Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
my name is Roy and I am in the market for a bike. I have owned a few benzes, a corvette, and mamba edition viper, but I have never owned a motorcycle. In the spring, I would like to get my license and eventually purchase a ducati 749 dark. I am confident with my ability to handle a difficult and dangerous vehicle at high speeds, but I have been told by all my friends that a 749 will be too powerful as a starter bike. I understand that a bike is a completely different vehicle than a car, but I still don't want to take no for an answer. :D
are there any owners out there that think it is possible to start with a 749? Has anyone done it?
Just testing the waters, and looking forward to your wisdom.
Thanks for the help!
-Roy

·
Registered
326 Posts
My .02:

I'd suggest something that has more accommodating ergonomics so you can see and feel your way into the motorcycling groove. Plus, any new rider is highly likely to drop a bike at least once. Usually some combination of cold tires, wet leaves, sand or gravel. Doing that with a full-fairing bike is expensive. Buy a Monster, have fun, take a few riding courses and if you're still thrilled with the idea after 5000 miles buy a 749. Of course, you might be like a whole lot of people and decide the Monster is the better bike.

Actually, the quickest learning curve is a dirt bike. Learn to corner, slide, stop, wheelie, crash, and fall with grace.

·
Registered
238 Posts
A dirtbike i my opinion would be a good starting point for someone who has never ridden before. If you fuck up and most likely you will. Either by giving it to much gas and popping the cluth, or vise versa. It wont be so bad on you and the machine, cause a dirtbike is more forgiving to take a beating and wont be so expensive to repair, unlike a street bike. You need to get a feel of a hand/foot controlled clutch and throttle period. I here it all the time that a 749 is a good beginners bike. Bullshit, that is a powerful machine. The key is to know your limits and ride your limits. You have to have self control. And for the most part, in my opinion, when you see the ten o'clock news and you here of a rider down, it is usually cause the rider had no self control. Got fucked up at the bar, Etc.. Started Reving the engine like an ass! bringing attention to himself and the cops. Seen this happen all the time. That being said, riding a motorcyle is a very exhilerating high that you cant compare to anything else. But if you dont have self conrtol, u might as well say your last rights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys had me on the repair issue... never even considered that. alright so my best bet is to practice on a POS and then go for the 749 later on. I am getting the bike for gas mileage and a quick commute to campus. being able to park wherever does not hurt either. But i know from experience with the viper to respect my vehicles.... 550 ft pounds of torque with no traction control or any electronic safety stuff is not fun. Even if I ever became an expert rider I probably would not consider going over the 749 to a higher cc bike or even racing it. Call me a fool, but im buying mostly for the looks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My suggestion is take a MSF course then buy something used and cheap that you will not feel bad about dropping in your driveway. Save Ducatis' for after you gain some motorcycle riding skills. Any Ducati is fast enough to get you killed without the skills to control it. "There are bold riders, and old riders. There are no old bold riders." Moderation is the key to long life.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Get a early to mid 90's Monster or SS/CR. Throw on some frame sliders and have fun. Minimal damage if dropped, easy to work on 2V motor and very retro cool. You can easily pick up one of these models at or under 3K, so if you seriously screw it up, you would only be out the cost of the bodywork on the 749.........

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Always learn on a dirtbike, period.

·
comrade moderator
27,055 Posts
I am getting the bike for gas mileage and a quick commute to campus.
Sounds to me like you're buying the wrong bike to begin with. There's often a gap between what we like and what we need. You will be one of those guys buying a Monster in a couple of years, and raving about how "User Friendly" it is given your stated riding habits.

You don't need a Superbike.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Oh there were a few but most have "moved on" swallow your pride and start small, then move up.

Hello everyone,
my name is Roy and I am in the market for a bike. I have owned a few benzes, a corvette, and mamba edition viper, but I have never owned a motorcycle. In the spring, I would like to get my license and eventually purchase a ducati 749 dark. I am confident with my ability to handle a difficult and dangerous vehicle at high speeds, but I have been told by all my friends that a 749 will be too powerful as a starter bike. I understand that a bike is a completely different vehicle than a car, but I still don't want to take no for an answer. :D
are there any owners out there that think it is possible to start with a 749? Has anyone done it?
Just testing the waters, and looking forward to your wisdom.
Thanks for the help!
-Roy

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think it should be mentioned that all your past "cool rides" are weak in comparison to most M/C over about 500cc. Imagine, if you will, realizing that you should back out of it because it's getting a bit out of hand but you only have 2 small contact patches! Bikes are a whole different world. Just ask "Crash" Shumacher.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Besides, if you want a good campus cruiser you really need a motard bike. Somthing like a yamaha, suzuki, husqavarna with sportbike tires. Much easier to ride in traffic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
+1 on the 2V idea. Especially a Monster. Maintenance is cheaper and they're excellent commuters. Tons of aftermarket and used parts too. And they're fun as hell in the twisties. If/when you get bored with it buy a superbike.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I always fall back to my usual advice: buy a used UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), then ride it for a year or two to determine what type of motorcycle best suits your riding style and needs. UJM's are also much easier on your wallet when repairing the usual beginner's mistakes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
starter bike

Hypermotard would be an excellent starter bike.

Upright riding position, light weight and if you change out the bar-end mirrors, not a whole lot to get smacked when you drop it. The wide handlebars make manuverability a breeze and would be an easy bike to take to a MSF course and pass the test on.

BTW, I also have one for sale. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
339 Posts
+ 100 on used Monster. Among with SV650, it's quite possibly the best beginner bike your $$ can buy. Do not get 749, it has nothing to do with the power. It's just that when you drop it at 5mph, it will cost THOUSANDS to fix. Not to mention that it's pretty uncomfortable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would recommend the SV650. Just picked a 2008 with 250 miles on it for $4800. It even had ABS. Sounds good with a pipe too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts