Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Need some advice, I like to remove the right side engine case covers to get powdercored. Is it fairly strait forward to remove or will have problems? Will it go together no problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm doing a custom one off bike and the crome doesn't suit the build. Almost every thing on the motor is getting painted black. I want the covers powdercoated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lmfao. Someone loves chrome... flynbulldog lol. If it doesn't suit the build why do it. Simple as that.
And yes my bike is a one off. Haven't seen one like it on the internet.
If you don't have input to my question don't reply. I never asked for your opinion on my build.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The right side cover contains the oil pump and the bronze bushes for the crankshaft and points drive shaft, so if you are going to have the cover sand blasted, then you will need to protect these from the grit, otherwise pieces of sand will embed themselves in the bronze and act like grinding paste.. Obviously the oil pump must come out and the oilways scrupulously blown clean after the cover is painted, and the engine re-timed afterwards.

The gear selector cover at the back contains some quite complex mechanisms, so if you are not familiar with it you will need to note where the various parts fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Duccout for the info. Protecting area from sand and powdercote is no problem. My powdercoater guy is a pro and knows what needs protected. He's done several cases for me.

I'm upgrading the points so taking them out isn't a problem. What I like to know, when I go to put the right side case back on will it slide back on easy or is there pressure on the shafts?

If I had a decent work shop manual I wouldn't be asking lol.

Thanks for any help,

Cheers

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It is easy to put back on, with no pressure on the shafts, but, it can often be a job to get the oil pump drive tang lined up with the slot in the drive gear. The best bet is to turn the engine until the slot is at 6 o'clock or 3 o'clock, then turn the pump tang to the same position and the cover should slide on, just don't force it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts