Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That is amazing. It looks brilliant! Best and most ambitious project I have seen involving a Sport Classic. Have a Sport 1000 myself.

How dos this swing arm compare to the original Sport 1000 swing arm and the S4R swing arm? Length, width, wheel center and so forth?

I have always thought of the S4R swing arm as perfect for the Sport 1000, but newer had the guts to even look for one because of the suspension linkage. Seeing your project might make me reconsider :rolleyes:

Would the original single sided shock mount (monoposto) look totally bogus on a S4R swing arm and is it even possible.

And what about the exhaust tube near the second cylinder exhaust exit when compressing your shock? Same suspension travel and room or?
It's hard to see what you have done with the exhaust there, but I'm running Zard Titanium (2 on one side, not the NCR model), and that construction might create a problem with the suspension linkage under the seat?

Sorry for the many questions but this project is fantastic and makes me wanna strip my bike straight away!

Cheers
Thanks Sig, I'll answer as best I can and please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

The internet is a wonderful thing. I've seen a couple of single sided swingarm (SSS) projects for the SC; Eight Forty Eights', the German one you linked and a few others since I started this, and while I'd love to claim "first", in reality this is concurrent innovation. Lots of people have thought about this kind of thing I'm sure, luckily (or crazily!), I'm neck deep in this build now.

I didn't do any research on the SSS modification before I bought the bike, but had the swingarm for a 749/999 project I was working on. Suffice it to say, when I mocked it up on the SC for fun, I just knew it had to be done. The bikes name, "Catch 22", really says it all...

November marks the 19th month of slow but steady design and engineering on this. The conversion wasn't a simple swap out, but surprisingly wasn't as hard as expected, just time consuming. The length, width and wheel center have been designed to stock specs. I can't really say what modding the S4R swingarm would involve, sorry, but at least that swingarm has a lower suspension linkage built in. In my case the rear shock has been replaced with a fully adjustable one, for better performance and to suit the reduced travel. I think the standard side mounted shock would look great, as it does in the German build, but I'm after a different aesthetic. The main issues were the swingarm mounts and the exhaust headers, all of which are custom.

As I've promised earlier in this thread, I'll detail the whole build, especially rear suspension linkage and exhaust headers with pics, as soon as possible. The swingarm was finally painted earlier in the week, and exhaust returned from getting coated today, so when it's all back together, I'll take extensive photos and do a full write up, just need to find the time and a good camera! After lurking here for so long I feel its definitely time to give something back to one of the best forums around.

Next up on the seemingly endless list following that is the front end, so new forks, axle, brakes and custom triple clamps including dials. Wheel choice is still keeping me up at night though, want to keep the classic appeal...

And if you think this is ambitious, check out SM70's race-spec Sport Classic, or Eight Forty Eights' build! Visionaries are everywhere :)

Cheers - Andrew (Las)

·
312 Posts
We recently picked up Lascivus's Single Sided Sport 1000 on a fine Melbourne summers day

The lads in the workshop were immediately keen to investigate it's A-symmetric nature

Up on the bench with a mock up shock from a 1098

Keeping good company with another customer build

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome looking

The singel side swingarm is one good looking thing, but the center shock on a sport classic don like this is indescribable cool.
Realy nice work!
And now that I have received my aluminum tank and is waiting for the matching aluminum seat cowl and billet fuel base, this is the next major thing that I will follow and perhaps/hopefully achieve on my own bike one day!

Looking forward to follow this and thanks for the pictures
Merry Christmas her from Denmark

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
We recently picked up Lascivus's Single Sided Sport 1000 on a fine Melbourne summers day

The lads in the workshop were immediately keen to investigate it's A-symmetric nature

Up on the bench with a mock up shock from a 1098

Keeping good company with another customer build

+1 Ultra-cool!

Just when I get mine to where I want it, this pops up :( Guess I'll just have to love my Bella the way she is and remember that surgery could be an option in the future...if she ever needs it ;)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Happy new year, hope you all had a good break. Thanks for the kind wishes and words.

Cheers SM70 for the great pics and the update, appreciate it!

The shot in the ute is the finished exhaust, and in the third pic you can see the header going to the left of the shock. Brad (Bikecraft) nailed the design and it is a testament to his skill and patience. The mount bracket is almost invisible, it sounds like thunder and I think its suits the lines. Very happy with the result, cant wait have it tuned.

Now to get stuck into the suspension and the wheels at Motocicletta...

Cheers - Las

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi All,

A quick update on the build progress! Interim wheels and rear brake are on, front end swapped out, slipper clutch is in, WASP PUK and PC3 ready to install. Can’t say enough good things about Motocicletta team.

Front brakes, motogadget mini vintage dial, rear ohlins and front & rear light clusters still to go, then she'll be out on the road. Alu tank and tail are still in the works, and waiting on some Kineo spoked wheels as the final touch.

some new pics:

All the best

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Hi All,

A quick update on the build progress! Interim wheels and rear brake are on, front end swapped out, slipper clutch is in, WASP PUK and PC3 ready to install. Can’t say enough good things about Motocicletta team.

Front brakes, motogadget mini vintage dial, rear ohlins and front & rear light clusters still to go, then she'll be out on the road. Alu tank and tail are still in the works, and waiting on some Kineo spoked wheels as the final touch.

some new pics:

All the best
Looking great!

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Momentum

Hi Duc MS,

Been a while so thought I'd update on progress or lack thereof. Feels like a few steps forwards followed directly by more problems to solve... part of the fun but am getting pretty keen to ride the wheels off this. When you start actually dreaming its completed and wake up disappointed, you know its time to focus.

Rear Ohlins w/remote reservoir arrived and immediately demanded a slight revision to the geometry of the top linkage for consistent loading. Clearances are still quite fine on engine and exhaust header.

All the parts are here and work is sequenced, just doesn't feel like 4 months worth of progress. Its slowly coming together.

More phone shots, sorry Tmnstr!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
one more thing

while I actually quite like the burnt orange body with red wheels (looks better IRL), I do plan to paint the interim wheels and front fender some sort of black.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Duc MS,

Been a while so thought I'd update on progress or lack thereof. Feels like a few steps forwards followed directly by more problems to solve... part of the fun but am getting pretty keen to ride the wheels off this. When you start actually dreaming its completed and wake up disappointed, you know its time to focus.

Rear Ohlins w/remote reservoir arrived and immediately demanded a slight revision to the geometry of the top linkage for consistent loading. Clearances are still quite fine on engine and exhaust header.

All the parts are here and work is sequenced, just doesn't feel like 4 months worth of progress. Its slowly coming together.

More phone shots, sorry Tmnstr!
It really looks great. I know the feeling just wanting to ride the thing. I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end :).

Maybe it has been mentioned before, but what paint scheme will you use for seat + tank? I think the red rims would go real well with pretty much anything. You could always try it for a while, and change later.

Did you manage to mount another instrument panel? I'm finding the cluster a little bulky and was considering something smaller, or atleast a thinner casing, but looking at the curcuit I'd imagine it requiring some electronics work which is probably more than I can handle.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Johanhej

The plan for the tank/tail is to keep it raw aluminum and polish in a few stripes & vintage Ducati logos. Haven't had much luck in working out how to/finding someone who can polish dead-straight 10mm stripes or detailed logo work, yet...

The S4R wheels are for slight unsprung weight saving and as an option to the Kineo set (when they arrive).

On the dials, I've swapped the whole cluster out for a Motogadget mini vintage dial, housed in the top of an old Lucas headlight with new internals. Reh on this forum is an electronics wizard/guru and made a module to connect the MG dial directly to the OEM wiring loom (I still need to re-flash the ecu).

Link to the dash thread:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/134558-frontal-lobotomy-k-installing-motogadget-dashboard.html

On another note, anyone have any comments/thoughts on the modified exhaust? I love the rear profile, undecided side on...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
^ Maybe coat the muflers only with a silver high temperature coating to make them more visible and to keep your feet from getting too warm. Silver mufflers would make a nice contrast to the black like the clutch cover does and balance the black/silver. IMO

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good idea, I'll try and photoshop it. The pipes do curve to out under the engine and then flatten to straight back (pic 2 shows the angles), so don't really heat the heels, thankfully. Would be great if a silver Hi-temp coating matched the other raw metal, if I don't melt boots I could strip and matte clear the pipe sections.

Still considering a larger bore from the headers back, or modifying an aftermarket exhaust to suit (Hypermotard for example may work?) Would welcome any suggestions from the wealth of experience on the forum.

Cheers - Andrew (Las)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The plan for the tank/tail is to keep it raw aluminum and polish in a few stripes & vintage Ducati logos. Haven't had much luck in working out how to/finding someone who can polish dead-straight 10mm stripes or detailed logo work, yet...
1) polish the whole thing
2) mask off the logos/stripes (heavily!)
3) Scotchbrite everything else

Should give close to the desired effect...

·
Motorbike Junky
669 Posts
Exactly the advice I was about to give! Try that, it should work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Process Flow

Hey T, J & Duc MS!

Just call me Las, everyone else does!

But seriously, back on the build: couldn't find a way to mount the suspension pivot under the seat and still clear the fuel pump, so had to flip it and mount to the swing arm and engine, and had to make it of Alu. Took a few weeks and a few designs to get it right. :think:

Finally got it drawn and machined up, working on fitting at the moment. My welding isn't up to the level I want for this, and it means repainting the newly painted swing arm (ffs), so its back in the shop... was hoping to give update last week but I am, perhaps, too patient a man. :sleep:

Sorry no pics but nothing to see at the moment really. :eek:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Hey T, J & Duc MS!

Just call me Las, everyone else does!

But seriously, back on the build: couldn't find a way to mount the suspension pivot under the seat and still clear the fuel pump, so had to flip it and mount to the swing arm and engine, and had to make it of Alu. Took a few weeks and a few designs to get it right. :think:

Finally got it drawn and machined up, working on fitting at the moment. My welding isn't up to the level I want for this, and it means repainting the newly painted swing arm (ffs), so its back in the shop... was hoping to give update last week but I am, perhaps, too patient a man. :sleep:

Sorry no pics but nothing to see at the moment really. :eek:

Cheers!
Hi Las ;)

Could you share your rocker/swing arm sketch/drawing? Randy at Strada Fab is trying to tackle the same problem in mounting an S2R SSSA to a Sport1000 mono. Thinking this could help him out by showing an alternative rocker position.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

21 - 40 of 95 Posts