Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare 350 engine that I acquired in a purchase of parts to restore my 1969 Mach 3 450 D. I took off the valve covers today, and I found “normal“ valve springs. No mousetrap springs it’s also nice and shiny in there but it gives me pause because I don’t know anything about the conversion.

was this commonly done?

2DDD8B1F-7835-4F26-AE43-348C3F96B76B.jpeg

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
Just so you're not confused its a MARK 3 not a "mach 3" ;) ... Mach 1 and Mark 3...

Yep coil valve springs are pretty common on race engines that the owner plans to spin up over 8k regularly. The hairpins tended to float at prolonged high RPM use so these springs were often used. Not a big deal and I would keep it that way if you plan to ride the bike.

Of course I assume you are not putting this non desmo engine in your 450 desmo bike.

·
Registered
259 Posts
a race modification for sure .

1 of the first conversion that i know of are the Helmut Fath valve springs

this was available in the late 60's

here a picture of a set of Fath springs
Fath valve springs 005.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, the 450 D stays as close to original as I can afford or manage. I ended up with a nice powder coated (non-450) frame and this engine and my mussed up old wheels. I was thinking of throwing together a scrambler/rat bike out of the spare parts. The Mark 3 (damn spell checker!) Desmo head needs repair so I’m just looking around for some fun ( and practice with these singles). The 350 engine “Ran when it came out of the bike”, I’ve heard that before… The only parts I need for 350 scrambler are 31.5 fork legs or complete forks (anything I can match up to the frame headset) and body work (I would like an original scrambler Tank, but I’m not very concerned about the rest of it being original). I’ve got a scrambler air filter side panel, headlight nacelle wheels) so I’m getting there.

I do wonder what the vale clearance on the coil spring conversion should be. But that’s way down the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts