Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first real post here.

I´ve had some problems with my new to me 2001 748..

My clutch was pushing outwards towards my open clutch cover which resulted in the clutch not engaging gears after a while and fu***** my clutch spring washer, didnt understand what it was because im a noobie. Found the fault, which was the nut behind the pressure plate was not secure.

I was stupid enough to try to torque it up to 190NM by jamming the clutch with a screwdriver which resulted in a broken clutch drum.

My question is as followed:

Can I use whatever clutch drum i want? I live in Norway so I want to get the part ASAP and it would help me alot if I could use 999/1098 or whatever

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
...Can I use whatever clutch drum i want? I live in Norway so I want to get the part ASAP and it would help me alot if I could use 999/1098 or whatever
The clutch drum on your 748 is Ducati P/N "198.1.027.1A"... unless I am mistaken, that same dry clutch, and hence that same P/N is used on the base 996/998/749/999. Not sure about any models beyond that. You can check the Parts Diagrams for those other bikes pretty quickly over at Ducati Omaha... https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch drum on your 748 is Ducati P/N "198.1.027.1A"... unless I am mistaken, that same dry clutch, and hence that same P/N is used on the base 996/998/749/999. Not sure about any models beyond that. You can check the Parts Diagrams for those other bikes pretty quickly over at Ducati Omaha... https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts
Thanks for the link, "196.1.001.1B" is clutch drum, you copied clutch houseing. Thanks anyway.

Is the P/N still the same only for 748/749 lines?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I think you are ok if you stay away from the R models, but Ian already fixed you up with the link above to look up your bike and whatever bike you are considering a part from.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
Thanks for the link, "196.1.001.1B" is clutch drum, you copied clutch houseing. Thanks anyway.
Oops... good catch. Sorry for the mix up.

...Is the P/N still the same only for 748/749 lines?
No... the non slipper, dry clutch assemblies are the same unit and were used on a wide range of bikes over a pretty wide range of years... for your model year that would include the 996 Biposto, the 996 Mono, the 996s and the 748.

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here, the search feature is wonderful. I don't want to complicate things but just to give you many options. That same drum was used in the super sports, ie 900, 750, as well as the monsters with carbs and fuel injection up to the testastretta motors. There are even a few sport touring bikes with the same hub like the ST2 and early ST4's. As mentioned above just check Ducati Omaha's site to confirm the hub is the same from whatever bike you are getting it from with yours. Also agree with above posters, as many bikes have been modified from stock over the years, that any bike fitted with a slipper, that hub will not work. enjoy the ride. Best Wishes Brad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops... good catch. Sorry for the mix up.

No... the non slipper, dry clutch assemblies are the same unit and were used on a wide range of bikes over a pretty wide range of years... for your model year that would include the 996 Biposto, the 996 Mono, the 996s and the 748.
Thank you guys. Ordered a new clutch drum and, tools and washers for the springs yesterday. Also contacted Termi to buy some stickers for my cans. They sent me it for free! :grin2:

Next question:

I tried to run the bike with 5/6 clutch springs, which you could imagine did not go that great. Today I went back to see her and removed the opposite spring and it seems to run just fine on 4/6, except for the clutch being very light. Is it OK to drive as is? Or should I let her wait for her spare parts?

Also, when its raining is it normal with a lot of steam coming up from the radiator/motor?

/Ian

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
...I tried to run the bike with 5/6 clutch springs, which you could imagine did not go that great. Today I went back to see her and removed the opposite spring and it seems to run just fine on 4/6, except for the clutch being very light. Is it OK to drive as is?
That clutch is designed to operate effectively based on the total force generated by all 6 of the springs. Remember, their function is not just to close the clutch when you release the lever, it is to maintain proper surface pressure between the friction or drive plates and flat steel or aluminum driven plates. Less total spring force, means less total pressure between plates, which means the likelihood of the plates slipping is increased. If it were me, I would wait.

...Also, when its raining is it normal with a lot of steam coming up from the radiator/motor?
No idea... I've never driven mine in anything other than ideal weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts