Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm a new Ducati 748 owner, but I've been riding for almost 18 years now. The worst possible thing happened the day after I registered my new baby. I was leaving the gas station at night on the way home from work and my front end locked up on top of a large piece of aluminumn (looked like a crushed tube about 20" long) and slid out from under me as I was trying to exit the station. God damned construction sites not cleaning up their shit.

Anyway, I wasn't hurt, was only barely moving. The bike didn't fair as well. The lower right fairing was destroyed, the carbon fiber clutch cover was destroyed, and 2 of the mounts for the clutch pressure plate broke (from the drum). I was so pissed that I actually managed to lift the bike up alone maybe 10 seconds after it touched the ground. The bike wouldn't run without throttle. My thought was that the offbalance weight of the broken clutch pressure plate mounts was throwing it off. So I had a friend come pick me up with a trailer and we brought it home.

Immediately when I arrived home, I ordered a used stock clutch assembly for a 748 on ebay, as well as a new clutch cover and a lower right fairing. My clutch that had broken only needed a new drum, since the mounts extending from the original had broken. When the ordered clutch got here, that was all I took from the assembly, cleaned it up, and put everything back together.

Now I'm having two problems.

1. The clutch makes a nasty tinging sound, which sounds like the outer clutch plates clicking against the basket, so I'm wondering if that's normal after installing new clutch plates (since I cleaned these ones off with a wet rag, they look pretty new). Also, when I try and rotate the clutch by hand with the bike off, I can hear the plates clanging on the basket. Is this normal? I would also like to note that I only had the bike for 2 days before this occurred, so I didn't really have the sound memorized, and now it has been out of commission for 3 weeks.

2. The bike won't idle. It will run if I give it a very very slight amount of throttle, almost barely putting pressure on the handgrip seems to keep it running. But as soon as I let go, it will die.

So, I don't know if problem 2 is related to problem 1, or if problem 1 is even a problem. I'm not experienced at all in dealing with these v-twins or dry clutches, so any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long story, thanks for reading, and thanks for the help in advance.

-Kurtis

·
Registered
107 Posts
It sounds like your clutch is normal. The play between the plate tangs and basket make that spoons in the blender sound. The idle problem could be alot of things. Some things that come to mind. Did the previous owner install a lighter than stock flywheel?, could just need gone over and tuned up and check the TPS and fuel mapping. How many miles on the bike. How old is the gas, and plugs. Without knowing if any work had been done to the engine it is hard to start guessing what might be causing stalling issues. As with anything start with the simple stuff and progress to the harder. If your going to replace the stock clutch cover. I would recommend something that will protect it rather than the CF or half cover types that look cool but don't prevent what happened to you. There are some vented and non vented ones that are beefy enough to survive most low side type crashes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I had another friend come over to the house and take a look at it. He said the clutch sounds the same as it did when I showed it to him. So that, and your post make me feel more at ease.

I got the bike to idle by adjusting the tension on the throttle cable at the right handlebar mount. It was all the way in with some slack before, now it's just barely taut. After it was idling without trouble, I took it around the block. It doesn't die now, but feels a bit sluggish on the throttle. I'm going to pull the spark plugs and see if they have some gunk on them. I remember my dirt bikes' plugs getting fouled after wrecks, so it's worth a shot.

Some more info on the bike. It has a full stainless exhaust with carbon fiber mufflers. I don't know the manufacturer, as there are no markings on them. The CPU under the seat has been opened up before, but it still looks like the stock chip is in there, so I have no idea if it was ever adjusted for the new exhaust. The exhaust seems new to me, although I don't know when it was put on, I can still see some of the new packing burning off now and then in the mufflers. The bike has 6400 miles on it, such a shame it was never ridden, but good for me.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The idle problem sounds like maybe the throttle was jibbered up. Just might be as simple as an adjustment along the throttle cable somewhere?

Good lesson why a proper clutch cover is very important. You could have saved yourself several bills.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
zortness said:
1. The clutch makes a nasty tinging sound, which sounds like the outer clutch plates clicking against the basket, so I'm wondering if that's normal after installing new clutch plates (since I cleaned these ones off with a wet rag, they look pretty new). Also, when I try and rotate the clutch by hand with the bike off, I can hear the plates clanging on the basket. Is this normal? I would also like to note that I only had the bike for 2 days before this occurred, so I didn't really have the sound memorized, and now it has been out of commission for 3 weeks.

2. The bike won't idle. It will run if I give it a very very slight amount of throttle, almost barely putting pressure on the handgrip seems to keep it running. But as soon as I let go, it will die.
-Kurtis
When you took your clutch apart, did you keep the plates in order and assemble the same as stock? The stock plates will groove into the basket and then if you have changed the plates around, they will not line up with original indents in the basket and could cause a different sound than you are used to hearing. Will the bike shift ok?

+1 on a metal clutch cover. I like my SpeedyMoto, its stout and I have seen pics of it crash tested and it fully protected the clutch.

Before the accident was your 748 tempermental when cold? Have you warmed the motor up and it still fails to remain idling? Dropping the bike on the right side, did the right clip-on contact the ground, something may have damaged the throttle, cable or where its connected to the throttlebodies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I got everything working now. I was dismayed to find that the spark plug on the top cylinder was nearly falling out it was so loose. I was able to take it off by hand =(. So with a sandblasting and regapping of the plugs and a slight adjustment of the throttle cable at the right handlebar, everything appears to be running fine. I put a dab of loctite on all the plugs and all the screws. The guy I bought it off of probably changed the plugs and didn't tighten them down all the way... the plugs look brand new. To my happiness, it is also running quieter... I assume due to the lack of exhaust flow under the seat from the loose plug.

Oh well, it's working now.

And I hear you loud and clear about the clutch cover. I had actually ordered an aluminumn one before the accident because I didn't like the look of the carbon fiber one. Oh well... what's done is done, I don't want to think about what if I had waited for the new cover, but yes, the new one is milled aluminumn.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.