Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know that different DTC modes alter the rpm where the fuel and ignition cut in to limit power but do different levels of the DTC determine the total output of the engine before the DTC steps in?

I have it set on Level 4 now, never really had the urge to set it any lower.
Level 8,7 and even 6 was a joke. 5 cut in way to early and 4 seems to be just right.

I'm not good or real comfortable at riding wheelies although I have rode some good distance wheelies in my opinion.

I know that tons of you are better riders on here than me and I'm not afraid to ask but I have to admit, kinda apprehensive about setting it lower than 4. Don't want to do something stupid.

I got the Redline ECU reflash, 14th front sprocket and Termi with Duc EE and I know that on level 1 it would be probably too much for me but I'm willing to try.:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
To be honest, I turned mine off after getting sideways a few times the day after I bought the bike. There will be some unequal spinning of front and rear wheels when you're going at speed and that's totally normal, and I hated the feeling of control being taken away for a second.

I hear on the track people can hone in on the DTC to use it's full potential.. but my personal opinion is that you shouldn't need it at all, or be afraid of setting it at 1, because most bikes don't even have it. You can be as crazy as you want as long as you have control over your wrist, ya know?

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
Dtc levels do not effect power output on the SF. The sf has cable driven throttle bodies not TBW. Only your hand can control the throttle.

I turned my dtc off the first day I got the bike and I've only used it once for a track day at barber. I set it on level three and I don't think it ever engaged.

Dtc will inhibit wheelies and I like to do them once in awhile so I'd rather it not interfere.

I'm just not a guy who's going to go to the track and pin it out of every corner and let the computer do the work so it's just a bother to me, I'd rather not have dtc on my bikes.

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Dtc levels do not effect power output on the SF. The sf has cable driven throttle bodies not TBW. Only your hand can control the throttle.

I turned my dtc off the first day I got the bike and I've only used it once for a track day at barber. I set it on level three and I don't think it ever engaged.

Dtc will inhibit wheelies and I like to do them once in awhile so I'd rather it not interfere.

I'm just not a guy who's going to go to the track and pin it out of every corner and let the computer do the work so it's just a bother to me, I'd rather not have dtc on my bikes.
Well put flyn, as another also too, this thing wont eat your young or turn monsterish without DTC, it's in your hand again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Safety measures are always positive on a bike. But I'd rather rely on skill and experience instead of technology.

As of DTC on the SF.... I was riding with beautiful weather and suddenly after awhile I got stuck in heavy rain. There was a slippery turn up ahead and my Sf started losing control and then the DTC kicked in. This is the first and only time the DTC has actually helped me stabilize the bike.

Now after experiencing what Dtc can do I rarely set it off. Because you never know what might be on the road (even in dry weather) On my older bike without Dtc I have ridden over a small oil stain on the road. Stablized the bike with bodycontrol... but this will not always work.

Dtc can be a lifesaver especially on public roads. Atleast you have an option to shut it off to ride on track or do some wheelies.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I notice two situations where my wheel spins, right when it is cold, at the end of my street when I am pulling onto the man road, even under medium power it regularly spins. Second is when the rear tire is near the end of its life, then the dtc lights come on regularly. But even then I've had the front tire come up on corner exit so I was worried the old tire was spinning a little on the rim.

Really, I'm very impressed with these guys whose traction control is actually engaging. On the skill scale of beginner, intermediate, advanced, race I'm probably early advanced and a bit ballsy, and my dtc is almost never engaging, even on level 3. It could be because its been so hot and I've got tons of grip and just need to be better to get it activate.

Anything damp or grey on the roads and it immediately comes on to 3 or 4.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Whether DTC activates depends on available grip and what you are doing with the throttle, that's true, but the gear you are in is also a factor. Tires break grip and trigger DTC most easily when you are in a gear that has you near the torque peak for the speed you are running. Open the throttle mid-corner in a low gear with revs already up and you can add big torque suddenly as you move up though the peak. DTC will cut in to save the slide, either stifling it completely, or allowing some (or a lot) of slip depending on the setting. On the other hand, if you are in a higher gear at the same vehicle speed, the engine will be below the torque peak, and whacking open the throttle mid-corner may not add enough torque quickly enough to break grip and activate DTC.

Worn tires or poor grip conditions obviously affect this, making DTC come on sooner in both situations, but still riding in a higher gear lessens the chance this will happen.

I think this is why some people always seem to activate DTC on the road and others who ride about the same speed almost never do. It's down to whether you like riding at high revs or with the engine feeling more relaxed at mid revs in a higher gear.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I use 2 on the roads, and 6 in city and rain.

I've had it kick in on 2 and it was about right. The Urban mode (with 150 low) and with the level 6 dtc is great in the slip hazards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
DCT and DDA

Turn on your DDA and view the data after your ride. I am often surprised how often the DTC is activated, even with the DTC set on level 2.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
I agree with using it in rain, but I don't ride the beast in the rain, and I have only been happy with it set at zero. I do not do track days but any time I used DTC, my nuts got smashed because of my wheelies getting cut short. I believe I was the first to rename DTC, "Ducati Testicle Crusher" :eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think another reason to turn it off is because it'll react if you run over the bumps in between lanes. I didn't like seeing a big red flash on the cluster. To each his own. It may save you, but it could cause serious accidents if it kicks in at the wrong time, like ABS. There have been quite a few mysterious crashes where the bike suddenly slides out for no reason, and I have a feeling it has something to do with DTC.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think another reason to turn it off is because it'll react if you run over the bumps in between lanes. I didn't like seeing a big red flash on the cluster. To each his own. It may save you, but it could cause serious accidents if it kicks in at the wrong time, like ABS. There have been quite a few mysterious crashes where the bike suddenly slides out for no reason, and I have a feeling it has something to do with DTC.
i like everyone else started on level 8 and in the first 2 rides had turned it down, down, then off.
even on the low settings on the rough roads, it kicks in all the time over bumps.
i'd prob play with it on track tho at like level 2 maybe.

p.s. i am one of the slower riders of my friends and maybe on the most powerful bike.
dont be frightened. did your last bike with 140hp have traction control??

·
Registered
180 Posts
I could read the manual, but the yellow lights flashing indicate that the DTC is activated right?

I think I've activated it twice in 1200 miles (on DTC Lvl 4)...I tried pinning the throttle in 2nd and the lights never came on..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
use it on the track...it might save your @ss...

didnt use it once with new and cold tyres and wont do that again...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I could read the manual, but the yellow lights flashing indicate that the DTC is activated right?

I think I've activated it twice in 1200 miles (on DTC Lvl 4)...I tried pinning the throttle in 2nd and the lights never came on..
Red lights at both ends of the cluster. Those activate at a moderate intervention, along with the center one during a large intervention.

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
DTC is mostly safety theater on a motorcycle but certainly would have use for novices on powerful motorcycles (read USA with no learner laws). DTC is to prevent high sides which are hardly a common cause of accidents on the street. ABS is the safety feature you want from a crash prevention perspective

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
use it on the track...it might save your @ss...

didnt use it once with new and cold tyres and wont do that again...
Amazing luck not getting catapulted.

Technology is your friend. Make use of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts