Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, new to bikes.

Actually, this bike is my bro-in-laws. I am storing it for him. He comes around once in a while and rides. Prob is the battery is always dead, therefore we have to jump start it.

No prob right, WRONG!!! He can mess up anything. So, my problem (Cause he won't fix it) is this: When u go to jump start it, lights come on, gauges activate, horn works and everything. Fuses are all good. However, when u hit the start button, nothing.

Any ideas wher to start. I have no idea.

I appreciate any help, Whitt. (Or probably better said, "Lost and Confused")

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
there is nothing wrong with the bike.
like every other automotive battery, motorcycle batteries lose charge over time when left plugged in. It's just the nature of the beast.
Motorcycle batteries are smaller than car batteries, so they lose charge quicker.
Buy a battery tender or your preferred trickle charger and leave it plugged in when stored for a long time; or unplug the battery and store it in a cool dry place.
Btw, that battery is a goner. It will likely not hold a charge even if you put it on a heavy duty charger.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
might seem overly simple, but are you doing this while the bike is on the sidestand?
The 748 has a "safety" switch that won't let you start it (or even run in Neutral) while the sidestand is down. If this has been bypassed, your problem
is the battery, but if you are new to Ducatis (and the 748 in particular) try sitting on it, putting up the sidestand, ensuring it's in Neutral (green "N" light on dash) and try the starter again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts