Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 916 stopped running the other day and restarted after replacing the 3 amp fuse for the voltage regulator. It ran for another five minutes and stalled again. In both cases everything worked with the exception of the sound you hear from the fuel pump when you power up. (Lights, blinkers, etc worked) When I got the bike home I found that the 30 amp fuse next to the battery for the relay to the ignition/injector system was failed, however even after replacing it and when I connected the battery did it then fail again.

Is the problem with the voltage regulator or the relay or both?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:think,The fuse keeps blowing. It can either be a faulty voltage regulator or could it be the relay of the ignition/injector system which sits next to the battery? It's confusing because the bike is over 12 years old with only 3,300 miles. The low milage is the confusing factor as the bike has really been sitting around for over seven years with little riding attention.:think::think:

·
Super Moderator
8,225 Posts
Check your wiring from the stator to the battery.

If you keep blowing fuses, the most logical explanation is that you have a shortcircuit somewhere.

Most probabaly on the feed side.. Check the yellow wires running from the generator to the stator and then all the wires running from the stator to the battery.

//amullo

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Check the connectors for the above mentioned plugs as well. I have seen connectors melt at which point you have power and ground coming into contact with each other in some cases which causes the fuses to blow. IF this happens, replace the plugs with separate connectors for power and ground to isolate them from each other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
916 Electrical PROBLEM

The bike has less than 3,800 miles and hasnot been ridden hard.
Are we considering melted wires from excessive handling or just rotten wires due to age?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
The fact that it is an older superbike makes it more inclined to have electrical issues. The older bikes(2 phase charging system) and sometimes newer ones(3 phase) are known to have issues such as this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts