Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 2020. I normally build bikes over the winter months... but with Corvid -19 we are not going on any holidays or getting out much so my wife suggested I start my winter project early! I think she prefers me in the garage!

I bought this bike a few years ago... and over the winter 2018/19 I built it into this you see below... over the summer of 2019 I put quite a few miles on it... and actually loved the bike! it feels light and nimble, handles and brakes really well! I normally sell my bikes on, but this time I decided to keep it. A couple of things bugged me though... The tank I used was a compromise, it looks wrong to me, and although the carb conversion worked well... I felt the Monster 38mm Mikuni CV carbs held it back performance wise.

So its in for another rebuild/refresh... cosmetic only as I did the engine last time, and that is running well. I will be fitting some 41mm FCR carbs, a new tank (999) and making a new seat. And maybe change the exhaust...

this build will take some time... but I guess that depends on how corvid 19 affects daily life!

Here are a few pictures from the first rebuild...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like that, looks like one could do some miles on this build.
Love the pic with engine, carb and exhaus

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next the messy job of making a seat, well I actually made two as I couldn’t decide on shape! Its the one thing many people ask how I do it, so I have written a tutorial on it rather than post all of it here.

here is the link to my blog page

Tank and seat manufacture

So just a few pictures…

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Great job on the build. Your link to the tutorial on making tanks and seat pans is really well made. Thank you for sharing. 1 question on your glass tanks, what do you coat the inside with to prevent gasoline from attacking the resin over time?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I really love the "V" shape of the new fuel tank you're mounting. Looking down at it .. "top view" or rider's point of view that tank reminds me of the Gibson Flying V guitar (V as in the letter V) and it's many variants. I always call that tank the Flying V in my mind. I bought a junker tank (same model) that I intended to use for doing mockups on a "Pierre SS" frame. Nice tank on any bike, really.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great job on the build. Your link to the tutorial on making tanks and seat pans is really well made. Thank you for sharing. 1 question on your glass tanks, what do you coat the inside with to prevent gasoline from attacking the resin over time?
what a can of worms you have opened! I will be honest and say that I hate any tank liner with a passion! for over 40 years I have repaired fuel tanks, cars and bikes, and have NEVER seen a liner work for more than a couple of years... then you are in trouble. People who say they can line a tank are usually trying to sell you a service or a product... longer term the liners fail. I used to refuse to tackle any repair on a steel or alloy tank that had been linered... but then I found a company that stripped the paint off car body shells in a BIG oven with heat. I used to get them to pop a tank in with a car, and when it came out you could shake the liner out as it was now dust.I would then properly weld it with gas or TIG. you will be amazed what you can actually repair...

With the advent of ethanol in fuel, plastic tanks are proving to be a real problem (really modern bikes are OK as they have a new plastic, but you can't paint it, hence many bikes have over covers) just look at the issues Ducati and other manufacturers have with tank swelling! I had a Multistrada for a while, and the tank on that had badley swelled to the point where it was impossible to remove it without bending it! So fiberglass tanks are a no no these day as the ethanol just eats it, and it's only going to get worse as we move from the current 5% to 10% soon.

So the glass tanks I have made are in effect covers, I use an alloy tank underneath! here is the one I made for a Suzuki Cafe Racer

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
There and I thought somebody had found the magic bullet for lining tanks. I would always prefer to have an aluminum tank, but the amount of hours it would take to make a tank like a multistrada is astonishing. Good idea to just make glass covers. Very nice work. Much respect 👍

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Not to take anything away from the O.P. but the first thing I thought was a Yamaha TRX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts