Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a bit of a wet heat wave here the past couple of weeks. I went to start my bike yesterday... no luck. Any hints?

When I hit the starter, the engine turns over but will not start - even when spraying starter fluid into the air intakes in the airbox.

I pulled the plugs (which look ok, but a bit rich), stuck a screw driver into the ends of the spark plug cables and get strong/consistent sparks.... so the electrical system seems to be ok.

Drained the carbs twice to verify that gas was reaching them.

I don't quite understand how fuel is delivered to the engine from the carbs, but I bet that's where the problem is.

Any tips/comments/etc are welcome! :) I'm trying to formulate as much of a plan as possible prior to pulling the carbs off (if needed).

Thanks Ducati.ms!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I got the bike running.

I cleaned the plugs. They were black and wet, but not a lot.

Also, took the cover off the airbox and sprayed some seafoam into the air intakes (hoping to free up anything clogged there...we've had a lot of humidity lately and rain so I thought something might be clogged from moisture), let the bike sit for an hour and started it.

I still need to get to the underlying problem. It takes about 30 minutes of driving above 4000 RPM to get the bike 'warmed up' so that it won't backfire and bog without choke being on about 1/4 of the way.

I have rebuilt the carbs (6 months ago) and reset the float heights (possibly wrong - it's difficult with the angle of the carbs to know if I'm measuring correctly.

I doubt 70% humidity, 90 degree weather are enough to cause this. It's like it was running fine 6 months ago, and has gotten progressively richer. Or that could just be in my head.

I'm considering investing in a carb tune-up by a Ducati dealer, but would like to be able to fix this on my own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update: I got the bike running.

I cleaned the plugs. They were black and wet, but not a lot.

Also, took the cover off the airbox and sprayed some seafoam into the air intakes (hoping to free up anything clogged there...we've had a lot of humidity lately and rain so I thought something might be clogged from moisture), let the bike sit for an hour and started it.

I still need to get to the underlying problem. It takes about 30 minutes of driving above 4000 RPM to get the bike 'warmed up' so that it won't backfire and bog without choke being on about 1/4 of the way.

I have rebuilt the carbs (6 months ago) and reset the float heights (possibly wrong - it's difficult with the angle of the carbs to know if I'm measuring correctly.

I doubt 70% humidity, 90 degree weather are enough to cause this. It's like it was running fine 6 months ago, and has gotten progressively richer. Or that could just be in my head.

I'm considering investing in a carb tune-up by a Ducati dealer, but would like to be able to fix this on my own.

Here is one way of setting the float level

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts