Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Looking for some help, I need to remove the clutch to get to the stator. I kinda know how to take it off but not 100% sure. Any Tips on removing the disc's? Or maybe someone has a guide to do it?
I don't want to strip the flat head bolts or brake them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Bon Vivant
10,846 Posts
You need an impact driver: ARES 70006-3/8-Inch Drive Manual Reversible Impact Driver - Flathead 5/16-Inch, 3/8-Inch, and Phillips 2, 3 Bits Cover Most Common Applications - Disengage Rusted Fasteners or Frozen Bolts - - Amazon.com
Then you will need either a clutch holding tool or a pneumatic impact gun to remove the nut holing the hub and basket, you have to use a sharp chisle to flaten the retaining tab. I believe the hub nut is left-hand thread, (guys please correct me if I'm wrong on that). You do not need to remove the center nut on the pressure plate, it's an adjustment point. The basket could be stuck a little - careful about prying on stuff! Once you get the gear off you will need a puller for the flywheel, an impact gun helps here too...
Good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, the discs come out of their own accord, once you've released the 6 screws, the ones that hold the springs and their cups in the pressure plate. A normal wide bladed screwdriver will do for this - they shouldn't be done up especially tight. Best to undo the screws gradually and diagonally so the spring pressure comes off evenly, but that's just a detail.

The challenge with undoing the clutch nut is locking the hub and the center together. Unless you have a rattle gun, there is ONLY ONE SAFE WAY to do this: use a clutch holding tool. No excuses. This is the one Nigel Lacey sells:

The nut is conventional right hand thread, btw.

After that, as flynbulldog says, you will need a puller to remove the rotor. And NOT just any old puller, but the right one for the job. Again, have a look at Nigel's site, https://www.laceyducati.com/ducati-parts/flywheel-puller-wc-p-468.html?zenid=h6h638kp6r6misdk1qb7lh80m4.

Be aware that even with the correct puller, the rotor can be difficult to remove. It's a taper fit on the shaft and, most like, will not give up easy. Patience is the key. Tighten the puller, tap it with a hammer sharply but lightly on the end, rap the rotor on the side a couple of times - sharply but lightly - and re-tighten the puller. And now walk away ... Go have a beer, a cup of tea, leave it over night, whatever. And repeat.

It will yield, but you cannot hurry it.

·
Bon Vivant
10,846 Posts
Well, the discs come out of their own accord, once you've released the 6 screws, the ones that hold the springs and their cups in the pressure plate. A normal wide bladed screwdriver will do for this - they shouldn't be done up especially tight. Best to undo the screws gradually and diagonally so the spring pressure comes off evenly, but that's just a detail.

The challenge with undoing the clutch nut is locking the hub and the center together. Unless you have a rattle gun, there is ONLY ONE SAFE WAY to do this: use a clutch holding tool. No excuses. This is the one Nigel Lacey sells:

The nut is conventional right hand thread, btw.

After that, as flynbulldog says, you will need a puller to remove the rotor. And NOT just any old puller, but the right one for the job. Again, have a look at Nigel's site, https://www.laceyducati.com/ducati-parts/flywheel-puller-wc-p-468.html?zenid=h6h638kp6r6misdk1qb7lh80m4.

Be aware that even with the correct puller, the rotor can be difficult to remove. It's a taper fit on the shaft and, most like, will not give up easy. Patience is the key. Tighten the puller, tap it with a hammer sharply but lightly on the end, rap the rotor on the side a couple of times - sharply but lightly - and re-tighten the puller. And now walk away ... Go have a beer, a cup of tea, leave it over night, whatever. And repeat.

It will yield, but you cannot hurry it.
I just did this job last week. When I tightened the screw on the flywheel puller I started to worry that things were little too stressed and could cause damage. So I grabbed the impact and one short blast had the flywheel off...

I need to put a regulator on the thing 😯

My engine had been sitting with the side cover off on a dirt floor in a barn for more than 30 years, the clutch spring screws were stuck and I had to use a hammer type impact driver to loosen them.

If you look closely at the pic above you can see the spring clip for the starter shaft wedged up under the stator at the top. Haha I'd bet that's when the motor was retired...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, 30 years sitting on a barn floor would pretty much seize anything up!

Let's hope MmmDonuts engine has been a little better cared for ...:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks all so much for the info. I ordered the clutch tool to help remove the nut.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts