Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice between these two bikes, which one would you choose and why?

Details like reliability, comfort, performance, asthetics are all important factors here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have owned a 748s and ridded a F4 750.. If you like inline power and high reving motors then get the F4. If you like the sound and performance of the ducati then get the 748. There is very litte difference in corning ability of either bike. Unless you have been to numerous racing schools and have a track bike and ride it every weekend, then you will probably not be able to determine that one is far suerior over the other. You will need to go with you gut feeling on which one you like when you get on it.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
MV 750 for looks only. However I hear they are underpowered and more uncomfortable than a 748. Is that possible? I think the big advantage of the 748 are the kits to make it an 853. I don't know anything about the MV, whether it has that affordable capability to upgrade the power like the 748.

·
Registered
311 Posts
bruce19 said:
Wouldn't flaking rockers be a MAJOR deterrent to owning the 748?

bruce19
No, not necessarily. I think it all depends on where your heart is. Some people own Ducatis for the overall experience, including all of the idiosyncrasies that come with it. Others, well, I'm not sure why they own Ducatis if not for that reason.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bruce19 said:
Wouldn't flaking rockers be a MAJOR deterrent to owning the 748?

bruce19
What's the reputation of the Mv's in terms of production quality and longevity?

T

·
0 Posts
better than ducatis from what i hear...get the mv...if u already have a duc...hell even if u dont mvs are so hott lol

·
comrade moderator
26,982 Posts
Hell, I doubt there are ANY MV F4's with any significant mileage on them. Not enought to wear anything out.

Personally, between the two the F4 wins, hands down no contest.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
hate to state the obvious but the avg 748 is about 6500 the avg mv750 is about 15000.also if you gernade a duc motor you could replace one from ebay for less than 2000,the mv is pretty ,but there ain't much on ebay for them.but then its a moot point up here cause you can't even legaly register a mv here in canada.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kaos said:
hate to state the obvious but the avg 748 is about 6500 the avg mv750 is about 15000.also if you gernade a duc motor you could replace one from ebay for less than 2000,the mv is pretty ,but there ain't much on ebay for them.but then its a moot point up here cause you can't even legaly register a mv here in canada.
What the deal with the restriction on the Mv in Canada?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i think mv has to jump through a few hoops with the ministry of transport.heard rumorsthey might be doing this soon and selling under the husaberg dealer network,but i wouldn't hold my breath.it takes money to please the government,and nobodys spent any yet.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
1999r1 said:
No, not necessarily. I think it all depends on where your heart is. Some people own Ducatis for the overall experience, including all of the idiosyncrasies that come with it. Others, well, I'm not sure why they own Ducatis if not for that reason.
The flaking rockers are not "idiosyncrasies." They are a major screw up that no owner should have to pay for. On a high end bike (or any bike for that matter) this is unacceptable. Anyone who chalks this up to Italian "character" is just rationalizing incompetence.

bruce19

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
bruce19 said:
The flaking rockers are not "idiosyncrasies." They are a major screw up that no owner should have to pay for. On a high end bike (or any bike for that matter) this is unacceptable. Anyone who chalks this up to Italian "character" is just rationalizing incompetence.

bruce19
+1, but watch out... you might get banned by elitists.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
SeanFromTX said:
+1, but watch out... you might get banned by elitists.
Only a complete moron would try to defend poor quality control. It is to Ducati's undying shame that they have let the Desmoquattro engine quality go to hell by not correcting the rocker problem.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If it wasn't for the rockers issue, I would have had a 748 years ago. Now I have a 998 so no flaking issues. Unfortunately, the 998 really is too much for the street. As much as I love it, a 748 or 749 makes much more sense for how I ride these days. I just don't know if I could make myself spend $1600 for an exhaust that makes the 749 sound like a Duc.

bruce19

·
Registered
96 Posts
bruce19 said:
If it wasn't for the rockers issue, I would have had a 748 years ago. Now I have a 998 so no flaking issues. Unfortunately, the 998 really is too much for the street. As much as I love it, a 748 or 749 makes much more sense for how I ride these days. I just don't know if I could make myself spend $1600 for an exhaust that makes the 749 sound like a Duc.

bruce19
Come on now, the flaking is a bit blown out of proportion. With a good dealer it isn't very expensive to get resolved.

I love my 748 and at 14500 miles no flaking..........yet :)

-Chris

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Chris748s said:
Come on now, the flaking is a bit blown out of proportion. With a good dealer it isn't very expensive to get resolved.

I love my 748 and at 14500 miles no flaking..........yet :)

-Chris
Chris:

I want to believe that but it's hard to take the chance. Anyway, your bike did look good at Borella's. I'd love to own that 748R at Valley Motorsports if they'd lower the price and I could get it registered.

bruce19

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult to decide between two bikes when one costs more than twice the other. Either way, the decision should be a no-brainer for the buyer :confused: ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both look awesome, can't go wrong with either based on looks. If you go MV will you be able to get parts/service where you are?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts