Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748, 1974 Ducati 350S, 1994 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer, 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, hi everyone... So i am aware i should check the wire diagram which i have but... for some people, and i am one of them, it can be difficult to understand it. Sorry, we all have our limits. Since my ducati in one of the most popular bikes in history and the electrical system is notoriously fragile on them i wonder if someone has a quick answer like "it's the relay on the right".

Bike: Ducati 748 - year 2000 - monoposto.
Wiring harness: unmodified.
Engine: unmodified
ECU: Termis 45mm

When you turn the key:
- the fuel pump works
- the headlight (always on as default) works
- brake light for rear and front brake flashes.
- Dashboard with no light for neutral, fuel reserve or turning lights.
- Turning lights don't work (integrated rear lights. No front blinkers)
- beamers don't work but light on dash board turn on if you flicker the swith or push the beamer button.
- continuous rear light don't work.
- Electric starter works and bike fires up.

I checked the fuses and they are not broken. Big relays under the seat should be fine.
I did lightly sandpaper brush the connectors in battery area.
I did fasten the solenoid next to battery.
Battery freshly charged.

Anyone out there with similar Shakespearean experience?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748, 1974 Ducati 350S, 1994 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer, 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorted. Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given the response i had i appear to be the only one in 24 years. Ha ha ha.

It was a couple of things: A disconnected wire inside the headlights bucket, then I sandpapered all the connections inside there to relays and between wires and ultimately i have found one of the 7.5 fuses was broken but you noticed it only if held against the light. As if it was cracked. I assume it was the fuse.

Headlight don't work but instead the positioning light and the beamer do. Left turn in the integrated turning lights doesn't work but for the moment it's good enough for me. I always ride with beamer on and avoid night anyway. Of course, i'd love to here from others.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
there's a big round connector in the wiring loom above the battery. check it for corrosion.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Given the response i had i appear to be the only one in 24 years. Ha ha ha.

It was a couple of things: A disconnected wire inside the headlights bucket, then I sandpapered all the connections inside there to relays and between wires and ultimately i have found one of the 7.5 fuses was broken but you noticed it only if held against the light. As if it was cracked. I assume it was the fuse.

Headlight don't work but instead the positioning light and the beamer do. Left turn in the integrated turning lights doesn't work but for the moment it's good enough for me. I always ride with beamer on and avoid night anyway. Of course, i'd love to here from others.
If you can wield a multimeter, it is your best friend.
This way you can test where voltage stops.

I suspect that you might have crap connections in the headlight bucket and/or to the dash.

Whilst you found a stuffed fuse visually, I never trust visual and use a multimeter on the resistance/Ohms setting to test.
Might be a really silly thing to suggest, but have you tested the low beam bulb out of the bike and direct to a 12V source?
Are you measuring 12V or so at the connector to the low beam bulb?

From memory, I recall Stick wrote/posted a guide on how to use a multimeter.
Using one in conjunction with a wiring diagram is one of the most powerful fault finding tools.
I know it is not everyones "bag" but once you get the hang of a wiring diagram and working out I should measure X here, but I do or don't can save a lot of angst.
Also money as I am a firm believer in test first and buy when necessary.
I don't work in the motorcycle repair industry or the industry at al, but have seen people buy often expensive parts as repair by replacement when the issue was something quite simple and the new part did not fix it.

Just my take.

This not a go at you as we say in Australia, but I found it amusing and quite true in many cases.

Commonsense is not a gift, it is a punishment as you have to deal with those that do not have it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the advice people.

Yeah it ain't over but you know, i really wanted to ride it. She is at the body shop getting polished and when she comes back i'll have a look at your suggestions and report. Money is a factor but moreover i just want to learn do everything myself. It's just another level of satisfaction.

Thank you and goodnight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts