Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just install a 800ss/1000ss high pressure fuel pump in place of the old carby low pressure pump and expect the 695 injection to be happy with that.
I am guessing the CPU reads fuel pressure from somewhere but I cannot see a fuel pressure sensor anywhere. Maybe I am in luck and it doesn't care?

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
The ecu never sees fuel pressure but it is quite likely they are all running the same pressure (695,800 and 1000) so there should be no harm if you mount a regulator rated for the correct pressure. I assume you are usiing a steel tank so you need a pressure regulator from a bike with a external regulator or a aftermarket adjustable.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
they're all 3 bar. just need the throttle bodies with external regulator on them - all steel tank ssie and monsters had them. the original 695 ones would be those annoying bing ones with the back facing balance adjuster i expect. any 800 or 1000 set will have the linear tps. i'd be inclined to remove the fuel tap and just put an elbow on there, in case the tap holds it back at all. but finding the right thread may be an issue now that i think about it.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally fitted the 1000ss fuel pump which was pretty straight forward and have fuel pressure and a spark and expected the bike to fire up which it did not..
Q1: I am guessing the 695 fuel pump has an internal fuel pressure sensor which is now gone and that's the reason I need a set of 800ss throttle bodies which has an external pressure sensor?
Q2: Where do I run the hose that comes off the pressure sensor on the 800ss throttle bodies?
Screenshot (19).png

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
the 695 tank has the pressure reg in the pump plate.

run the hose from your external reg into the original tank return hose, which will complete the circuit.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 695 tank has the pressure reg in the pump plate.

run the hose from your external reg into the original tank return hose, which will complete the circuit.
Cheers Belter found one on ebay .

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
i got to ride this bike earlier this week. it's a little ripper. not sure how much power it would make, but i don't think it'd be much less than a 900 carby motor. certainly builds speed for what it is.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
If it is a built motor I could see it competing with a stock 900, the 695's (and 696) in my dyno barley is higher peak power than a 750 and less midrange. A 900ie with slip ons is up about 10rwhp at peak and more in midrange. Compared to a m600 (all stock carby) the 695 is about a 20rwhp gain so in comparison a rocket ship.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
that surprises me. i was thinking that the carby 900 used to make 75 on the previous dynobike dyno, and the m800 / s2r800 i did with mufflers and open lids made up to 80, and given the 695 has the same cams and heads as the 800 it'd make something towards that, so if it had 5 less than an 800 it would realistically be about the same as carby 900. not the midrange power, but once it was revving it went nicely.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
lol.. different dynos?
The only way a 800 will hit 80 on my dyno is with hi-comps(race compression) ,cams,porting etc. That said a carby 900 is usually low 70's with a slip on and jet kit. next time the dyno is up I will post up what I see in comparison. Keep in mind the 695 in my dyno was 100% stock and is a sample of 1 , I will have a few 800's in mostly stock form.

Bruce was by a week ago with one of Walts superbikes and he was thinking I am about 10% lower than what he see's elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
i get the different dyno thing.

this is my 750 in its high comp/ported/big cam state on the old and new dynobike dyno's. no bike changes.

these are all runs from the old dyno, so should compare. red 900ss carb with termis, green my m750 from above, blue m800 with mufflers, open lid and tuning, orange s2r800 with arrow, open lid and tuning. good 900ssie would be a couple more than the orange maybe. this is why i was thinking the 695 should be somewhat like a 900 carb peak wise. i've not dynod any 695 or 696. hopefully my 659 will make some decent power - it'd have to make more than a 750 did surely - the valves are 3mm bigger with a couple of mm more lift. be depressing if it didn't.

i've put them against speed because against rpm i get the tails of the runs making a mess of the graph. is there a way to clean up the graphs with this new software? i really haven't done much with it and don't understand it.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Yes there is a setting designed to clip the end of the run and remove the tails, when I get to the shop I will see if I can explain how to find it.

When you mention "and tuning" on the 800's are you changing cam timing or just meaning "a tune up"?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
pretty much everything i do involves cam timing, certainly done on those 4. the s2r800 had an ultimap ecu fitted and mapped, so hopefully it was as good as it would get pretty much. the m800 had one of the techlusion sfi units fitted to dump some more fuel in. it needed as much as could be added through some of the range.

s2r800 cam timing change, was 116/118 as delivered, reset to 110. no other change - arrow full system, std ecu and airbox i think.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
lol, yes I would expect improvements over stock bikes with that sort of tuning the numbers I mention are as delivered by Ducati set up . It is hard enough around here to get someone to do service let alone degree their cams and swap ecu's especially on small bikes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is an interesting thread -- I have a 900ssie engine in a superbike frame, with pipercross foam filters (on matched OEM stacks) -- due to airbox incompatibility. Based on the advice here, I've removed the external fuel pressure regulator on the ie throttle bodies, so I can just use the one in the 1098 tank. Exhaust system is 900ss stacks, mated to an arrow system for an s2r. It's supposed to warm up a bit in a few days (double digits in the celcius range!) so I'm hoping to fire it up. The engine is a low mileage one from a Bimota, which I have had running, but with the new frame I've had to swap out the loom. I'm hoping the new loom and intake/exhaust configuration is close enough to run, and then I'll get it tuned in the spring before race season. If we're racing... Has a PCIII hooked up as well.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Okay so the m900 carby is a mostly stock bike running 1 snorkle in the airbox lid and slip ons 57,000 miles = dark blue

M900ie has slip ons and a closed airbox lid and slip on pipes,dp map 42,000 miles = yellow

S2r-800 full Arrow exhaust system and power commander, open airbox 16,000 miles = green

M696 termi slip ons, K&N air filter, Dp ecu 14,000 miles = red

M695 all stock 2500 miles = blue

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Three more for fun
The all stock m695 Red

A carbureted m750 with slipns and iirc no airbox-jetted. = Blue

A carbureted m750 with a 800 motor swapped in and converted to carburetors (stock cv mikunis) slip ons and open airbox lid.

The m695 does do better than the carby 750 but only by 2 rwhp at the last thousand rpms. The 750 though has a
3-10rwhp benefit everywhere else. The 800 carby is the clear winner bang for the buck with minimal modifications you get a nice midrange focused power curve that is easy to ride and does not need to be run hard to enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
well that's just sad.

i hardly ever got to dyno all std bikes. just the way it was back then.

compare the carby 900 and the carbed 800. looks pretty close, less than 11% anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not to hijack the thread... but it does have to do with the original fuel pump query...

900ss ie engine, ie throttle bodies, removed the external fuel pressure regulator, 1098 junctions into the bottom of the tank with proper oilecker (sic) clamps, a test of the wiring harness has the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on. Temps supposed to warm up next week, hopefully a test run (static) before winter... Am I missing anything? Aside from a seat fairing...?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts