem is with your clutch plates. Clean/Change the plates. It's a dry clutch. easy job.

Edit: There are crap load of members from CA. Find someone to give it a quick look over, take a six-pack with you :D

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The clutch should be OK......thats easy to take apart and inspect. I've found that w/ my 999 it was a simple plug change! Also check the air filters, they get really dirty and grimey.....they can be cleaned or replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts