Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode 300mi yesterday in some rural areas and got a chance to play with the bike ('12 Pikes Peak) on some farm roads. I had a couple experiences where the power cut out (in Sport Mode) under hard exceleration. It just briefly cut power and then came back on. I wondered if the DTC kicked in because the rear tire started to lose grip (on pavement with the front wheel skipping along lightly)? Seemed way premature to me but I've never had Traction control before. I also had it happen on the dirt in Enduro mode. I was spinning the rear tire and letting it slide around a bit and then... the power cut and back on again?

At the risk of getting blasted for having a little fun on rural rodes, I like to do the occasional burnout, power slide and wheelie. Sometimes at the same time. I'm an experienced rider (30 years) and have had a number of sport bikes. If this is the DTC kicking in, I'm thinking of lowering the setting so it's less intrusive. If not, I'm worried that something is wrong. :( And last, no the rev limiter didn't kick in!:)

Any thoughts from those that like play around a bit?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Rode 300mi yesterday in some rural areas and got a chance to play with the bike ('12 Pikes Peak) on some farm roads.

At the risk of getting blasted for having a little fun on rural roads........

Any thoughts from those that like play around a bit?
Chris

Reading your entire question why not just disable your DTC?

You seem to be that kind of rider, anyway.

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris

Reading your entire question why not just disable your DTC?

You seem to be that kind of rider, anyway.

Dan
Dan

For aggressive riding, I believe that you are right. I'll probably change sport mode to more of a track mode and change touring mode to my commuter mode. Most of my riding is not aggressive. I just like to mess around a bit when out in the more remote areas.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
NEVER apologize for having fun...
It is a sign of weakness...

Go rip her up and have a ball...

I have most of my fun on country roads ...
Don't forget to wave at ALL the farmers.....
You are on THEIR ROAD....:)

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
You can lower the DTC to setting 1 or 2 in sports, but if your planning on drifting the bike on gravel/dirt then you need to disable DTC altogether.. But that requires the bike to be idling stationery as i recall. Dtc in sports is at lvl 3 from the factory and level 1 in enduro. Touring i think its level 5 and urban is level 7 or something.

Turning the DTC off is quite easy and since Ducati recommends the bike be stationery when your changing modes, then its easyenough.

Ive had some dtc intrussions, mostly in the wet and on gravel, but the flashing round part of the dash tells the truth.. My right hand is usually the culprit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Turning the DTC off is quite easy and since Ducati recommends the bike be stationery when your changing modes, then its easyenough.
The bike does not need to be stationary when changing between modes.

You need to be stationary to adjust the modes, ie, edit the settings of a mode.
You need to be stationary to turn ABS or DTC off/on.
(Actually you cant access those menus while moving...)

But changing from one mode to another, or selecting a suspension mode can be done on the fly. That is what it is desgned to do...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I never have found a really good description of how the DTC works.One guy did post that it's looking at front and rear wheel speed and if there is a sudden difference, (front wheel 'skips' up...or rear wheel looses traction and speeds up), the DTC acts. So how do you do a 'wheelie'? Also...what does the DTC do? Does it CUT the engine? (I would doubt that). Does it reduce power? By how much? In stages? If we can underderstand HOW it works, we can 'manage' it better I feel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Operating principle of DTC
The DTC function integrated in the BBS controls engine torque delivery to prevent loss of rear wheel grip. The BBS receives the angular speed signals relative to the front and rear wheels. In relation to the wheel diameter and tyre cross section, these signals is converted into the tangential speed values for the front and rear wheels. The vehicle speed is ascertained from these values and transmitted to the dashboard over the CAN network. If the tangential speed of the rear wheel exceeds the tangential speed of the front wheel by a given percentage, this indicates that the rear wheel is wheelspinning excessively. At this point the DTC intervenes, requesting the ECU to reduce engine torque. A number of other sensors are also included inside the BBS to deter*mine if the vehicle is wheeling, in which case the DTC will not intervene until a predetermined vehicle speed is reached. To en*sure that the Ducati Traction Control functions correctly, never fit tyres other than those authorised by Ducati. On the Multistrada 1200 there are 8 different DTC levels (from 1 to 8):
- 1 - 2 permit a high degree of rear wheelspin (DTC has a limited engine torque reduction action) and are used for riding the bike on gravel roads. Enduro riding

- 3 - 4 permit a normal degree of rear wheelspin and are used for sports riding. Sports riding

- 5 - 7 reduce rear wheelspin and are used for Touring or Urban riding

- 8 significantly reduces rear wheelspin (DTC has a substantial engine torque reduction action) and is used for riding on wet tar*mac. Rain riding

The DTC may be disabled by the rider.

All in the manual.

Try spinning the rear on gravel or grass and you'll get a good idea of what the system does at its most exagerated. And yes it cuts the engine, oops, sorry, applys a substantial engine torque reduction action!:)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes Ted....I read that...but you imply it simply 'chops' the power? Are you sure?
And how the hell does it know if you are doing a wheelie...and thus NOT chop the power??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is what seems to be a reasonable recent article on it. Time to do more digging me-thinks. The manual also mentions multiple accelerometer errors that are possible so there may well be more than one accelerometer as this article suggests on Ducatis. They say that the wheelie detection is still based on the wheel speed sensors using the fact that the front wheel is slowing in relation to the rear rather than the rear increasing in relation to the front. Hmmm.

Traction Control Explained

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thats a good article...thanks Ted...so "Ducati retards the ignition timing (fine modulation, limited range of authority, immediate response) and also drops cylinders". Mmmm....so it does try to be nice and clever. Good stuff to know...I better go play a bit more...and try not to drop it!

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Thats a good article...thanks Ted...so "Ducati retards the ignition timing (fine modulation, limited range of authority, immediate response) and also drops cylinders". Mmmm....so it does try to be nice and clever. Good stuff to know...I better go play a bit more...and try not to drop it!

Be sure to keep an eye on that pitch axis.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts