Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WARNING - LONG POST...

Just wanted to share a new product I’ve been testing on a Monster 1100S. I’ll add additional details to the post as I spend more time using the tuner. When I picked up a Monster 1100S this spring, I decided to go with the full Termi system as it was the only full system available and there was/is limited support for the Siemens ECUs used on the bike. One big negative to the M696 & M1100 is Ducati chose to retain the O2 Sensors on all ECUs including the Termi slip-on and full systems. The bike uses a pair of narrow band sensors (one for each cylinder) and uses a closed loop map for low RPM/throttle positions. This means you can no longer manually set the trim and install a PCIII as you can with the other late model bikes. The M1100 runs well, but has a fair amount of surging during constant throttle/low RPM cruising.

In an effort to eliminate the surging, my first obvious route was to see if a pair of O2 Manipulators would help. Long story short, they do not. Using an oscilloscope and looking at the waveform, it’s very apparent the Siemens ECU uses the sensor feedback differently than the Marelli ECU used on the other models. I’d order a Nemesis, but no go with the Siemens. My next step was a Power Commander V, but the release date is indefinite. So… my only choice was to sit and wait or adapt a current piggy back system and hope for the best.

At some point during my too many hours of internet searching I came across the Motty Electronics AFR Tuner http://www.afrtuner.com/index.html. The company is based in Europe and has a small, but popular following in the Japanese sport bike community. The AFR Tuner is much like a Power Commander with a few significant differences:

• Better map resolution – 14 throttle position columns & adjustment every 200 RPMs vs. 10 TPS columns & 250 RPMs on a PCV and 9 TPS columns and & 250 RPMs on a PCIII

• Integrated full closed loop wideband O2 sensor tuning - expandable to 2 & 4 independent cylinders.
  • Integrated data logger with 7 hours of memory – logs motor speed, wheel speed, throttle position, gear, engine or coolant temperature, actual AFR, target AFR, and aux. input (lap timer, etc.)

• Two fuel maps that are selectable on the fly. Both can have the auto-tune feature.

The biggest downfall to the AFR Tuner is it is not plug and play. There are a couple of harnesses available for Japanese sport bikes, but all other applications require a custom harness or cutting and splicing of wires. I’m not a fan of cutting and splicing wires, so a custom harness was the only option. The AFR Tuner requires more inputs than a typical Power Commander. I decided to splice and tap the required connections at the ECU connector. The ECU on the M1100 is mounted to the air box:

After sourcing the factory connectors I found out they do not make an inline male connector, so I modified a panel mount connector that typically mounts to a circuit board. The pins were cut and each wire was wrapped and soldered:

The female connector is just like the factory connector on the bike. The extra connector pictured is for the auxiliary input. It can be used to switch maps, turn the auto tuning feature on and off, lap timer input, etc.:

I’ll spare you all of the other harness build details, but the connections at the AFR Tuner module as well as the optional Innovate LC-1 under the seat look like:

The Innovate LC-1 is used as the 2nd wideband sensor input. The harness for the LC-1 is also custom and shortened to work in the limited space of a motorcycle. The sensor on the LC-1 is calibrated and then a number of parameters are set to ensure the two units work well together. The AFR Tuner can now auto tune each cylinder independently.

On to the operation-

Prior to installing the unit I had to build a pair of custom O2 eliminators to remove the stock narrow band oxygen sensors. As of now and a few hundred+ miles, I’ve successfully eliminated the sensors without a check engine light. This is the one area that I need to monitor closely to ensure the ECU sticks with the default static map when no sensor feedback is present. Not pictured under the AFR Tuner module on the above picture are the O2 eliminators.

First, I want to note I do not think an auto mapped motor on the street replaces a custom map on a dyno by a competent tech. With enough tweaking you can get pretty close, but nothing replaces the dyno for high RPM runs and/or specific gear/RPM targets. My ultimate goal is to have a custom individual cylinder base map created on a dyno and then allow the auto tune feature to work when needed. Technically you could never use the auto tune feature, but still use the inputs on the data logger.

The AFR Tuner has two cell tables per map. One is for target AFR when using the auto tune and the other is the fuel adjustment percentage (like a Power Commander). You can have set fuel adjustments as well as auto tune portions on the same map. Blank AFR Map:

AFR Map

There are a number of other calibrations and setting that need to be addressed prior to the first ride. You can set when the auto tune features is active by engine temperature, gear and/or throttle position. At this point I’m running a default auto tune map of 13.0/1 on all cells. Within the first 20 minutes of riding my slow speed surging is gone. The data log is not something I will use on a regular basis, but is extremely helpful monitoring the ECU to see if it makes drastic changes to the default factory map since there is no feedback from the original oxygen sensors. A sample of an initial log (prior to adding the LC-1 and individual cylinder option):

Sample Data Log

The plan now is to ride and monitor. If everything stays consistent and the ECU plays well with the O2 eliminators I’ll look at getting a full custom map made. Look for updates soon….

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very cool. I am glad this might be on the horizon. I have been playing with something similar on my Buell (ECMSpy) does the data logging and you can change the maps per your location, riding style and preference. Made the Buell run cooler, better fuel mileage and way easier to ride.

Kudo's...

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Sweet Jason! I know a few people who have used the Motty product and are very happy with them. Let me know if you decide to make harnesses for this kit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts