Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guys, thought I better try and figure out how to put up some pics of our 1098R that we race all over Australia up.This bike is unbelievable. We are a ducati dealer in Bunbury Western Australia and have been drag racing ducatis for about 5 or more years I suppose.Before the R we raced a 1098 but now this is our #1 fighter.
I carefully pulled it out of the crate and gave it a good checkover and then it was onto our Dyno to be run in properly.After a few hours and a few oil changes, the time had come to see what the dyno numbers would be.
In absoloutly STD condition it made 171BHP. This was 5 more than our kited out 1098 from last season.
Then the suplied muffler kit was next 179BHP.
Off to the drags and gee that bike looked great all lowered down. Criminal thing to do to one of the best handling bikes on the planet.
9.74 seconds 147mph was the best time in this state of tune.
Time for 70mm termi headers,Wasp race intake Tracts and a Powercommander,
twin cyl tune and the number was incredible........190 Bee Haitch Peeee.
Back to the best power tuning tool of all time, the dragstrip.
We have now acheived a best ET of 9.60 155MPH.
Out of 40 bikes in our class we are probably 12 fastest time wise, but are
2nd or 3rd fastest in the MPH department. Nothing will pass this bike up the topend of the track.
Next on the cards are a pair of prototype WASP Billet Alloy Velocity Stacks that are similar to the ducati performance ones.They will be alot more affordable, and the dyno and race track will soon tell us what BHP they are good for.
Thanks Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts

Hi guys, thought I better try and figure out how to put up some pics of our 1098R that we race all over Australia up.This bike is unbelievable. We are a ducati dealer in Bunbury Western Australia and have been drag racing ducatis for about 5 or more years I suppose.Before the R we raced a 1098 but now this is our #1 fighter.
I carefully pulled it out of the crate and gave it a good checkover and then it was onto our Dyno to be run in properly.After a few hours and a few oil changes, the time had come to see what the dyno numbers would be.
In absoloutly STD condition it made 171BHP. This was 5 more than our kited out 1098 from last season.
Then the suplied muffler kit was next 179BHP.
Off to the drags and gee that bike looked great all lowered down. Criminal thing to do to one of the best handling bikes on the planet.
9.74 seconds 147mph was the best time in this state of tune.
Time for 70mm termi headers,Wasp race intake Tracts and a Powercommander,
twin cyl tune and the number was incredible........190 Bee Haitch Peeee.
Back to the best power tuning tool of all time, the dragstrip.
We have now acheived a best ET of 9.60 155MPH.
Out of 40 bikes in our class we are probably 12 fastest time wise, but are
2nd or 3rd fastest in the MPH department. Nothing will pass this bike up the topend of the track.
Next on the cards are a pair of prototype WASP Billet Alloy Velocity Stacks that are similar to the ducati performance ones.They will be alot more affordable, and the dyno and race track will soon tell us what BHP they are good for.
Thanks Todd

I have many question but the one tha keeps bugging me is "WHY"??? Buy a bike that is made for that..unless you think that a hayabusa with the same mods as your "R" could not hang.

·
comrade moderator
27,159 Posts
Because he can...because it's cool...because people march to the beat of different drummers...because, Mr. Duc, if you can't say anything nice...

Nice work!! That is one wikkid fast Duc!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have many question but the one tha keeps bugging me is "WHY"??? Buy a bike that is made for that..unless you think that a hayabusa with the same mods as your "R" could not hang.
I, and i'm shure many others, struggle to understand your question Mr_Duc.
Have a look at the drags one day and you will see that just about every manufacturer, model, and capacity is represented for no other reason than to see how fast their bike will go compared to others.
Apart from that, nothing will give you development feedback like the drag strip....

This bike by the way, goes from quarter mile drag racer to weekend knee dragger with the release of two suspension tie-down straps.
It's not a dedicated drag machine and infact gets alot more kms clocked up on normal weekend street riding.

Besides... Ever seen a Bussa with an arse-end this pretty:D

Because he can...because it's cool
Correction..... Because it's "VERY" COOL :cool:

Thanks Todd
Ready to go on the dyno and then on the real (1/4 mile) test bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

ABSOLUTELY BAD ASSED!!!!! This thread would totally shut up my punkass inline-4 buddies. Ride safe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
agree to disagree....... how long does that dry clutch hold up?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bad ass!!

I too am wondering how long your clutch lasts? I recently took my monster to the drag strip test and tune and my 2500 mile old clutch gave up the ghost after my 10th run or so. I think it over heated next time I'm definitely taking the cover off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is the coolest picture of a 1098 I think I have seen! The exhaust looks awesome. If I could get a sound clip of it going down the track, that would be great. I could put it on my ipod and have something that I would never get tired of listing too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wow! That 70mm pipe looks ridiculously huge hanging down low like that at the collector! I agree with everybody else and want to hear that bad boy roar. Got any video of you tearing down the strip on it? Or even the 1098 you said you were running last year.....awesome stuff!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
agree to disagree....... how long does that dry clutch hold up?
Probably about as many hours as a set of race tires does in a roadrace. And the clutch plates are faster/cheaper to replace.

In any case, would I do it? No. (Well, maybe... with some Ducati, but not with a 10908R)

Does it make me smile? Hell yes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow! That 70mm pipe looks ridiculously huge hanging down low like that at the collector! I agree with everybody else and want to hear that bad boy roar. Got any video of you tearing down the strip on it? Or even the 1098 you said you were running last year.....awesome stuff!
+1 Would love to see a video!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad ass!!

I too am wondering how long your clutch lasts? I recently took my monster to the drag strip test and tune and my 2500 mile old clutch gave up the ghost after my 10th run or so. I think it over heated next time I'm definitely taking the cover off.
The original slipper clutch was removed at birth and replaced with a standard 1098 unit.The plates are sintered metal ones that give no trouble at all.
The bike has so much power that you need to launch it from low rpm and get the lever out asap.( about 15 foot).
You then just use the throttle to control the hight of the front wheel.When it comes up too high and you are loosing accelleration, pull the gear lever and it electric shifter instantly gives another gear.The wheel doesn't touch the track.Pull the throttle on some more.
I have taken off and had the wheel not touch the track untill yhe end of 3rd and the front wheel has only been 6 inches of the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
ive been avoiding this thread becasue i thought why would you want to do that.....but deff cool and you can deff drag race a bike... strong work, keep flying the ducati flag proud!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
G'Day Todd that is totally sick. And anybody wondering needs to wonder about whether it takes more than just horsepower to ride a motorbike from standstill to 155mph in 400 metres.

Glad the meagre profits from my Duck purchase are being put to good use.

Is that you on the bike in shots or Wayne? Enjoyed hearing Wayne's tale yesterday about touring on the 1098R.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Well, for one, it is very cool.

Ducati's are not known for out right high speed, like the liter bikes of today. That all changed with the 1098, and subsequently 1198.

147 mph is huge. 1st Gen Busa's are about 141-143. Today's liter bikes are upper 140's.

155 mph is massive! That's Hayabusa with a small shot of nitrous territory!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The answer to the ""WHY" is just "BECAUSE".

The look of that 1098R just stops people in their tracks as they walk by. No one stops to look at the average busa

Also the bussa /1000cc owners may see it in the pits then keep an eye on it in the racing, just expecting it to be all show and no go. It has defininatly got the power,weight and aerodynamics to match a bike like most bussa's.
Just is a hell of alot harder to keep the thing from wheelstanding.

This 1098R at present inreal race trim weights 181kg and on our dyno has 190 BHP.......The 08 Bussa with brock full system,K&N,PC3 tuned,etc makes 203-204BHP on our dyno but weights as much as a elephant.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts