Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Picking up a 2002 748R next week, no. 408 in great condition with a little TLC required (some minor cosmetic stuff) with 18,000km on the clock.

Original apart from handlbar grips (OEM come with it though), and aftermarket steering damper.

Handing over the cash tomorrow (equivalent of just over 6000gbp)

I have some questions I hope you can help with:

1. What is the best place for carbon parts? The two panels either side of the handlebars bar (air ducts?) have some slight marks, if I can't clean them up will replace them with carbon.
2. Whats a good price for an original Ohlins steering damper?
3. The exhaust needs a good clean; Is there a preferred method to clean them up, scotch pad/elbow grease?
4. The frame has a few very minor paint chips so I need original paint code, does anyone know where I can find this?
5. Headlights have misted/fogged; Does anyone know of a good website for secondhand OEM parts?
6. Left side mirror glass has been replaced but the magnification is off and vehicles appear a lot closer than the right mirror. Can anyone recommend a place to get as close to OEM mirror as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Absolutely stunning bike.

2. If you're talking about good used condition, around $300 and could be a lot lower than that if you wait long enough.
3. I think Wenol is good enough. There're some other specific exhaust cleaning products that look promising but I don't remember the names.
4. Local Ducati dealers could help perhaps?
5. ebay.com , or even ebay.de/ ebay.co.uk
6. Better try the above see if you can fine the OEM one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely stunning bike.

2. If you're talking about good used condition, around $300 and could be a lot lower than that if you wait long enough.
3. I think Wenol is good enough. There're some other specific exhaust cleaning products that look promising but I don't remember the names.
4. Local Ducati dealers could help perhaps?
5. ebay.com , or even ebay.de/ ebay.co.uk
6. Better try the above see if you can fine the OEM one.
Thank you.

Saw a few secondhand OEM steering dampers for 100-150$ and some Ohlins for 400-500$. Will keep an eye on the OEM ones as want to keep it as original as possible.

Will check out Wenol, cheers.

I've checked online for hours for the paint code but no joy, will take the bike to the local dealer this weekend and see what they say.

And will keep an eye on ebay for some mirrors/mirror glass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
5. Search the forum. There are several posts on how to clean the fog out. It’s tedious but not hard.

6. I have a spare mirror glass on the plastic base you can have if you want. I actually have both left and right so figure out for sure which you need and hit me up with a PM.

Love seeing bikes from this era getting TLC.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Hi

Picking up a 2002 748R next week, no. 408 in great condition with a little TLC required (some minor cosmetic stuff) with 18,000km on the clock...

I have some questions I hope you can help with:
First of all, welcome aboard. Second of all, nice bike! Hopefully you will get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have from mine. Response to some of your questions are below.

1. What is the best place for carbon parts? The two panels either side of the handlebars bar (air ducts?) have some slight marks, if I can't clean them up will replace them with carbon.
Here are a couple of the vendors I have used for replacement carbon parts:

Shift-Tech Carbon Performance
Motowheels
World of QB Carbon - Carbon Fibre for Motorcycles

IMHO we are the caretakers of these machines, and it is incumbent upon us to maintain them in a manner which is befitting to their heritage and era, and that means quality, period correct replacements/upgrades. I can speak personally to the quality of the components I have purchased from Shift Tech (manufacturer) and MotoWheels (distributor). World of Carbon I have no experience with, but their stuff is made correctly, and looks to be of good quality.

I have also had a bit of luck on eBay, and managed to snag a pair of DP Corse runners for a fraction of what they cost new.

They were not in the best of shape, but they were restorable. That being said, there is far more junk on eBay than gems... be careful. You want only CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer) parts, you DO NOT want CFRP/GFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer/Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer) sandwich construction. Those parts, at least the ones I have seen, are typically of lower overall quality, and weigh significantly more.

2. Whats a good price for an original Ohlins steering damper?
Absolutely no idea. However it is fairly easy to determine the price of any part on your bike using Ducati of Omaha's OEM Parts Catalog: Ducati Omaha, OEM Parts

3. The exhaust needs a good clean; Is there a preferred method to clean them up, scotch pad/elbow grease?
I put a full 50mm Termi system on mine and had it ceramic coated by Jet Hot ( Jet-Hot ) precisely so I would not have to deal with cleaning pipes any longer.

4. The frame has a few very minor paint chips so I need original paint code, does anyone know where I can find this?
I believe someone already posted the Ducati PPG color codes, but if you are just filling a couple of small scratches I would try ColorRite. ( ColorRite )

5. Headlights have misted/fogged; Does anyone know of a good website for secondhand OEM parts?
Save your money... here is a document I put together a few years ago which details how to get the headlamp assembly out of the bike, and how to clean it. Headlamp Cleaning.pdf

6. Left side mirror glass has been replaced but the magnification is off and vehicles appear a lot closer than the right mirror. Can anyone recommend a place to get as close to OEM mirror as possible.
Again, Ducati of Omaha if you can't find another source.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this is what you have been looking for? ....... nice ride by the way.
5. Search the forum. There are several posts on how to clean the fog out. It’s tedious but not hard.

6. I have a spare mirror glass on the plastic base you can have if you want. I actually have both left and right so figure out for sure which you need and hit me up with a PM.

Love seeing bikes from this era getting TLC.
Cheers :) that would much appreciated. I will double check the mirror, I think it's left one but will check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all, welcome aboard. Second of all, nice bike! Hopefully you will get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have from mine. Response to some of your questions are below.

Motowheels

IMHO we are the caretakers of these machines, and it is incumbent upon us to maintain them in a manner which is befitting to their heritage and era, and that means quality, period correct replacements/upgrades. I can speak personally to the quality of the components I have purchased from Shift Tech (manufacturer) and MotoWheels (distributor). World of Carbon I have no experience with, but their stuff is made correctly, and looks to be of good quality.

I have also had a bit of luck on eBay, and managed to snag a pair of DP Corse runners for a fraction of what they cost new.

They were not in the best of shape, but they were restorable. That being said, there is far more junk on eBay than gems... be careful. You want only CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer) parts, you DO NOT want CFRP/GFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer/Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer) sandwich construction. Those parts, at least the ones I have seen, are typically of lower overall quality, and weigh significantly more.

Absolutely no idea. However it is fairly easy to determine the price of any part on your bike using Ducati of Omaha's OEM Parts Catalog: Ducati Omaha, OEM Parts

I put a full 50mm Termi system on mine and had it ceramic coated by Jet Hot ( Jet-Hot ) precisely so I would not have to deal with cleaning pipes any longer.

I believe someone already posted the Ducati PPG color codes, but if you are just filling a couple of small scratches I would try ColorRite. ( ColorRite )

Save your money... here is a document I put together a few years ago which details how to get the headlamp assembly out of the bike, and how to clean it. Headlamp Cleaning.pdf

Awesome, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Motowheels

Where did you get your tail-tidy from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you.

Saw a few secondhand OEM steering dampers for 100-150$ and some Ohlins for 400-500$. Will keep an eye on the OEM ones as want to keep it as original as possible.

Will check out Wenol, cheers.

I've checked online for hours for the paint code but no joy, will take the bike to the local dealer this weekend and see what they say.

And will keep an eye on ebay for some mirrors/mirror glass.
Aren't oem ones supposed to be Ohlins on 748r as well?

Since the bike is considered a classic and I think you chose the original road, I would also suggest:-

1. OEM carbon parts is the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 748R from 2002 since almost new. It has an steering damper from Öhlins. But I have read from different sources during the years that not all 748R had an Öhlins branded steering damper from the factory. True or not. I don't really know.

Only modification I´ve done to my bike is the Marchesini magnesium wheels. Still have the OEM wheels in a box. Also use the half system from Termignoni that I got with the bike.

It´s an old bike now but still turns heads on the road and track even among newer and more exclusive machinery. Many 748R´s have been molested during the years. You don´t see a nice kept 748R that often any more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All on hold for now...

Went to transfer ownership at the traffic authority here and wheeling the bike to the test area it dumped a load of coolant. Checking online I see its a fairly common problem so the owner has said he'll get it fixed before handing over.

Was looking forward to a ride this week too :|

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Where did you get your tail-tidy from?
I got it from a company named TPO Parts, which unfortunately does not seem to be in business any longer...

TPO-Parts-Stealth-License-Bracket

It was designed to work with the DP Carbon Underseat Tray, which replaces the entire rear mudguard/license plate holder/signal lamp mount.

Not only does it look significantly cleaner, it saves about half the weight of the standard setup as the OEM mudguard has a molded in place steel bracket sandwiched inside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
It´s an old bike now but still turns heads on the road and track even among newer and more exclusive machinery. Many 748R´s have been molested during the years. You don´t see a nice kept 748R that often any more.
Truth...

Oh, and I have the same Mg wheels on mine... they are a game changer with regards to turn in and overall responsiveness.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got it from a company named TPO Parts, which unfortunately does not seem to be in business any longer...

TPO-Parts-Stealth-License-Bracket

It was designed to work with the DP Carbon Underseat Tray, which replaces the entire rear mudguard/license plate holder/signal lamp mount.

Not only does it look significantly cleaner, it saves about half the weight of the standard setup as the OEM mudguard has a molded in place steel bracket sandwiched inside.
Hi,

Actually Bellissimoto have purchased TPO and are selling the parts, I was informed of by Lyle from Bellissimoto.
It may still be available

Best of luck

L8tr
Pete

Reactions: ProphetPVD
1 - 17 of 17 Posts