Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Very clever moc-up. You can clearly see many different bikes in there, from the very obvious monster tail to the 848/1098 tank and fairigns. The interesting part is the under motor exhaust and dual sided box-style swing arm.

I'd say its not too far from the truth for a mono race bike. Though an over-square single with 549cc, eh... I'm gonna have to pass on that one. Its nickname would be thumper! My 848 vibrates like an SOB, I can't imagine what a single would be like, even with a huge counter balance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
The guy who posted this on oliepeil (Dutch site) has the nickname Huge Feek. Feek pronounced in Dutch is Fake.....

Sorry but I don't think this is a very realistic Supermono. Must say that I love the looks. Why not put a 1000DS engine in it?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
you'd think that the asian manufacturers could already do a similar job as the roland sands 450 race bikes. take a street legal dual purpose bike like a suzuki DR650, and re-skin it with the fairing kit. heck the shelf price of the sands kit is around $1k (available through performance machine) i'm surprised someone's not marketing a street kit by now.

if the DR650 MSRP is $5,099, then make the street legal "club racer" for $5,599. use quick disconnect turn signals and you could ride the thing to the track or to work.

of course it can't be this simple. i'm sure i'm leaving out some important chunk of the equation.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well, this discourse/bike is what I had in mind when I started this thread: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=38272 just a few scant weeks ago.

I reluctantly agreed with bevel when he boldly claimed on page two:

4. There just isn't enough enthusiasm for singles in the US market. Many of us talk the talk but how many of us would really move toward a single ? Sorry, but big horsepower ( see Suzuki GSX-R history) sales trump a very, very sporty lightweight every day of the week.

Then I remembered that KTM's success was built on, and continues with, single-cylinder motorcycles. I also recall BMW's interest in singles as of late, illustrated when they purchased Husqvarna in 2007, and adding a whole line of very cool singles in the same year (or 2006, I forget).

Anyway, currently singles are produced in just about every iteration including: adventure touring, enduro, motorcross, supermoto, (KTM even has subcategories for these last three) standard/commuter, and maybe one or two which I forget (gimme a break, I played the bong in college, okay?). Regardless, why not produce something with radials, clip-ons and a fairing with a stupid power to weight ratio? I think we'll see it soon. I just hope it's a Ducati with the motor design of the Supermono of 1993.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Why would Ducati get down and compete with those bikes ? Suggest that everyone re-read the Strategic Business Plan. ( Ducati.Com) When I read it I don't see anything about wanting to compete with singles from other makes. They have only so much capacity, they have no intention of expanding it, and high profit margin bikes are the rule of the day. With all of that in mind, I am not seeing singles in their future.

KTM and Ducati and BMW have only two wheels in common. They are much larger companies with totally different market ( read product) goals. Everyone here knows the breadth of their product lines.

And as every marketing researcher knows, what people talk, and what they buy are two very different things. You may talk the talk here, but when it comes to most other sport Ducatis smoking you on the straights, I say that you will reconsider and go back to the big twins. Singles among sport bikes are a novelty, not a mainstay product.

Wish it were different, but that's just the way it is. You may tell me otherwise when you see a prototype from Ducati like they did for the MH-900e, the SC, the Desmosedici RR or the HM at the cycle shows. That would change my mind.
Well, this discourse/bike is what I had in mind when I started this thread: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=38272 just a few scant weeks ago.

I reluctantly agreed with bevel when he boldly claimed on page two:

4. There just isn't enough enthusiasm for singles in the US market. Many of us talk the talk but how many of us would really move toward a single ? Sorry, but big horsepower ( see Suzuki GSX-R history) sales trump a very, very sporty lightweight every day of the week.

Then I remembered that KTM's success was built on, and continues with, single-cylinder motorcycles. I also recall BMW's interest in singles as of late, illustrated when they purchased Husqvarna in 2007, and adding a whole line of very cool singles in the same year (or 2006, I forget).

Anyway, currently singles are produced in just about every iteration including: adventure touring, enduro, motorcross, supermoto, (KTM even has subcategories for these last three) standard/commuter, and maybe one or two which I forget (gimme a break, I played the bong in college, okay?). Regardless, why not produce something with radials, clip-ons and a fairing with a stupid power to weight ratio? I think we'll see it soon. I just hope it's a Ducati with the motor design of the Supermono of 1993.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bevel's right. I'm just hoping against hope that the singles thing will catch on with Ducati and their business plan like the anomaly that was the Supermono of 1993.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bevel I agree with you on most everything, but Ducati as of late has had a penchant for doing some small scale production stuff. The tricolor's(i know its just paint and leftover motors but), the RR, even the 1098R is relatively small scale in the engine department. I can envision Ducati producing a limited edition mono once the PS/GT1000's and maybe even the Hypers(i still contend that Supermoto's are just a fad) run their course.

But to add to your argument, many of us say we would love a new supermono. Then when you look at the economics of the decision from a consumer standpoint it becomes a "would you like fry's with that" situation.

Wow I really like the Supermono, but for 3k more I can get twice the motor. Add another 4-5k I get Ohlins and some CF bits.

Most of us agree that we could get away with smaller, but you will have to pry my 1000DS from my cold lifeless hands.

·
Registered
142 Posts
off topic..... but i just realized how rusty my italian is getting. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't care what anyone says. but I think that bike is freak'en cool, and I would love to add a Italian thumper to the stable... as long as it's with in my budget.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I always loved the '93 Supermono so If they build the 549R I'd be in the market for one. I bet it would be a blast to run through the twisties with! But I won't get my hopes up.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Nice to see an old and favorite thread brought back to life. Maybe, just maybe if the D16 project hasn't driven the factory crazy they will consider a limited run of these bikes sometime next year. Love to see a prototype at the Milan show this year, eh ? A nice thousand for the world market, selling at around 25K or so ?

Just for those of us who believe that being single can be oh sooooo much fun !

Maybe even bring back Pierre to give us a fresh face for it. No...no 999 'droid look with bargeboards, but something as elegant as his original design. Aw fuck it. Nothing could be as beautiful as that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I must say that I'm glad this was brought back to life because I missed it the first time around. I think I was on my 10 day vacation and didn't look back far enough when I got back. I really like that thing, looks like it could be lots and lots of fun. I got some twisties just begging for that thing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
HHMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm........

KTM RC4 looks like lotsa fun.....

me wanty, me wanty real bad :D
The RC4 is going to be my next bike.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts