Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen the tricolor on ebay for 29K.

any thoughts on it?

Seems cheap to me, but you know what they say about too good to be true.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts

any thoughts on it?

You could well be up for a service, it needed belts at 2 years so April 2009 would have been due for this. Seller does not say if this has been done. Just a question to ask if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
$29K isn't cheap. I reckon $25k would be cheap. I think that bike has been on ebay for at least one month.

·
Registered
2016 1299 Pani, 2009 SF1100, 2012 MTS1100evo, 2006 999,
132 Posts

any thoughts on it?

I've been looking at 1098's on the web for about 6 months now. Saw a Tricolour go on ebay for 26k with less than a thousand k's, and a 2008 1098r with 1200 k's go for 35k. The bargains are out there, you just need to be ready to jump when the right one comes along. 29,000 for a tri is a fair price, but definately not a "good" price. The majority of 1098's on the market at the moment are owned by the "allways wanted a Ducati, now I need to sell it to buy a house" people. Ask them about belts, oil changes, special tools for chain tension etc. and they don't have a clue. Then there's the other guys who fit race skins and 70mm exhaust, fang the shit out of it all racing season, put the brand new fairing back on, and flog the bike off as a low 5000km, like new bike.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've been looking at 1098's on the web for about 6 months now. Saw a Tricolour go on ebay for 26k with less than a thousand k's, and a 2008 1098r with 1200 k's go for 35k. The bargains are out there, you just need to be ready to jump when the right one comes along. 29,000 for a tri is a fair price, but definately not a "good" price. The majority of 1098's on the market at the moment are owned by the "allways wanted a Ducati, now I need to sell it to buy a house" people. Ask them about belts, oil changes, special tools for chain tension etc. and they don't have a clue. Then there's the other guys who fit race skins and 70mm exhaust, fang the shit out of it all racing season, put the brand new fairing back on, and flog the bike off as a low 5000km, like new bike.

Just like your "bargain" 1098R as it was a ex race bike with 1200 track k's.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You could well be up for a service, it needed belts at 2 years so April 2009 would have been due for this. Seller does not say if this has been done. Just a question to ask if you are interested.

So if it needs belts big deal any second hand bike should be serviced for piece of mind you should factor that in to your costs of buying a bike.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
So if it needs belts big deal any second hand bike should be serviced for piece of mind you should factor that in to your costs of buying a bike.
I reckon if you buy a secondhand bike it should be serviced - then you have peace of mind (as you say) and a starting base to go on with. But not everyone thinks like that, or factors it in.

·
Registered
2016 1299 Pani, 2009 SF1100, 2012 MTS1100evo, 2006 999,
132 Posts
Just like your "bargain" 1098R as it was a ex race bike with 1200 track k's.
Yeah, that's right.....The question is, would you take the gamble. (If you had a lazy 35k in your bank account)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bike started off at 32k. The price is slowly dropping as the owner obviously wants to get as much for it as he can. Ring the guy up & have a chat to him, if you are still interested go & have a look at it.You should be able to get a gut feeling as to weather the guy is genuine or not. Look all over the bike, if it has new tyres fitted ask him why.
Ask to see his service book, to see if it has been serviced. Ask him if he would mind if you had the bike checked out at a dealer. You could go to the dealer he bought it from & if he has had any problems with it. You are looking at spending a lot of money so it is up to you to do your homework, I would be getting the belts changed if they have not been done already & have it serviced for piece of mind. The tricolore was a limited import & around 38k new so i don't think too many owners would have been flogging them.Just my 2cents worth. One sold up my way with 1,200ks for $25,750 recently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts