Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently purchased an '03 749. I was riding a YZF 600R before. I am new to this Ducati scene. I am still getting used to the Dry-Clutch sound.

I have a few questions, not sure if this is supposed to happen or not on a Ducati.

1. I can't shift past 1st gear unless I am doing atleast 20mph.
2. When I rev it too fast, the clutch starts slipping at 6.5K RPM. I can the see the RPM indicator jumping to 8.5K+ RPM and engine whining like I pressed the clutch lever.
3. I have a vented clutch cover. Is this supposed to help the clutch cool down, or can I use a closed one to make the dry clutch sound more subtle?
4. Does anyone know where to get a yellow painted front fender? Mine has a carbon fiber one, I don't digg it!
5. I need some low-end power on this... I like the handling on this duc, but the low-end power isn't there.. Is 520-conversion kit a way to go or Can I buy some slip-on exhaust. I don't care much for top speed. I want more low-end acceleration.

My 749 is stock, except for foot-pegs and front fender.

Thanks,
Nibbler

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a clutch pack.
The low-end you're looking for is from torque (the v-twin makes heaps of it) and that will make a marginal clutch slip. If you're noticing slip, that's your midding "drive".
I'd put a new clutch pack in it before I did anything else.
If you don't like the noise of the dry clutch, a non-vented cover will mute it some -- still very audible though.
You can probably find someone willing to trade with you as mose people seem to want open covers for whatever reason...
Enjoy the ride!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Hi all,
I recently purchased an '03 749. I was riding a YZF 600R before. I am new to this Ducati scene. I am still getting used to the Dry-Clutch sound.
The Yamaha only had 48lb torq and around 104hp. Your new 749, even if its just a base model, it has more like 55lbs torq and 105hp.

1. I can't shift past 1st gear unless I am doing atleast 20mph.
I assume you mean getting off the line, to get the bike into 2nd, you've gotta wait until you're going 20? Neither one of my bikes have that problem, so thats an odd-ball.

2. When I rev it too fast, the clutch starts slipping at 6.5K RPM. I can the see the RPM indicator jumping to 8.5K+ RPM and engine whining like I pressed the clutch lever.
Ohh, thats no good. You could have a bad clutch pack. Its an easy fix, you don't even have to pull out the basket. You can buy a new clutch pack and install it, within a 1/2 hour and its not too much money, $200 bux at most from a dealer.

3. I have a vented clutch cover. Is this supposed to help the clutch cool down, or can I use a closed one to make the dry clutch sound more subtle?
You can put back the OEM clutch cover, which reduces some of the noise. It doesn't effect anything, especially for street riding.

4. Does anyone know where to get a yellow painted front fender? Mine has a carbon fiber one, I don't digg it!
Ebay?

5. I need some low-end power on this... I like the handling on this duc, but the low-end power isn't there.. Is 520-conversion kit a way to go or Can I buy some slip-on exhaust. I don't care much for top speed. I want more low-end acceleration.
I've ridden the 600R and S models, they have no bottom end. With a set of pipes and a proper map to go along with it, you'll have plenty of torq.

In summation, sounds to me like the previous owner didn't take care of the bike, if the clutch is slipping. Perhaps it needs other things you don't know about and thats why its acting strange and isn't fast.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
345 Posts
Another option for gaining the low-end is to drop a front tooth (or up 3 in the rear, IIRC). No need for a chain change.

In addition to ebay, check the classifieds on this site. everything turns up eventually.

enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dobr24,
yes, I did buy this in Louisville, KY. How did you guess? :eek:

Thanks, TX_ST2, zx250R, tye1138, clenart50

I am going to ask the dealer to change the front sprocket and the clutch pack.

tye1138, is there a set of pipes that you would recommend? (Don't want to spend too much).

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ducati clutches wear out eventually...that doesn't mean the bike was not taken care of by the previous owner.

You can replace the clutch pack with a Barnett for like $150 if you do it yourself. Trust me, it's super-easy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked at this bike and the seller was not telling the whole truth about the bike. That bike has been laid down hard on the right hand side, that is why the clutch cover was replaced. Also note that the foot guard is broken off. I also believe that this is why the front fender is not the original it was probably damaged in the wreck also. The rear subframe also appears to be bent. I decided against this bike when I bought my 999 and after hearing your story I'm glad I did. It really sucks when a seller lies. After looking at the bike I put a notice up on carfax about the damage, but I guess you did not see it. Good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at this bike and the seller was not telling the whole truth about the bike. That bike has been laid down hard on the right hand side, that is why the clutch cover was replaced. Also note that the foot guard is broken off. I also believe that this is why the front fender is not the original it was probably damaged in the wreck also. The rear subframe also appears to be bent. I decided against this bike when I bought my 999 and after hearing your story I'm glad I did. It really sucks when a seller lies. After looking at the bike I put a notice up on carfax about the damage, but I guess you did not see it. Good luck with the bike.
Yeah, that makes sense... I guess I should stop trusting people. When I saw the odd looking front carbon fiber fender, I asked the dude if it was dropped. He said "No, the previous owner had a crack." I was just too excited to ride a 749, coz I was looking for one almost since the spring started. Makes me think if I have to take it to the dealer, and ask if anything else wrong with the ride.

I did try to pull-up the carfax, and it gave me an invalid VIN error. I thought carfax didn't do motorcycles.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ducati clutches wear out eventually...that doesn't mean the bike was not taken care of by the previous owner.

You can replace the clutch pack with a Barnett for like $150 if you do it yourself. Trust me, it's super-easy.
The ride has 4800 miles. 600 are mine. From what dobr24 said, I am guessing the previous owner didn't do a good job at all.

What's a good place to buy these clutch packs? Can't find them on eBay.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So it had 4200 miles when you picked it up? That would have had to been a hard 4200 miles to burn through a clutch pack. They can last a long time if ridden properly and not abused. Have you at least pulled the right side fairing off to inspect for any other damage that is not visible when the bike is dressed?

As for your fender, you may want to put up a post here for a trade. I bet people would be willing to trade you their yellow front fender for your carbon fiber front fender. My bike is red, or else I would be willing to trade you. I would rather have the carbon fiber front fender, just my opinion.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just talked w/ the dealer. Clutch pack is $250 and couple hours to install @ $85/hr.

Looks like I will have to do it myself.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Chris
That's okay, $hit happens :D

I hope it won't be too bad after changing the clutch pack. I am going to undress it tonight and see how bad it is inside. I still like the way it handles. The power band just isn't what I expected... Maybe I was expecting too much. My YZF had a full bro's exhaust, stage I jet and 520 sprockets. The 749 might get there with similar mods. * fingers crossed *

1 - 20 of 66 Posts