Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Duc MS,

Just thought I'd post a few shots of the work in progress, a labor of love, as they all are I guess.

Bought an '06 SC1000 just over 3 years ago on a bit of a whim (with the GF moving in, thought I should sneak one more bike into the garage before the 'deadline')

Had always wanted to build a classic cafe style bike with a single sided swing arm, and am very keen to find a single sided spoked wheel for this, although its pretty challenging to find a manufacturer.

Sourced a great swing arm for it from Brook Henry (Vee Two in WA), and spent some time modifying this to fit and include a suspension linkage tucked under the seat. Might have been easier in retrospect to go for the S4R swing arm, but I prefer the bespoke tubular trellis linkage to be honest. Working on the exhaust now. Many thanks to Brad at Bikecraft for his many hours of welding and head scratching on both jobs.

Been watching EIGHTFourtyEIGHT's and SM70's builds with great interest since I stumbled on them, inspiration is never far away on this forum is seems.

Sorry for the phone pics, and it doesn't appear I missed my calling as a photographer... but anyway, here she is:

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great work. Keep them coming....

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hi Duc MS,

Just thought I'd post a few shots of the work in progress, a labor of love, as they all are I guess.

Bought an '06 SC1000 just over 3 years ago on a bit of a whim (with the GF moving in, thought I should sneak one more bike into the garage before the 'deadline')

Had always wanted to build a classic cafe style bike with a single sided swing arm, and am very keen to find a single sided spoked wheel for this, although its pretty challenging to find a manufacturer.

Sourced a great swing arm for it from Brook Henry (Vee Two in WA), and spent some time modifying this to fit and include a suspension linkage tucked under the seat. Might have been easier in retrospect to go for the S4R swing arm, but I prefer the bespoke tubular trellis linkage to be honest. Working on the exhaust now. Many thanks to Brad at Bikecraft for his many hours of welding and head scratching on both jobs.

Been watching EIGHTFourtyEIGHT's and SM70's builds with great interest since I stumbled on them, inspiration is never far away on this forum is seems.

Sorry for the phone pics, and it doesn't appear I missed my calling as a photographer... but anyway, here she is:
Wow! Very cool...to say the least. How is the vertical cyl exhaust header going to fit around the shock? Also, could you post more Picts/info about the rear shock linkage/attachment points? Really neat that you left the battery box in place and worked around it. Usually that the first thing to go in a custom rear shock build.

Keep up the good work! And clean your phone/camera lens :D

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
25 Posts
WOW! Really impressive swingarm and what a noise those pipes would make! Can't wait for the finished article and videos too please.:D

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the kind words, really appreciate it! Looking forward to getting the exhaust done and some baffles installed so I don't blow out my ears

How is the vertical cyl exhaust header going to fit around the shock? Also, could you post more Picts/info about the rear shock linkage/attachment points?

And clean your phone/camera lens :D

Cheers,

Tmnstr
Sure thing, I'll take some additional shots of the header routed through the swing arm and the rear suspension linkage, but first I'll clean that grubby lens!

Got the header to sneak in on the left of the shock, down inside the swing arm and and a tight angle 'U' bend underneath to bring it back up.

I plan to remove the battery case shortly and put it under the tank or the rear cowl (in order of preference). Means removing the airbox and plumbing in another solution though... hmmm :think:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great work. Really impressive.

Will you change other OEM parts like the seat, the gauges/clocks, etc?
G'day Dutch, thanks and absolutely, the goal is to run over the whole bike and remove/replace quite a fair bit. I can see the finished project vividly in my head, if that makes sense!

Getting the largest jobs out of the way first, and then the front suspension so I can buy some interim wheels. Will be working on the engine a bit later, slipper, lightened flywheel, quick shift, slave cylinders, belt covers, other necessities.

Diopa seat should be in the mail (fingers crossed!) and Motogadget do some beautiful gauges and replacement switches/buttons I am sourcing as well.

The final stage will be the rear spoked single sided wheel (assuming I can get one without selling an organ) and a custom headlight incorporating something I haven't seen yet on a bike...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Looking forward to getting the exhaust done and some baffles installed so I don't blow out my ears
Baffles.... We don't need no stinking baffles!!

Ear plugs!!!

·
301 Posts
Hi Lascivus,

Great to have met you in the shop today. Looking forward to assisting you with this build....can't stop thinking about single sided swing arms now!

Cheers,
SM70

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Lascivus,

Great to have met you in the shop today. Looking forward to assisting you with this build....can't stop thinking about single sided swing arms now!

Cheers,
SM70
Hey SM70, was absolutely my pleasure to meet both you and the team, and all in a fantastic workshop, a great connection to make! Has me very inspired to get stuck into the next stage.

Maybe a single swing arm in the future for one of the Motocicletta bikes...?

Thanks for taking the time to show me around, looking forward to working with you

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
G'day Dutch, thanks and absolutely, the goal is to run over the whole bike and remove/replace quite a fair bit. I can see the finished project vividly in my head, if that makes sense!

Getting the largest jobs out of the way first, and then the front suspension so I can buy some interim wheels. Will be working on the engine a bit later, slipper, lightened flywheel, quick shift, slave cylinders, belt covers, other necessities.

Diopa seat should be in the mail (fingers crossed!) and Motogadget do some beautiful gauges and replacement switches/buttons I am sourcing as well.

The final stage will be the rear spoked single sided wheel (assuming I can get one without selling an organ) and a custom headlight incorporating something I haven't seen yet on a bike...
Please do get some quality pics taken when the work is done... This bike will deserve a public outing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks awesome so far!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks awesome so far!
Cheers Caleb, that's just what i think of your avatar ;)

Im expecting to be able to take some better pics of progress, with a lot more detail on the suspension linkage and exhaust headers, late next week or early the week after. Exhaust is completed, swing arm clean up and some de-tabbing in preparation to work with SM70 and the team on the next stage.

Cheers - Las

·
Registered
85 Posts
wow! super coool:D this is awesome and great work:p

·
Registered
724 Posts
Magnificent! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best project I have seen

That is amazing. It looks brilliant! Best and most ambitious project I have seen involving a Sport Classic. Have a Sport 1000 myself.

How dos this swing arm compare to the original Sport 1000 swing arm and the S4R swing arm? Length, width, wheel center and so forth?

I have always thought of the S4R swing arm as perfect for the Sport 1000, but newer had the guts to even look for one because of the suspension linkage. Seeing your project might make me reconsider :rolleyes:

Would the original single sided shock mount (monoposto) look totally bongus on a S4R swing arm and is it even possible.

And what about the exhaust tube near the second cylinder exhaust exit when compressing your shock? Same suspension travel and room ore?
It's hard to se what you have don with the exhaust there, but I'm running Zard Titanium (2 on one side, not the NCR model), and that construction might create a problem with the suspension linkage under the seat?

Sorry for the many question but this project is fantastic and makes me wanna strip my bike straight away!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 95 Posts