Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick lapse of concentration and the ST was on its side.

I was making the final turn into the parking space this morning, and whoops. I couldn't help but laugh. It was my bad covering the front brake instead of gliding with the rear. I had no way of feathering in some throttle without making a bigger mess of it.

Another person was there parking their scooter and said that situation is what they always worry about. I said it was now big deal and picked up the ST with ease just to demonstrate.

Now, I have matching scars on both the L and R fairings. :abduct: Of course, ATGATT made it a non-issue otherwise.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
That sucks. :( Oh well, more touch up paint character. My '05 has her fair share too. :) Laying them down is like having kids. After the first one, you're not so up tight about things. :)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Don't you hate that there's always a witness? :D

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks. :( Oh well, more touch up paint character. My '05 has her fair share too. :) Laying them down is like having kids. After the first one, you're not so up tight about things. :)
I was JUST saying that to someone yesterday. I was thinking of getting it painted one solid color again. Screw that! Ha!

Don't you hate that there's always a witness? :D
Yup. This would be the third time for that. Grrr. I think I prefer audiences. :eek:

Have a good one.

·
Registered
965 Posts
That's a drag and I sorry to hear that your bike received some added “customizations". I think that no matter what we say when we do something like that we're grateful that it wasn't worse, but still angry that it happened at all. I know that it won’t help but we have all done it at least once and will again as long as we ride them, it even happens to the trailer queens. Gravity sucks.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most definitely. Although, I seriously laughed once my butt hit the ground. Weirdly, I did the same when my friend t-boned me a couple years back. He didn't see my turn signal.

If it ain't serious, what else can you do? Of course, my friend wasn't laughing becase he cracked a rib and his helmet touched down lightly.

Gravity does suck. I'm waiting on a real Speederbike, from Star Wars. =)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh well..
Hey could be tons worce..
My one drop of my ST was in my own drive way...my very rutted and frost heaved drive way...came home with my new helmet strapped to the seat put bike on side stand and unstrapped the helmet put it on the ground and turned to see the bike going over...grabed it but it pulled me with it. The air turned Blue as my mom would say the F bombs flow out of my mouth. All the white scratches that were deep after a was and a buff with old #7 compound cleaned up well then wiped down with some acetone and for now hit with rattle can clear coat. If you look you see them but there not white any longer.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That sucks Toney:( Glad no injury, other than pride. We were just chatting about these downers.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
glad there was no injury or damage. Dropped mine a while back, at the gas station of all places. Had just fueled and had it on the side stand which was resting on a steel plate, the cover to underground tank, which has a slight mound to repel water. Bad spot, didn't realize at the time how upright the bike was sitting.
Anyway, walked to the right side and cinched up a strap on the rear pack and pulled my baby over. Hung on to that balance point until the knee gave and down we went. The guy that helped lift it off my leg was on a full dress Yamaha 1900 tourer the size of a mini-van. According to him I was lucky it was such a little bike. Just had to laugh at that comment. Never thought of my ST as a delicate little thing before.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
162 Posts
Knocked mine over when I got stranded due to a fuel line coming off the pump. Just had it on the sidestand, and rather precariously given the shoulder surface. Resulted in a crack on the upper fairing; was able to repair/reinforce the cracked area without issue, and managed to find an auto paint touch-up pen that was close enough that it passes inspection by the casual viewer from a couple of feet away.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You must be an engineer/scientist also. =) We're like bad fleas.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sucks Toney:( Glad no injury, other than pride. We were just chatting about these downers.
Yeah. I should have knocked on wood, thrown some salt, . . .

glad there was no injury or damage. Dropped mine a while back, at the gas station of all places. Had just fueled and had it on the side stand which was resting on a steel plate, the cover to underground tank, which has a slight mound to repel water. Bad spot, didn't realize at the time how upright the bike was sitting.
Anyway, walked to the right side and cinched up a strap on the rear pack and pulled my baby over. Hung on to that balance point until the knee gave and down we went. The guy that helped lift it off my leg was on a full dress Yamaha 1900 tourer the size of a mini-van. According to him I was lucky it was such a little bike. Just had to laugh at that comment. Never thought of my ST as a delicate little thing before.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
Thanks. Friends and fam are now getting a good laugh about it.

These things are tanks, I tell ya.

Have a good one.

·
Administrator
13,234 Posts
Kinda like a Duc on it's side...

Glad you were OK and your ego isn't too bruised. Cheers to being a good sport.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking about another caption to that pic. Haha.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I once did a quick gas station run with only a helmet. When I went to put the bike up on the center stand, I burned my leg on the exhaust (was wearing shorts). The bike went down on the right side, albeit slowed by me holding onto it.

Better than the giant highside I took in July at 60+mph, where the bike also went down on its right side. Since it slid in wet grass, the only scratches came from when the right sidecase popped off (I guess they are designed to do that; otherwise it would have been crushed) and skidded on the road. I actually got more scratches on that case when I scraped past a parked bus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had nearly the same thing happen to me. Was riding behind a friend who started to swing wide to pull through a parking spot inside of pulling through the parking spot. I was completely unprepared for the latter and didn't have my foot anywhere near the back brake. I tweaked the front brake while mid-turn and naturally halted and fail. :)

Hard lesson to learn, but I'll make sure I keep my foot ready for slow-speed braking in the future. Nothing major on the fairing, just scratches on the lower parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts