Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ducati riders,

I am Rohan from Vintage Auto World.

Due to the problem with fuel in several countries, many Ducati motorcycle riders are suffering from tank spreading. We came up with the idea to manufacture Ducati fuel tanks in aluminum (1098 as it fits many other models) to avoid this problem and aluminum tanks at the same time are much lighter than the original plastic tanks which will help the bike to perform better.

The reason I have posted this on the forum is that the production tooling cost is very high and we are trying to find out how soon can we sell 100-110 tanks as it'll cover our production cost. Each tank will cost between 900 and 1000 or maybe less. Do you thin is is viable to put in the money in this project? I would be very happy to know what you think so that we can take a decision.

We are already hand fabricating 130 different fuel tank (difficult, time consuming and expensive if we make 1098 tanks by hands) for vintage & classic British, American, German, Italian and Custom motorcycles in sheetmetal, aluminum, brass, fiberglass and we are setting up for copper, stainless steel and carbon fiber body parts.

I would be happy to know your thoughts.

Thanks and Regards
Rohan
Vintage Auto World

·
Banned
523 Posts
900-1000 what? $$? The more you make, the cheaper they will get. Make 1000, or 5000 and the cost/unit will decrease even further. Do you have set design, manufacturing and quality processes? Or is this just some odd job that a few guys will do in a garage? How do you guarantee quality work and consistency in your product?

It's a good idea but it sounds too sketchy to me...not surprised that it's from India. There already are aluminum tanks for 1098/1198 out there. Sort of expensive but they are good quality. Also, the demand for this will decrease, since the issue with expanding tanks is not that big of a deal (if it happesn, Ducati will replace it), and with the release of the 1199 Panigale, Ducati has moved on to aluminum tanks, so there will be less and less plastic tanks out on the roads.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thank you for your reply.

Right, 900 to 1000 US dollars. Ofcourse it will be cheaper if we make more but what I am worried about is sales. eg. If we make 1000 of them and are able to sell only 100 or 200, balance tanks left will be a waste and we end up losing a lot of money.

Pressed tanks will be perfect from shape (consistent), all our tanks are TIG welded and then pressure tested to 150 psi to check if there is any leak. All tank will then be checked on an original frame to ensure fitting. Our hand formed tanks are very high quality and I know we can provide 99.9% same quality as the original ones.

Do you think we can sell a good number of these? Ofcourse, a high quality product.

Expanding tank issue is a problem with most of the problems and Ducati has not provided a solution yet. We'll be hand forming Ducati Sport Classic tanks in a short period (Later - Paul smart, GT100, Monster, S2R, Multistrada etc.). You can read more about our tanks in the other thread. Here is the link:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/127425-aluminium-tanks-india-35.html

Thanks for your time. I am still trying to find out if we can sell atleast 100 tanks?

Regards
Rohan

·
Banned
523 Posts
I see. Well if your tanks will be of good quality like you say, then the only thing left to determine whether you'll be able to sell a lot will be advertising. You can make a good product but if people don't know about it, you'll have a hard time selling. You definitely came to the right place by posting this on this forum. You may also want to try some of the other Ducati forums (though this is the largest one, there are others out there).

Personally I would probably buy an aluminum tank for my 1198 if it was around $800 or less, but ONLY if I run into the same issue with my plastic tank as others have. As long as my tank is fine, I wouldn't consider buying one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Rohan,

I think it's a great idea. Plenty of chatter on the plastic tanks recently.

You should consider putting up a banner or poster at the track days that are organized nationally. Most people that race/track Ducatis are always looking for track plastics or spare body parts and $900-1000 sounds like a fantastic price point for a well-made aluminum tank. I suggest contacting STAR motorcycle school, Penguin or one of the other "big name" track schools to get the word out during track days. You may have to send them a sample or two in different colors to put on display during track days.

Oh, color matching is crucial. Goes without saying.

Good luck my friend!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it's a great idea and at that price point I would most likely buy one IF it's made with quality....it would have to accept the original gas cap and a small increase in size would be a plus. I have recently been burn with a far away purchase....so you would have to prove the quality before Ipurchase one!

I know for a fact that I will eventually buy and aluminum or ?? after market tank ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see. Well if your tanks will be of good quality like you say, then the only thing left to determine whether you'll be able to sell a lot will be advertising. You can make a good product but if people don't know about it, you'll have a hard time selling. You definitely came to the right place by posting this on this forum. You may also want to try some of the other Ducati forums (though this is the largest one, there are others out there).

Personally I would probably buy an aluminum tank for my 1198 if it was around $800 or less, but ONLY if I run into the same issue with my plastic tank as others have. As long as my tank is fine, I wouldn't consider buying one.

Tanks will be perfect. You do not have to worry about that. We will send one tank to approve once it is ready but before we move into production, we will need to know how many of them we can sell. Advertising is the main factor but are there many people "in your opinion" willing to change their plastic tanks to aluminum ones if they get them at 900?

Rohan,

I think it's a great idea. Plenty of chatter on the plastic tanks recently.

You should consider putting up a banner or poster at the track days that are organized nationally. Most people that race/track Ducatis are always looking for track plastics or spare body parts and $900-1000 sounds like a fantastic price point for a well-made aluminum tank. I suggest contacting STAR motorcycle school, Penguin or one of the other "big name" track schools to get the word out during track days. You may have to send them a sample or two in different colors to put on display during track days.

Oh, color matching is crucial. Goes without saying.

Good luck my friend!

Thank you for the feedback :)

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, I am located in India but I can ask my friends in the states to help me out with placing the banners and I am glad to hear that 900 - 1000 sounds good to you.

I'll contact them. Sample is not a problem. We'll send some tanks for approval and quality check.

Many people like bare polished / brushed finish so we can offer paintjob as optional.

Many Thanks for your help buddy :) Thank you.

I think it's a great idea and at that price point I would most likely buy one IF it's made with quality....it would have to accept the original gas cap and a small increase in size would be a plus. I have recently been burn with a far away purchase....so you would have to prove the quality before Ipurchase one!

I know for a fact that I will eventually buy and aluminum or ?? after market tank ;)

Thank you Dansy! Another great help :)

Quality will be perfect, will fit stock parts and can be made with a slightly larger capacity. You do not have to worry about that, we will sell them through Ducati parts distributors in the US and you can have a look at them before you purchase.

Looking forward to working on them soon :)

Thank you.

soo....5 months later he's basically asking the same thing again?? is that what I'm getting out of this? I didn't read through that whole thread since it has over 400 posts

There's been a lot of progress in 5 months. Please read from page 35.

Thank you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi there Purirhn, slightly off topic, but did i read somewhere else that you were looking for a NCR style tank like on the Mike Hailwood bike to copy in Aluminum. If so i might be able to help as i have one in fibreglass that i used to make a mould off. If you are interested let me know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there Purirhn, slightly off topic, but did i read somewhere else that you were looking for a NCR style tank like on the Mike Hailwood bike to copy in Aluminum. If so i might be able to help as i have one in fibreglass that i used to make a mould off. If you are interested let me know.

Hello Cyclops, You are right. We already found a Ducati Elite and RT450 through Ducati MS members. We now have 3 different types of Ducati gas tanks and looking to increase our inventory and make a full range. I'd be glad if you could help us with the NCR tank.

If you are willing to send us the NCR tank, you can send it to my partner in California and he'll forward it to us in Delhi, INDIA.

Regards
Rohan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you Dansy! Another great help :)

Quality will be perfect, will fit stock parts and can be made with a slightly larger capacity. You do not have to worry about that, we will sell them through Ducati parts distributors in the US and you can have a look at them before you purchase.

Looking forward to working on them soon :)

Thank you.

There's been a lot of progress in 5 months. Please read from page 35.

Thank you.
OK read the full tread...interesting, I would surely get one on my bike.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd be highly interested, im not interested in ANOTHER plastic tank that will warp again.

I just noticed some serious warping on my tank and my bikes 1 year old, and i've used star tron until I found E free fuel locally.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be highly interested, im not interested in ANOTHER plastic tank that will warp again.

I just noticed some serious warping on my tank and my bikes 1 year old, and i've used star tron until I found E free fuel locally.

Thank you :) We are expecting more people so that we can think of going into production.

Tank warping on just 1 year old bike? This is something not good for Ducati's reputation.

OK read the full tread...interesting, I would surely get one on my bike.
Thanks for going through the thread. :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Any plans to make a replacement for the new 696/796/1100 monsters? Since the tank is covered with plastics, the appearance can be much less perfect.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any plans to make a replacement for the new 696/796/1100 monsters? Since the tank is covered with plastics, the appearance can be much less perfect.

Hi, we are awaiting delivery of the original sample Monster tank so that we can start working on them. This may take some time.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm in for a paintable version with a 1198 SP type racing stripe left brushed. I have a ducati replacement tank already and it has warped after 3 mos. using startron and venting. I'm done with their crap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, we are awaiting delivery of the original sample Monster tank so that we can start working on them. This may take some time.
Looking at that last post.....I'm thinking...

Realistically speaking when do you think that you will be in position to offer the tank for 1098/1198/848 series (all the same)?

And it's possibly a huge market, time will be of the essence.....:D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts