Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm new to Ducati world but I'm looking into buying one soon.
Currently I have 98 Ducati 748 with only 6K miles and 97 Ducati 916 with 14K miles on the market (both have same asking price) that I'm about to make an offer but I need some advise.
If I'm looking for the most reliable, good resell value and money worth to buy, which one should I choose? the 748 or 916?

Thank you for all advices....!!!

Bonaldi:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends on the years you are comparing, what model years etc etc...
Some years are more exclusive then others, can you give more details on bikes. I sell you a 2002 748s Senna with 2320 for 8500.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on the years you are comparing, what model years etc etc...
Some years are more exclusive then others, can you give more details on bikes. I sell you a 2002 748s Senna with 2320 for 8500.00.
Its 98 Ducati 748 vs 97 Ducati 916

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I should have read your original post more carefully. I am no expert by any means but the 97 916 was near perfection at that time period. With those year models the flaking problem was the issue. But depending on how good of a deal you are getting, go for it. Ducatis do require more "love" or "work" whichever you want to call it to maintain. But it is a DUCATI.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The 916 will have more power.

How can you go wrong with a 916?

I've had two.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Few things to keep in mind. The 748 and 916 are pretty much the same bikes with only the stroke and bore different. Otherwise they're the same motor and same components. A good 748 will put out roughly 15hp less then a 916, but the torq figures are more like 30lb's difference.

I'm not going to recommend either bike if its your first Ducati, unless you've got the money for "potential" major service. If you are desperately seeking a Ducati with that body style, I'd hold out for a 998. They have WAY more power and a MUCH more reliable motor.

With that being said the 718/916 is an iconic bike and they really can be very nice to ride. They're a classic model in every sense of the word and its very kool to be riding a piece of history. But, a 1998 916 really has a 20 year old motor, which was designed in 1988 and until 2001, didn't change much. If you understand its JUST a piece of history that your riding (a good one at that) then buy any old Ducati you want. If your interested in having something reliable and that will last without much service over the course of your ownership, then you need to be more picky on what you buy, thats all.

Good luck with your decision and no matter what you do, you MUST ride the bikes before buying to get a feel of the difference.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I went from a 748SP to a 916SPS and i can honestly say that the bikes are really alike, except that the big CC engine in my 916 REALLY makes a big difference.

I would highly recommend the move if your looking for abit more power. Just don´t expect a MAJORLY HUGE diffrence. The biggest diffrence will be midrange from 4K rpm and up.

Everything else between the bikes are roughly the same.. electrical, chassi, fairings, ergonomics and such.. The only diffrence is that the 916 has more power.
Reliability is down to how good a wrench has been working on the bikes and how often.

If your seruios about the move, I´d probably look a 996 instead.. But thats just me.

//amullo

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would go for the 916 in this scenario every time. Personally, I find 916 ownership quite rewarding. Even if forced to choose between a 998 and 916, I would make the same decision. My bike was part of a revolution, which to me means much more than the evolution that followed:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
916 with the classic Cagiva graphics--it's one of the most beautiful bikes out there.........I would take that bike over the 748 and 998.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Well I'm biased but would say get the 916, the extra power is worth it particularly the mid-range which is where Ducati's score highly.

The old Desmoquattros are not (by a long way) the fastest machine out there but the way the power is delivered means they can hold their own and punch well above their weight in 'normal' road-riding, even today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts