Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I still owe you that video... I'll make it worth the wait!
did you fabricate the tail unit, or was it brought already made, as you can buy these 70s spirit seats already made, i saw it on a thread here before, if not who do you recommend in Melbourne that can fabricate tail units for the sport classic as i would like to change my oem tail unit, for a much older style look like the 750ss.

Do you know any good painters in Melbourne also i can talk to if i would like to custom colour a tank?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hi Café,

The tail was from Richard Diopa in Germany. There was also the aluminum Imola seat that was produced with the Italian tanks. I have one I listed for sale in Australia last year, but it didn't garner much interest then.

I was very happy to catch up on the news that Spirit of the Seventies will be in full blown production on a seat, and that there may be light at the end of the long dark star.ace tunnel. Tail units for all!

In terms of painters, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Andrew Price (0407 049 767), the only person I've seen truly match the Ducati burnt orange. He put a dot of the matched paint on my tank and challenged me to find it, I couldn't. He's also a top bloke.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Café,

The tail was from Richard Diopa in Germany. There was also the aluminum Imola seat that was produced with the Italian tanks. I have one I listed for sale in Australia last year, but it didn't garner much interest then.

I was very happy to catch up on the news that Spirit of the Seventies will be in full blown production on a seat, and that there may be light at the end of the long dark star.ace tunnel. Tail units for all!

In terms of painters, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Andrew Price (0407 049 767), the only person I've seen truly match the Ducati burnt orange. He put a dot of the matched paint on my tank and challenged me to find it, I couldn't. He's also a top bloke.
Hey Lascivus, Andrew price, does he have a shop in Melbourne I can visit him in person? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hey Café, he has a workshop in Burwood, in the east of Melbourne. I tried to PM you but the mobile app seems to have a bug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lascivus,

What part did you use to bring the oil cooler line in front of the belts to the other side? It seems as if the Ducati Hyperstrada oil cooler line works perfectly, but wanted to look into all options (maybe oil cooler lines from other Ducati models, etc.)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Lascivus,

What part did you use to bring the oil cooler line in front of the belts to the other side? It seems as if the Ducati Hyperstrada oil cooler line works perfectly, but wanted to look into all options (maybe oil cooler lines from other Ducati models, etc.)
As you suspect, pillaged from a hypermotard, and I didn't really explore other models or aftermarket options. I know JC sells some nice carbon ones. Here's the thread on replacement oil lines:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/111465-hypermotard-oil-line-installed.html#/forumsite/3254/topics/111465

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Finally had the chance to get some better photos done, courtesy of Tangcla.

Ducati Sport Classic - tangcla photography | Melbourne, AU
Love that headlight bucket with speedo in it. Harkens back to the old school cafe spirit! What does that dial do? I can't quite see the letters, but does it dial different light output strength? Go figure! Custom made or commercially available? Thinking of similar at benjiecaferacer.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Hey Sun,

The headlight is a 1930s (if memory serves) Lucas model. It looked pretty shabby when I found it, but I didn't see any bare metal, only multiple layers of different paint. Once stripped it looked brand new. The lens and reflector are original. They open using a sprung latch underneath, a beautiful design.

Correct on the Bakelite switch, it was originally hooked up to the light (Off/L/H), but I've left the beam switch on the bars. The voltmeter originally sat where the motogadget gauge is, and barely needed to be milled out at all.

Reh on this forum provided the real key though, a module for the MG speedo that allowed us to replace the existing dash, some sort of electrical sorcery, and it fits inside the bucket.

After all that, I found out they make reproductions of Lucas headlights that I imagine might be a bit easier to work with. For example; the screws pre-date durable alloys and have weird non-standard dimensions when they rust up and need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Hey Sun,

The headlight is a 1930s (if memory serves) Lucas model. It looked pretty shabby when I found it, but I didn't see any bare metal, only multiple layers of different paint. Once stripped it looked brand new. The lens and reflector are original. They open using a sprung latch underneath, a beautiful design.

Correct on the Bakelite switch, it was originally hooked up to the light (Off/L/H), but I've left the beam switch on the bars. The voltmeter originally sat where the motogadget gauge is, and barely needed to be milled out at all.

Reh on this forum provided the real key though, a module for the MG speedo that allowed us to replace the existing dash, some sort of electrical sorcery, and it fits inside the bucket.

After all that, I found out they make reproductions of Lucas headlights that I imagine might be a bit easier to work with. For example; the screws pre-date durable alloys and have weird non-standard dimensions when they rust up and need to be replaced.
Thanks for letting me know! Very cool, one of kind.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
beautiful work - nicely done.
i echo the compliments on the headlight bucket - keeps the top clamp nice & clean.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts