Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new around here and I just bought a project bike that the previous owner lost the keys to, a 2003 Ducati 620 Dark. I got a great deal so I figured worst case scenario I can swap it to Carb or part it out, but I'm a pretty handy guy and would like to remove the immobi from the ECU through a new map and bring this thing back to life!

So far a bunch of people say this is possible, and obviously it is if there are companies offering the service (for $250), but my google fu is not good enough to find EXACTLY the method I need to go about this. I ordered the necessary OBD and USB cables and downloaded the correct drivers, I think.

What next? Should I use DucatiDiag, TuneECU, Guzzi(something)? I put another ignition switch/key set into the bike that a friend had laying around and now the bike turns on, but obviously the immobi is preventing it from cranking.

Thanks so much in advance, and if anyone needs proof that this bike is not stolen before offering advice, I will gladly provide pics of the title as well as the folder of service records from the P.O.

ETA: Thread is worthless without pics, right?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You will need to find an "XDF" file for that bike. With the appropriate XDF loaded into TunerPro you should be able to turn off the immobilizer. I have never worked on one of those so I am only guessing based on the ECU files that I have seen. You will also need Guzzdiag to read and write to the ECU.

t_bare

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
For about $250 either Houston Superbikes or MotoWheels can reflash your ECU with a DP performance map (if available) and also remove the immobilizer. But you need to call them first because your dash could be linked to the ECU.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need to find an "XDF" file for that bike. With the appropriate XDF loaded into TunerPro you should be able to turn off the immobilizer. I have never worked on one of those so I am only guessing based on the ECU files that I have seen. You will also need Guzzdiag to read and write to the ECU.

t_bare
Awesome thanks for the info. Is an XDF the same as an HEX file? I found a map for my bike in the hex format. If not, what is an XDF file and what does it do?

Sorry for the noob questions. This is my first Ducati/immobi problem.

Another question: I downloaded GuzziDiag, but when it asks me to pick which bike I have, which one would be compatible with my 620?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Did you download GuzziDiag or IAWDiag? I think you have a 59M ECU on your bike and I don't believe MotoGuzzi used that ECU on any bikes. You might be able to connect using IAWDiag but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I believe you will find that you have a 5.9 ECU There is software that can read and write to that ECU but the "Editing" part is where it gets tricky. An XDF file is a "translator interface" used by TunerPro to decode and edit your BIN file which is your map. Now if you have a HEX file and you are able to write that to your ECU using TuneECU that may work as well. I would pursue the HEX file first, I am not aware of any XDF files for the 5.9ecu but I have not looked for one. TuneECU uses HEX and TunerPro uses BIN.

Hope that helps.

Post (attach) the HEX file that you have and I'll see if I can read it. Add.txt to the end so that it will upload.

t_bare

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Did you download GuzziDiag or IAWDiag? I think you have a 59M ECU on your bike and I don't believe MotoGuzzi used that ECU on any bikes. You might be able to connect using IAWDiag but I'm not sure.
Jerry,
iaw5x (reader & writer) will do the 59 ECU. I have not used it on my 998 because I do not have a working XDF :(

t_bare

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Don't forget to order a "Fiat 3 pin to ODB2" cable

I loaded up the above xdf and bin files, it looks like that is what you need.

t_bare

·
Registered
567 Posts
Its not very difficult at all. As said earlier you need an OBD cable. I use a VAG. Then you need the fiat adaptor. IAW5X reader and writer. An XDF for the bike and tunerpro. Pull the map with IAW5X reader. Disabled the immo with tunerpro using the XDF. Upload it to the ECU with the IAW5X writer.

Its that simple. It might however be a bit fiddly and difficult the first time before you find your ways around the softwares but if i could learn can everyone can learn.😁

Jocke.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, thanks for y'alls help. This is what I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053NRLHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3TZT02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spoke to a member of one of the big name Duc tuning shops and he basically balked at me when I told him I was attempting this myself. He told me that my model specifically would still be bricked even if I did the ECU reflash because of the immobilizer in the dash. He said it would only run with the dash removed. Is this true?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not very difficult at all. As said earlier you need an OBD cable. I use a VAG. Then you need the fiat adaptor. IAW5X reader and writer. An XDF for the bike and tunerpro. Pull the map with IAW5X reader. Disabled the immo with tunerpro using the XDR. Upload it to the ECU with the IAW5X writer.

Its that simple. It might however be a bit fiddly and difficult the first time before you find your ways around the softwares but if i could learn can everyone can learn.��

Jocke.

Where can I download the IAW writer/ Reader? I googled it to no avail..

NVM: Found them here

http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

·
Registered
567 Posts
Awesome, thanks for y'alls help. This is what I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053NRLHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3TZT02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spoke to a member of one of the big name Duc tuning shops and he basically balked at me when I told him I was attempting this myself. He told me that my model specifically would still be bricked even if I did the ECU reflash because of the immobilizer in the dash. He said it would only run with the dash removed. Is this true?
Not true. I have been disabeling the immo on a few 2;nd hand ECUs that i have been buying on ebay. I have been using ducatidiag flasher for 59m and guzzidiag flasher for 5am. The reason i used ducatidiag was that at this time guzzidiag did not work on 59m. Today it does.

Works good.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Taking away some ones business.....I guess his response is somehow normal. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not true. I have been disabeling the immo on a few 2;nd hand ECUs that i have been buying on ebay. I have been using ducatidiag flasher for 59m and guzzidiag flasher for 5am. The reason i used ducatidiag was that at this time guzzidiag did not work on 59m. Today it does.

Works good.

Taking away some ones business.....I guess his response is somehow normal. ;)
I figured he was full of shit.

He didn't have to lie, but he did and it makes sense to me now why he did. He offered me a trade straight up, as-is: my bike for a 2001 Monster 750ss Track only bike.

He made it sound like the only option was the $450 service for new keys. Meh, I didn't "take" any of his business, I just now know for sure to avoid him and his skeezy ways.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today is the day!!

How long does it typically take to flash an ECU? Any last minute tips before the cables arrive?

·
Registered
413 Posts
A minute or so.

Make a backup of the original file, before messing with the ecu.
Do not switch polarities on the battery with the cables, will fry your ecu.
Do not use the blue-tooth option to flash your ecu.
Check if your cables actual work, 'cause 99% of the time the cables are the culprit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok cool thanks. Can You link me to the proper drivers I'll need for the cables in order to run IAW?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts