Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the rubber air pipes between the carburettas, can I run the bike without them?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
To connect one carburet to the other carburet, and sure - run the bike all day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? connect the carbs, for what purpose and is it possible to run without the pipes or would I have to seal once I have removed the rubber pipes?.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Most people on forum only use one carburetta for distancing on their petrol, you can do the same. Perhaps you are checking the manual?

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Why would you want to remove them ? Especially when you don’t even know their purpose.
That makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would you want to remove them ? Especially when you don’t even know their purpose.
That makes no sense to me.
The rubber pipes have perished, as I don't know the purpose of them I was enquiring weather I could run without, as I can't find a supplier.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is the purpose of the rubber air pipes between the carburettas, can I run the bike without them?
"Rubber air pipes"? Are you actually referring to the hard nylon/plastic vent or fuel rail installed BETWEEN the 2 stock Mikuni carbs? Or rubber inlet rubbers between carbs and airbox?

Must clarify, more precise and descriptive information is required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Rubber air pipes"? Are you actually referring to the hard nylon/plastic vent or fuel rail installed BETWEEN the 2 stock Mikuni carbs? Or rubber inlet rubbers between carbs and airbox?

Must clarify, more precise and descriptive information is required.
It runs from one carb to the other, it was originally a soft rubber tube leading out of each carb into hard plastic units then on to join together in a short metal tube, Initially I thought the hard plastic units were one way valves but you can blow both directions through them, Mystified.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It runs from one carb to the other, it was originally a soft rubber tube leading out of each carb into hard plastic units then on to join together in a short metal tube, Initially I thought the hard plastic units were one way valves but you can blow both directions through them, Mystified.
Can you post the picture? Is it a stock carb? 600SS...what kind of carbs does it have?

·
Sophomore Member
2,895 Posts
I don’t mean this to be disrespectful, but it appears you are in over your head. You seem to be missing a comprehensive understanding of how carburetors work, and especially how these carburetors work. I say this based on the lack of detail in your question along with desire to delete parts that are essential. Please consider getting an experienced friend to help in person or take it to a shop. If you don’t, I fear you will end up chasing problems. I’ve seen this show more than once and it’s frustrating for the individual chasing problems.

Reactions: Svensken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t mean this to be disrespectful, but it appears you are in over your head. You seem to be missing a comprehensive understanding of how carburetors work, and especially how these carburetors work. I say this based on the lack of detail in your question along with desire to delete parts that are essential. Please consider getting an experienced friend to help in person or take it to a shop. If you don’t, I fear you will end up chasing problems. I’ve seen this show more than once and it’s frustrating for the individual chasing problems.
Your right, I don't understand these Carburetors, I have worked most of my life with Amal, the initial question was as these rubber pipes have perished and I can't find a replacement, can I run without. This was an American export and as such probably had more pipes fitted for the American clean air laws which are not nessessary in this country(UK).As I don't know of a dealership near me in the North East (I am drowning).

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Page 13 lists the part numbers that will fit a very generic carb on Yamaha and Suzuki as well as Ducati. If it is only the rubber hoses that have failed, replace them, no need for a part number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the same carb as 900SS. I'm properly confused - I just can't think of what rubber hose that you are talking about. Is it in this diagram?
yes it is, left carb is11-9-10-'8 and right carb is17-9-10-17-8 but 8 & '8 are joined through a short metal joint making it a loop but neither go to 13. It must have been assembled wrongly before I obtained the bike, wow! I can't thank you enough JB.

·
Registered
362 Posts
yes it is, left carb is11-9-10-'8 and right carb is17-9-10-17-8 but 8 & '8 are joined through a short metal joint making it a loop but neither go to 13. It must have been assembled wrongly before I obtained the bike, wow! I can't thank you enough JB.
You are welcome. These tubes suck air that in turn operates the slides. The black box is there simply to supply (relatively) steady supply of undisturbed air (I think). You can "technically" run the bike without them, but it may cause inconsistent movements in the slides, possibly. Also, you probably don't want to run it without the filters, you don't want crap getting into your carbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts