Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello first post lol. I've read thousands of post about installing this clutch it seems. So when I installed their 6 spring slipper clutch with their kevlar clutch kit on my 2010 Streetfighter 1098 everything seemed fine at first. It did kinda klunk into gear when down shifting especially into first but everything else seemed great. Up until about 200 miles into the be setup. It started to slip. I could only notice it cruising in 3rd. As soon as I'd start to speed up it word slip for a second then bite and jerk forward. It progressively got worse over the next hundred miles until it started throwing parts of the friction disk out of the clutch and would not move. I pushed it on the truck with it in first gear and the clutch engaged it was so bad lol. So I ordered their street kit and stacked out it measures 36.5 but the kevlar kit i pulled out that was slipping still measured 36. The new kit go threw gears fine but it feels like it's slipping too. At higher rpm's it slips. So my question is, is my stack height off and I need to add another metal disk? Or is it something along the lines of when I switched from stock to the new slipper clutch (also when I change the clutch I installed the ducabike clutch plate the clutch sits in) that somehow now my pushrod is too long and not letting the pressure plate not engage the clutch enough. Thanks for any advice. This is my first Ducati and first time messing with the clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
When you start changing clutch components sometimes you can end up with a clearance issue between clutch rod and pressure plate. I’d contact Ducabike, see what they have to say about it. No matter what , if you don’t have a small amount of clutch rod clearance it can cause slippage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's got plenty of clutch rod clearance. It'll push the pressure plate close to a 1/4 inch from the clutch stack

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I’m talking about if there is clearance between the clutch rod and the pressure plate when the clutch lever is not being touched by fingers. If there is no clearance the clutch will slip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m talking about if there is clearance between the clutch rod and the pressure plate when the clutch lever is not being touched by fingers. If there is no clearance the clutch will slip
I'm going to say there's no clearance. When I install the pressure plate I have to push in the pushrod with the pressure plate and the springs hold it in. If I just push the pushrod in with the pressure plate until the plate is touching the clutch stack and let go the pushrod will push the pressure plate back out 2 to 3 mm.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I am not an expert on slipper clutches , but if the “ Pressure “ plate is being held away from the clutch plates it cannot apply “pressure “ so that the plates don’t slip. It needs to be able to clamp that whole stack of plates tightly with spring pressure or it will be as if you are holding the clutch in. When you pull the lever, you lift the pressure plate away from the clutch plates and the plates are allowed to slip against each other. It sounds as if you need a thicker stack of plates so that there is a little clearance between the rod and pressure plate.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Your clutch symptoms all point to the clutch not being fully locked up due to lack of clearance. Now you just need to figure out how to get the proper clearance so the clutch doesn't slip or fry itself. If it has already spit out pieces of the fibers you need to start over with new fiber plates and possibly all new steels. Check the steel plates for warping, glazing and heat damage. If you don't replace the parts and just get the clearance right you'll be going in a circle using damaged clutch disks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts