Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you considered going the dual plug route on your bike? I was just wondering how much of an improvement it makes.

I'm currently considering it. Seeing that I have trouble with my one ignition module I though maybe its time for a complete ignition makeover and one of systems the guys are selling is a dual plug system for not a lot more than the single plug system.

I figured its only the effort and expense to have two extra plug holes drilled and tapped in my cylinder heads? Am I right?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I haven't done it to my heads....yet, but I know two places that can do it for you [and can probably provide you with hard data]. I was thinking about having it done at BCM when Bruce ported my heads...but I ran out of money [isn't that typical...]

BCM Ducati www.bcmducati.com

Nichols Mfg. www.nicholsmfg.com

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Just a thought, but... Would it be easier to go with a 1000DS engine replacment?

I have now idea about the 2-valvers and mounting points, just trying some creative thinking.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
When my heads were at MBP, Guy told me that he could do it, but he didn't think it necessary, so I didn't.

On the other hand, both of my LeMans are dual plugged, which gave me 20% better fuel economy with no other mods.

Tom

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Dual Plug Heads

Hi George,

I have the Dual plug heads on my 750. Only thing it did was give me better economy and a smoother low rpm range. Can really say as far as power due to other mods at the same time, however I am currently NOT using the second plug. I don't see any real difference and my mileage hasn't really changed much(5% loss approximately). I did change my ignition and fuel maps though.

Brian C.

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
And my point of view?

When I talked to BCM, they recommended me not doing it either.

Why?
Not enough gains for the cost.
They said just do a port job and HC pistons.

THEN you will see a BANG!

F

·
0 Posts
Dual plugs

I heard some feedback about the use of dual plugs on some high compresion engines that run high octane fuel.The theory is because the mixture is harder to ignite the two sparks create a better flame front.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess that for horsepower gain alone its not worth the cost and effort, but I like the idea of smoother running low rpms. Also, I'm thinking of going high comp pistons in the near future and thought that seeing that its necessary to retard timing when going high comp to eliminate pre-ignition, the dual plugs might help.

I read an interesting article that said the pre-ignition with high comp pistons normally happen in the low/midrange - so when the timing is adjusted to compensate for this, its actually adjusted away from the optimum at higher revs. Aparently the sole reason for this is because the Ducati's ignition (the carb models at least) is analog and not digital which means that the advance curve is not round, but goes up in angular steps.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Many years ago some Suzuki dirt bikes had the provision for a 2nd plug or something. A mate back then decided it would be really cool to install a "JAKE" brake.

This is not what you really want to hear but if your bike sounds cool now, imagine coming down a hill and applying a lever that created this terrific exhaust brake!!! That will turn some heads.

Mal

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes I have fitted twin spark heads to the FBG project 900SS. Theoretically good gains in performance ....and the FBG project 900 certainly goes very well! In the unofficial version of the Ignitech manual I wrote I used an explanation of the theoretical advantages of twin sparking to help explain ignition timing issues. You can request a free copy of the manual be emailing me [email protected].

1 - 10 of 10 Posts