Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a ducati 1098s. I was wondering about buying another ducati, a 916. It's year is 1996 and i was wondering if they are still a good bike? Any ideas to improve the ride as i never owned one.
Thank you, Kevin :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
i've got a 96 and love it, i've had to replace an oil pressure switch, the replacement is an upgraded switch so should be a problem again.

top water tank sprang a leak, you might want to change this before it blows, it could be a problem it went a long way from home. it's a good excuse to change the coolant anyway. or have it done with the service.

clutch slave cylinder are prone to blowing seals, there's plenty of after market replacement cylinders around, i took mine to a brake shop and had a stainless steel sleeve put in and a better seal out of a mini.

probably the first handling upgrade is have the sag set, if you've still got the original springs you'll have to wind in maximum preload on the rear and minimum on the front to get it close to right, the original springs need to be replaced, rear is too light and front too heavy. contact Jason at
[email protected]
http://www.departmentofsuspension.com/info/
he's doing a rear shock refurb and replacement spring kit for me for a very reasonable price

then take it for a ride and see what you think, it's hard to recommend too much without your impressions, some people like the stable steering others want it to steer faster and give up some stability

there are thousands of performance upgrades available, you can replace virtually every part on the bike. before you jump into anything though read all of shazaam's posts in the hall of wisdom, most mods have a downside and some are detrimental.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/search.php?searchid=1257045

here's a picture of mine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Research the rockers. Any record of them being checked? Not that it will kill the deal, its just a gremlin to consider. However, if the rockers were never changed out and were allowed to flake, this could damage the cams. That would be another matter.

Electrical components of the older single phase SBKs were weak. Its just a matter of time before the regulator/rectifier blows: signs of this would be a flickering generator light. The wiring used back then were under gauged, you will want to upgrade to 10 gauge with the wiring that runs from the connectors above the rectifier to the left side casing. There is an upgrade kit you can buy through Motowheels, but it doesn't include the above 10G.

There is a number of other issues associated with the 916. I believe this was addressed in a thread in the Halls of Wisdom. Please check it out and good luck with the bike, the 916 is awesome.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had a 916 from new and had to replace a couple of rockers for the case hardening. I also replaced the regulator/rectifier before I had any problems. The associated problems with the wiring was solved by re-routing the regulator wiring up higher away from the engine. The clutch slave was replaced with a vee two item. I have it on the steep steeing and re-padded the seat for long trips. The detail in these bikes is great.They have the best full fairing ever. The finish has well and truly stood the test of time and my bike still looks great. Get one!

·
Flying Brit
1,793 Posts
From what I understand is that the early 95-96 916 were better built and were not typically prone to rocker flaking as were seen in the later models. 95and 96 are much more sort after...I still have fun on mine!

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
From what I understand is that the early 95-96 916 were better built and were not typically prone to rocker flaking as were seen in the later models. 95and 96 are much more sort after...I still have fun on mine!
True, TPG (new Ducati owners)started to sublet the rocker work out to an inferior vendor during I believe the second quarter of 96. Its safe to say the 95s and early 96 916s had the good rockers and for sure the 95 models. Rare is the case of a rocker flaking on the 95 bikes, but never say never. My rockers looked good at the 6K inspection. It would be good to know exactly when the change took place in 96, maybe by virtue of a tell tail VIN. It would certainly influence what year 916 I would be interested in.

I spent a lot of time and money on my 916, I said many times I would never sell it, but I did. I was really proud of the upgrades over a 4 year period. You never know, maybe some day and I hope that day will bring another 916 into the garage.

Heres a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is a few weeks old but John you had a gorgeous 916... I hope mine looks like the work of art that yours did someday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts