Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, cruising Craigs List. Chantilly VA listing, about 95 miles away. 2001 ST4.

It was red. It caught my eye. Fellow had a pic that also showed a For Sale sign for his house. Hmmm.

Several text msgs. A visit to the bank and Auto Zone to get some straps (couldn't find mine.) It was a beautiful ride through MD and VA. Yes traffic abounded, but what's new in NoVA (Northern Virginia, the occupied territory!! :surprise:)

I arrived, he was late. Bike had some plastic challenges. New battery and the charger came with it too. Let me see, how many do I have? Five, seven? Forget.

He said it needed a new starter. I have one on my bench at home. But he hit the button and it engaged, but was very, very slow. That told me new cables or new solenoid was needed. Big bonus was the sprag gear wasn't skipping at all.

Well we pushed started it. Sprang to life and sounded very good through the GPR cans. VERY GOOD. I rode it up and down the street. All worked well (clutch, brakes, and ?)

It did seem to turn in much more quickly than my other bikes. It turned in and took a set. To get out of the turn it took a bit of positive effort. Equal for both directions. Very distracting - not what I'm used to. Maybe the height adjuster rod was too high or? No biggie.

Well, it was a 2001. 23k miles. No bags. No dents. Lower fairing, left and right had cracks. The title showed he had it for about four years.

Good side: aftermarket smoked screen (forget the brand), new GPR cans, new (yep new) chain and sprockets, fresh oil change of about 50 miles. Also new battery. Unknown whether it is gel or liquid. Forgot to ask. I hate liquid batteries.

Down side: last service was four years ago. Clearly this is a winter project needing belts and valve check. Possibly rear shock (Sachs ugh), fork rebuild and new springs for my weight. New tires required too.

He said he wanted to have it gone as he was moving. He started at $1500. Well, my quote to him was: "You want $1500, I'll offer $1300 and you say?" Yep. He said the magic words of "$1400" and deal made. Good deal for an operating ST4 in good shape. Yes minor project issues. But I've done them before.

It is still on back of my truck!

STeve

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I figured between the cans, battery, chain and sprockets, it probably equaled what I paid for the entire motorcycle!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Very nice snag. I was thinking $3k asking price when I was reading your description. Half that is a great deal. Well done. Good luck with any corrections you make.

r-

Tom C.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know why the pic disappeared. Here it is again

Attachments

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Great score! I have a similar story, where the seller didn't want me to leave. He slashed the price, and the 900 SS/CR came home with us in the back of a Toyota Sienna (mini van). Two tries to get it up the ramp. Second try I went WAY to the right, tipped the bike at about a 45 deg. angle to the left for the windshield to clear, and then upright again once windshield cleared. Have photos to prove it!

Found them... and the rear tailgate closed and latched!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts