Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
started work on the seat base. I have cut it to shape and added the Rivinuts to hold it on. I have used aluminum ones as these are much easier to pull in with a nut and bolt if you don’t have the special tool to draw them in…

Also a picture of how its looking... I know this build will finish well before Spring next years so I have bought another project to see me through the dark months of winter... watch this space!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Still in the middle of a build of a multistrada special when a bike i have always wanted came up at a bargain price… an early Ducati Monster. With the prospect of limited going out and no holidays due to Corvid, and the fact the current build will be finished before winter, I decided to buy it! here it is… It's a bit tatty, but it runs well and sounds sweet. Ripe for restoration its going to the back of the garage for a while… this will be a straight restoration though, probably red as I like red monsters!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On the last couple of builds where I have converted from EFI to carbs I have used an Ignitech ignition unit that utilised the original induction sensor. While the bikes ran OK, I had to make adjustments in the software to compensate for the fact that the values in the software differed from what was actually happening on the bike, plus the tick over was not as steady as I would have liked… This irritated me, and Ignitech themselves refused to answer emails for advice… so I investigated a hall effect setup.

I read about it on the fastbikegear website (Liam has been VERY helpful) and decided to give it a go… The sensors are tiny, and sense two small magnets in the cam wheel through a couple of 3mm holes in the alloy plate. South Pole switches it on, north off, so it’s important to get them the right way round, hence the magnet and phone! Here is how I made it, took a while! The values in the software now match the actual advance when checked with a strobe, and the tick over is rock solid! I have shown it here on the 996 engine as that bike is on the road…






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well its running really well now, and its got a very stable tickover... dry clutch always sounds like a bag of spanners through!

here is a short video...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Now for the part I actually enjoy doing… the wiring! I am building this loom completely from scratch, save for things like the handlebar switches, although I am replacing the outer sheathing as it was tatty. I know this is something a lot of people struggle with but over the years I have developed a system… I start with a design in my head and I put it down in rough on my Ipad, using an Ipencil which I find brilliant. then I transfer it to visio, which I print out and add the colour of wires on as I go along. I don’t try to it all on one diagram like in workshop manuals, but keep separate pages for different circuits like lights, indicators, ignition… I also create tables of key components where they have pin outs.

All this is put into the build folder which I always pass on when I sell the bikes.

I have a nice crimp tool which is normally sufficient, but if I am in any doubt I put a dab of solder on the joint. I also don’t use pre insulate connectors, instead I put 20mm of heat shrink on which makes a nice joint, and the heat shrink also supports the joint. If you use the glue lined heat shrink, it also makes the joint waterproof. this is of course if I am not using super seal connectors which are not only excellent, but also cheap! and finally, I use the most useful little kit, which has tools for removing all types of pins from connectors!







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Run out of a few wire connectors so moved onto the cam belt covers till they come… I made some of these a few years ago and they worked well… but this time I have made the holes oval and I think they look better. used a hole saw to cut the circles, and a saw in the dremel to cut the straight bits. just got to carbon dip them now and make the polycarbonate windows…

Also mounted the plate that holds the hall sensors



 
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Top