Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by saying that this project has been years in the making and it has only come together by true chance and luck.

My father purchased this motorcycle at a farm auction in lexington nebraska for 250 dollars about thirty years ago,brought it home, and he could just never get the thing to run quite right. So there it sat in the garage where the family dog chewed the footpegs off and that was the end of the story until I came along some years later. I needed a new bed, so my dad traded his cousin in denver the motorcycle for the most horrendous waterbed ever created. My fathers cousin took the bike to the ducati shop there and the mechanics there couldnt get the damn thing to run which really irritated my dads cousin. He was sick of looking at the bike and so he bought it back to me in nebraska when i was about 16 (i had since rid myself of the waterbed). being 16 and really interested in mechanics and motorcycles, i took a great interest in the bike and decided that i was just going to ride the thing regardless of how it ran, and let me say it was a bad idea. The bike would bog waaaay down until it almost died and then suddenly spring to life and set off with a bang and really run pretty well. I then took a serious interest in vintage ducati bikes and established a wealth of knowledge via hours of searching the internet. I had the worst time trying to figure out just what kind of ducati it actually was until one day, by chance, i heard of a local(40 miles away) mechanic that claimed to specialize in old euro bikes. I drove to the small nebraska town of huntley where I found a man named Sam Richman. Sam looked at the bike for about five minutes and he knew pretty much exactly what i had on my hands. The bike was a 350 w/c, with betor forks, a honda rim and drum up front, stock duc break out back and a myriad of other pieced together parts. I asked him to take a look at why it wasnt running correctly and then a few days later, called me and said that the bike was initially set up to run with a battery but a previous owner had set it up, rather unsuccessfully, to run without it. Sam corrected the issues and it was running like a top.

Thats when I became really excited. I used all of my high school graduation money to pile up parts that I would need to turn it into the vintage ducati bike i had always wanted. I found a tank, seat, clip-ons, ect. but then i ran out of money and the bike sat at Sam's shop for about a year.

I really needed a front end for the motorcycle, as i wanted to set it up as a vintage race bike, and i knew where just where i could find one at a very reasonable price. There was a terribly run down moto guzzi t3 at a local bike shop, and my father worked out a deal with the owner and i knew i had a perfect front for the bike.

a few years later and i finally have progress to report!

what i began with

the guzzi

the bike as it looks today being mocked up

there are many many things im forgetting right now but i wanted to post the pics up. feel free to ask any questions

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
basic specs as it sits currently
borrani shouldered rims f&r
dual disc brembo front breaks, stock duc rear
35mm moto guzzi forts and triple trees
tomaselli clip-ons and throttle
gelcoated fiberglass tank and rear fender
the read fender as a really neat built in oil catch from the breather
mikuni carb
unsure of the cam in it i assume its stock
I plan on putting a new cam as well as coil valve springs in it until i can find/afford a desmo head.
unsure what to do about the exhaust.... i like the high pipe and i would like to keep it with a megaphone on it but i would imagine it would get too hot
custom rear sets, i needed the really far back as I am about 6'3
I want to put works ultralight shocks on the thing so i called works and they were unsure if they were still in production?
Im going to see if i can find a guzzi le mans front fender for it, as the one i originally purchased is far too small
Im really going to try to get that motor running like a top, so ill need some advise, although i have a basic idea, as what to do there

its going to be pretty nice, but far from original. its what i want and its going to be an all italian rider and i am really looking forward to its completion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fantastic! I am so jealous. Keep up the great work and please continue to post pics. :D

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A nice story, which I really enjoyed reading. Please keep us informed as things go along. I do have a some reservations concerning the front end though. I believe that your bike will weigh something in the region of 280LBS, but the front wheel assembly will be horrendously heavy for such a light bike and will probably have too much unsprung weight; also, the dual discs will have so much stopping power that they may be dangerous; remember that the brakes came off of a Moto Guzzi weighing almost double the little Duc. Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
+1 on what Duccout said about the front brakes - dual disks are overkill on such a small bike. That said I do have a set of Pantah forks I was thinking of using on my 350 narrowcase project! For the moment though it's goign to get stock frks with an Oldani replica drum up front.

I also wouldn't spend much time/money/effort trying to find a desmo head for it... you can rework the springer head to get the same performance for less money IIRC. I'm not an expert on this stuff but that's what I remember hearing.

Looks like a fun project though. Similar to what I'm doing, but mine hasn't got such a well documented backstory! By the way, do you know about the bevelheads list? It's a mail list of vintage Ducati fans, lots of knowledge there. Check out Micapeak.com for info on how to sign up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the front end on this bike is way overkill i know, and i will most likely unhook one caliper, i just think it looks killer and the price was right at 100 bucks for the whole guzzi. as for the unsprung weight, now that i am unsure of. there was a factory disc option in the early 70s on the mk3, of course it was a single disc but i couldnt imagine a second disc really causing any issues. ive seen many racers use 35mm forks as well, so im hoping all will come together nicely. i would have loved to have a set of ceranis with a grimecca or an oldani drum but i simply couldnt afford it. i considered using a suzuki water buffalo drum but i really wanted to keep the bike all italian in the least.

heres a good shot of the rear fender

top view of the tank

heres the headlight- its an early aprilia and i have no idea what it came off of

heres a shot of about the only duc single i could find running a dual disc front

thanks for the heads up on bevelheads list ill have to check it out

·
Registered
245 Posts
nice to see that people trying to get these puppys on the road again

looks like you got some fiberglass parts from Holland

i build a few single racers myself and a caferacer to
click on my images and you can see my caferacer

i might go back to a smaller front brake a 230 mm four leading Ceriani is
really overkill but i had i lying around so i used it

Regards Eldert

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually i believe those parts did come from holland a few years back, what are their identifying characteristics?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
FWIW I think the brakes on that single you've shown are F05s, which are smaller than the F08s from the Guzzi? The Pantah forks I have use the F05 calipers. One reason I decided against using this fork (there were many reasons) was I had a hard time finding F05 calipers. The F08 parts are much easier to come by, you can still buy them new even. Or could a couple years ago anyway.

As I'm sure you've already found out, those Guzzi disks are HEAVY. Keep in mind the Ducati 750GT twins used one of those in stock form... (Same basic parts)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think they are right, the only way to redeem the project is to sell me the complete Guzzi for the $100 that you bought it for, I will import it to Aus and none of us will ever need to mention it again:p

Seriosly; looking good and look forward to following the rest of your build.

regards
jon

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Another question: what size are the rims and tyres? as far as I'm aware, the largest combination you can get away with on a Duc single is WM2 front and WM3 rear, any larger and the handling will suffer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Smoke'Em; I plan on putting a new cam as well as coil valve springs in it until I can find/afford a desmo head. QUOTE said:
I've been down this road a couple of times with both narrow and wide case. Recommend you save the money and frustration involved with a desmo head and put it into a dry clutch set-up. A big valve springer head will give you the same or better performance with a Megacycle stage 3 cam, is more relaible and more easily replaced if you do over spin and gernade the motor on a missed shift late braking into turn three.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i love the idea of putting coil springs and a higher profile cam in my springer head, i believe that it is a sensible thing to do for easy, reliable performance. i would honestly have no idea how to adjust the valves or anything for that matter on a desmo head. id really love to send the whole motor out to syds and have them massage it over so it really ran well.

i believe both rims are WM2, it just looks rather deceiving as the front tire is fat as hell. as for the calipers, im really not sure what model they are, im assuming theyre the F08 as was mentioned earlier.

what is wrong with the extra rotating mass in the front wheel associated with the extra disc? i guess i mean how would it affect the handling of the bike?
and honestly im not going to be winning any races on the thing, i weigh about 220lbs so this little fella isnt going to be too happy with me as it is. in the racing vein, where would one find an open/dry clutch for this? ive looked but i cant seem to find anything

and as for my guzzi, the builder of the bike took it in as partial payment!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Try Nova Transmissions in the UK or Old Racing Spare Parts in Italy or Vee Two Australia for the dry clutch, but it will be EXPENSIVE.

I'm not a technician, but as I understand it, unsprung weight must be kept to a percentage of the overall weight of the motorcycle, so that a front wheel weighing 50lbs will be acceptable on a 600lb Harley or Gold Wing, but will not work on a tiny sports bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is too things here.

Unsprung weight;
When a wheel goes over a bump it will leave the ground and the spring will push it back onto the ground, the other end of the spring is against the weight of the bike, the spring pushes on both ends with the same force but because the wheel (unsprung weight) is much lighter it reacts quicker and feeds less movement into the front end of the bike(sprung weight).
As the unsprung/sprung weight ratio gets higher the force of the spring has less difference of weight on either end so more movement is fed into the the front end of the bike resulting in a harsher ride and wheel off the ground longer.

Inertia;
Th emore rotating inertia the harder it is to accelerate or stop the wheel, dirrectly effecting performance.

How imporatant this is to you depends on the intended use of the bike.

regards
jon

·
Registered
245 Posts
on the dry clutch subject
for the one Nova racing transmissions sells you need a longer input shaft
and he dont have then in the std ratio so you need to buy a complete
close ratio cluster . the old racing spares ( Mario Sassi ) is very expensive .
VEETWO only has beveltwin dry clutches
the one i have fitted to my caferacer is made by a guy in Forli Italie but the
last i heard he quit making them .

Eldert

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1 on the nice job, but I also agree VERY much the front end is totally gross-

The wheel and forks alone are prob one third the total weight of the bike now? LOL

I built a 350 to race and had NO reservations about a Water Buffalo Hub on the front- its 1972 (period correct) and you can get them cheap as cheap can get.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i love how that suzuki front looks on that bike man that is sweet. what are some other specs on that bike? i may end up going this route later on really, as i do love how drum breaks look.

heres a bike listed currently (3-30-09) on ebay with a dual disc front on it. any idea what it came off of?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-Forza-Ducati-350-Classic-1977_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem110370525472QQitemZ110370525472QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles#ht_500wt_1216

·
Registered
348 Posts
That front end came with that bike on Ebay stock, that is a Moto-trans imitation Ducati single.

REAL Ducati bevel singles ended in 1974, The fakes from Spain was made up to 78 or even titled leftovers into the 80's.

If yer asking my oppinion, steer clear of Made in Spain Moto-trans Ducati.

I cant say it enough-

I know there are guys on here who love them and have them, but you couldn't GIVE me one for free-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts